ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Cedar Mesa (Utah)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 2/15/2015, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Cedar Mesa (Utah) Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi Geo and anybody,
I'd like to plan another backpack off Utah's beautiful Cedar Mesa. This would be about three nights in the canyons, so about four and one-half days with driving. The first night would be meet-up at the Kane Gulch ranger station. The next morning we'll enter the canyons. There is mucho archaeology there and rugged almost untouched trails for backpackers. Beautiful photography and places seldom seen. There is an awesome arch to be photographed and possibly scrambled to by the energetic.

After the second night, there is generally reliable water (bring a water filter), and some camp spaces next to Beaver pools and dams. The third night/day is optional, but will allow some time to explore farther upstream which is supposed to have more rarely seen archaeology.

The exit up to the Mesa is a fairly rigorous two-hour vertical gain followed by an approximately 12' crack climb (I did it with a full backpack and a dog). Then it's about two and one-half easy level miles to the parking lot/trailhead.

This is a very remote backcountry trek, so you must have equipment and some previous backpacking experience. Carpooling can be arranged and more details if you PM me. JW.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/prog/more/cultural/archaeology/places_to_visit/kane_gulch.html

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Hikerdon74

PostPosted: 3/5/2015, 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have done the Kane Gulch and out Bullet Canyon leg of Grand Gulch. My trip was cut short by a fellow hiker that experienced a health problem. I have always wanted to go back to finish the hike. I am assuming you are talking Grand Gulch. However, I'm open to hiking some of the other canyons in the Mesa. Where will you exit? Have you decided on the when, where and how? -Don
JW

PostPosted: 3/5/2015, 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikerdon74 wrote:
I have done the Kane Gulch and out Bullet Canyon leg of Grand Gulch. My trip was cut short by a fellow hiker that experienced a health problem. I have always wanted to go back to finish the hike. I am assuming you are talking Grand Gulch. However, I'm open to hiking some of the other canyons in the Mesa. Where will you exit? Have you decided on the when, where and how? -Don
Hi Don,
Grand Gulch, Bullet, and Kane Gulch are outstanding, and I had great times in those canyons. However, I've never done the possible loops due to the unreliability of water.

This trip will be a return to Owl and Fish. Both times I've done those as a loop, there was good water (but no guarantees). I'm open to doing other canyons, but Owl and Fish can be a good trip of two-three nights, four-five days overall.

George may be able to go, but he has to still arrange his days off from work. No one else has replied so far. My March-April schedule is flexible, so the dates depend on what days other people have available. JW.

http://www.utah.com/hike/fish_creek.htm

Hikerdon74

PostPosted: 3/11/2015, 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I could do this anytime 3rd week of March to April 15th. I have a raft trip thru Gr Cyn starting April 20th. Could also do later in May. I live in Kansas, so have to plan extra time for driving.
Don
JW

PostPosted: 3/11/2015, 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikerdon74 wrote:
I could do this anytime 3rd week of March to April 15th. I have a raft trip thru Gr Cyn starting April 20th. Could also do later in May. I live in Kansas, so have to plan extra time for driving.
Don
Hi Don, those timeframes could work for me. I'm still trying to line-up a couple more people.

Your Canyon raft trip should be outstanding in April. I'll be doing an April 30th canoe/raft on the Green to the Colorado and then through Cataract Canyon. However, I'll only be doing the canoe part, due to carpooling logistics, etc. JW.

JW

PostPosted: 3/20/2015, 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

JW wrote:
Hikerdon74 wrote:
Don
Hi Don, those timeframes could work for me. I'm still trying to line-up a couple more people.

Your Canyon raft trip should be outstanding in April. I'll be doing an April 30th canoe/raft on the Green to the Colorado and then through Cataract Canyon. However, I'll only be doing the canoe part, due to carpooling logistics, etc. JW.
Don, can you make Apr 3 - 6th? JW.

azhiker96

PostPosted: 4/6/2015, 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Beautiful canyons JW. It will take me awhile to sort through my photos. Thanks for planning this one.
JW

PostPosted: 4/7/2015, 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yo Geo, Thanks for signing up and taking the lead! You're the best, buddy! I'll get around to my pictures.

desertgirl

PostPosted: 4/10/2015, 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pics ? Very Happy
JW

PostPosted: 4/11/2015, 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

WIN7/WIN8.1 don't want to talk to my camera - working on that. Saw a neat arch not on the maps. Geo has a lot of pictures.

azhiker96

PostPosted: 4/12/2015, 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Photos are up.

http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albut90&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
JW

PostPosted: 4/12/2015, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You are the man! Great pictures! Next time the plan should be clockwise with an additional day to look in upper Fish Creek and the lower couple miles below the convergence. JW.

wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 4/12/2015, 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow! Pics were wonderful. What an interesting looking trek.

Nice to see some getting out and posting their adventures again thank you both for sharing.

Waiting on your pics now JW Wink

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azhiker96

PostPosted: 4/13/2015, 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes JW, that area deserves more time. I think a week would be nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: