ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Grand Canyon - Powell Plateau 09/13-09/15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(0)
User
NickSmolinske

PostPosted: 9/6/2013, 12:14 pm    Post subject: Grand Canyon - Powell Plateau 09/13-09/15 Reply to topic Reply with quote

EDIT: I filled my open spots on this locally, and I might end up cancelling the trip anyway, due to the road conditions if this weather persists.

I have a permit for two nights on Powell Plateau next weekend, off of the North Rim of the canyon. I've got one person going with me, but I have two more spots on my permit. The general plan is this:

Leave Flagstaff the evening of Thursday the 12th (camping at Marble Canyon), or early on Friday the 13th.
    09/13: Park at Swamp Point, and hike to Dutton Point with enough water to get there and back. Search for water on the way. Camp at Dutton point.
    09/14: Search for Cougar Spring in Dutton Canyon, just off the plateau.
    If we find water, spend a second night at a different viewpoint. Otherwise, hike back to the car early, or hike back to the reliable spring at Muav Saddle and camp at a viewpoint closer to the car.
    09/15: Return to Flagstaff Sunday evening.

Powell Plateau is a ponderosa pine forested plateau which has never been logged, and Dutton Point is one of the more remote views of the canyon. The trip will be great even if we just hike there and back, but I'm hoping to find water so that we can spend a second night out. That said, everyone needs to be prepared for a remote hike and dry camp, carrying at least two gallons of water per person.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: