ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Help me plan my AZ road trip (newb)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrailJumper

PostPosted: 2/6/2014, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Help me plan my AZ road trip (newb) Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sup AZ hikers. 1st post.

I'm headed to AZ from Chicago on March 1st, (into Phoenix) and have 5-1/2 days to roam solo. After that I meet up in Scottsdale with my gf and parents for the weekend, which is mostly planned.

I rented an SUV, and am willing to camp or stay at a local Bates motel if need be. I love mountain biking, (technical single track) and hiking, camping, and just exploring desert towns. Haven't snowboarded in like 3 years, since I lived in Vegas. I have ventured into Utah plenty, but am pretty much a newb when in comes to AZ. I drove out to Flagstaff for a weekend once for mountain biking once, and was planning on hitting up Sedona, but it happened to be monsoon season, which I was not aware of. So MTB'ing was put off. Never made it to Sedona.

So. 6 days. March 1st - March 6th. I plan on renting a mountain bike wherever needed. I have a new backpack that is good for an overnight haul. I don't mind camping in colder weather, but don't think I have the gear for anything under 40 deg's at night. Hopefully campfire are allowed.

I like the sound of Sedona, riding Phoenix area, Bissbee, but really don't know where I'm going. Seems like there's lots of hidden gems that aren't really too well known. Although I'm sure early March will be cold for camping, keep in mind I'm from Chicago, and it's been near below zero for 3 months now, (not joking). Worst winter ever. I could walk around outside in a hoody in 30 deg weather and be fine at this point.

Suggestions? Make me a loop? Where to camp, what to see. I like small town desert culture and historical spots as well. Native American dwellings are cool as we don't see much of that up here. Technical mountain bike trail info is always welcome. Weather condition warnings too.

Feel free to waste your company time, by showering me with suggestions!

Thanks!

Chris
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/10/2014, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This site http://hikearizona.com/ might be a better place to ask your questions. The community there is way more active at this time and there are some mtn bike enthusists there as well ...

March is a good time in the deserts ... You could do a couple of days ( actually there is much day hiking) in the Superstitions. Check out you options - hikearizona site has a cool "Find" feature that will allow you locate some good hikes and hikes with Ruins. Some of areas will be filled with wildflowers ( this is year will not be great but still desert in bloom is something special)

Just watch out -- water availability & sun exposure is always something you want pay particular attention to here even in cooler months

Enjoy your AZ trip
TrailJumper

PostPosted: 2/10/2014, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks!
TrailJumper

PostPosted: 2/10/2014, 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What elevation wise, should I expect to be nice out. 60's-80's?

As far as setting up camp? Should I stay below, say, 4k'?

I lived in Vegas for a year, so I recall early spring could be mighty windy and cold if you were exposed.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/10/2014, 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Western Supes will be fairly warm by March except if there is "weather".... Western Supes will generally be much lower than 4K elev unless you are up on ridge-lines...generally most camping areas will be in valleys, some near springs. Eastern Supes can still be cooler....just depends where you go.

Current day highs are in the mid-seventies and by March it can be warmer ( hopefully not too much warmer). Night temps -- Just checked Lows in 50's for this week

You will just have to keep an eye for the local area as your trip nears ....HikeArizona does map intop the nearest weather at top right in the hike description. ( Historical Weather & TH weather).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: