ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Grand Canyon fun time planned for April GHOTM!!!! 4/26,27,28
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(7) (2) (0)
User
Hikngrl
beckett
Hnak
GTG
paintninaz
Shawn
outside1
User
desertgirl
tibber
User
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Hikngrl
PostPosted: 3/23/2013, 6:52 pm    Post subject: Grand Canyon fun time planned for April GHOTM!!!! 4/26,27,28 Reply with quote

Ok it was decided today during what turned out to be the March GHOTM to take a long weekend and go to the Canyon for April's fun! The dates planned are April 26, 27, 28. Plan is loose right now but includes a two night camp on our closed road just outside Tusayon and various different day hikes that can be done to suit your fancy/ current abilities. Needless to say my current abilities are not up to my old standards so we can't plan a rim to rim for this thing!. Some ideas thrown about were down to Horseshoe Mesa, Down to Dripping Springs, down Kiabab to the Tonto and over then out the Bright Angle (a bit longer than most).... the list is longer and we are willing to discuss it here on this thread. We don't all have to hike the same hike but it would be fun if at the end of our hikes we all came back to the same camp and had a nice fire and some fun and food! Friday will be a driving/ social day. Hiking can be done both Saturday and Sunday if you'd like. Or! You don't have to hike at all. You can just hang out and have fun with us at my favorite place in the world! This one will be incredibly flexible! What do you all think? Let's talk about it!

paintninaz

PostPosted: 4/23/2013, 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
ya -- we can hike a Very Happy bit om Sunday as well ....

Great! Very Happy

Due to another obligation on Saturday, and the inability to master being two places at once, we’ll have to forgo the hike on Saturday. But not to miss out on all the fun, (and since Diane’s original post said hiking was not mandatory Wink ), we’ll be arriving Saturday evening for the campfire festivities campfire , and would love to hike on Sunday with anyone that wants to!! Hiking

So, has the campground spot been decided? Do we have directions so we’re all on the same page? I need to know where to find you guys!!

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 4/23/2013, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Anyone up for hiking the AZ segement ? Passage #37 - Grand Canyon - South Rim

Me . . .
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 4/24/2013, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

At this time it looks like the goal will be the Grandview look out tower camp site. Most seem to be leaning toward hiking the AZ trail segment in small sections which seems like a pretty good idea. Ambika and Angela seem to have maps of the section am I right girls?

Who ever gets up there first should grab as much area as possible for the rest of us. Dont know that I have ever camped there so not sure what the layout is like and if we should expect to have to fight for our spots.... We will be arriving around 1400 or there after I hope. If we get there and can't claim enough room for all we will have to move to our old closed road out side Tusayon I guess. I think we have phone numbers for most every one to be able to communicate that if need be.

Not coordinating meals this time amongst every one. We will make every one responsible for their own meals and if they want to bring snacks and stuff to share that is fine too! Linda I coming up with us so we will coordinate our meals between the three of us to share space. It has been working out real well this way the and we of course have still had far more food than needed!

Michelle I am sorry you won't be amking it. We will miss you! Enjoy your warm bed!

I want to shine!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 4/24/2013, 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll miss coming up too!! Crying or Very sad

But I'll be thinkin of y'all Enjoy the weekend !!!
Besides the no entrance fee, isn't this a Special weekend ?

Temps don't look that bad, day temps look really nice, good for hiking ! cool evening but we've been through worse, just bring that comfy warm down comforter for car camping and all will be well Wink

More food than we ever need? Never happens Laughing

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 4/25/2013, 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh crap! Is this a no entry fee weekend? I didn't realize hat. Too late now. It's in the works! I will just be forced to enjoy myself anyway!

I want to shine!
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 4/25/2013, 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Last time we were there -- no permit & no fire restrictions as far as I can recall. They do have pit toilet in the area

Got some good directions or a name of the site?

Thanks,
GTG
desertgirl

PostPosted: 4/25/2013, 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Location is Grand View Lookout Tower

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lon=-111.9546065&lat=35.9577637&datum=nad83

Grand View Lookoout Tower. The best access is to take the East Rim Drive past GrandView point and look for a turnoff to the right that will put you on gravel road past the NP bounday and on to the look out area. THe camp spot is the open area near the intersection of 2 roads -- if you are by the towers you can see the open area.

I will try to dig up the old thread when we camped there --

AZ TRail is signed at this location so I will look at directions for TH from AZTrail
GPS Co-ordinates for GranView Look out Tower AZ Trail Trailhead 35.95746° N, 111.95547° W Located on the Coconino Rim Road (FR310?)
Link below :
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=35.95746%C2%B0+N,+111.95547%C2%B0+W&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=35.78743,-111.87562&sspn=0.009835,0.013797&mra=ls&t=m&z=16

Camp area is to left of the triangle of the roads diagonally across from the tower.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 4/25/2013, 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Folks

I have to be in town late Friday & Angela & I will drive up Sat AM .... If you are planning an early Sat AM hike -- I will not be there.

Our plan is to come into Tusayan & make our way up to SKaibab TH and hike down to Tusayan & glamp ( at a hotel -- since I a wimp Embarassed I have a nasty cold that is hanging on and since I have to leave to go to India in 2 weeks -- I dont want to aggravate it by camping out in the "elements").

Our plan for Sunday AM is to hike ~ 14 miles from GrandView point ( our camp location towards the town of Tusayan) ...If more are interested we can prestage a vhicle to make this hike shorter for some. I think Tracy & Shawn are on along with Angela and me. Who else is wanting to do this -- reason I ask is so we can stage adequate vehicles at the right locations to support everyone that wants to do this section.

Overall this is a moderate to easy terrain -- not as glamorous as hiking in the Canyon ...but its is the AZTrail!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 4/25/2013, 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok found the old event

Directions : Directions to TH:
From Tusayan: Turn right on FR302 (0.8 miles pas Grand Canyon Airport Entrance). Follow signs along this road for approximately 16 miles to Grand View Lookout Tower
From Grand Canyon South Entrance: From Entrance Station, drive north 4 miles to a right turn on AZ64. Drive east on AZ64 approximately 8.7 miles where you will see a left turn sign for Grandview point. Continue driving on AZ64 for 2 miles. Turn right on a gravel road. Drive 0.5 miles on this road to Grand Canyon National Forest boundary. There is an old cabin at this point. Continue on this road FR310 for 0.8 miles to GrandView Lookout Tower ( Shortest drive on dirt road but you need a park pass or pay the $25!)

Link to that event: http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8368
desertgirl

PostPosted: 4/25/2013, 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I dont think anyone is going to be tramping AZ trail any more just because its a free weekend. I am confident of the solitude ...also as long as no one is getting married -- a walk out Shoshone point will give you an uncrowded view point
Hnak

PostPosted: 4/26/2013, 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll be there mid afternoon on Saturday. Just too much to do here, but I will get away for a while to visit in the evening... See y'all there.. Very Happy
beckett

PostPosted: 4/28/2013, 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great weekend! So sorry so many of you missed it. Try to make the next Group Hike of the Month! Always fun to see everyone!

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
desertgirl

PostPosted: 4/29/2013, 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Indeed a great weekend. Diane - thanks for the initiative to put this up. It was so wonderful to see all of your -- there is something to be said for the pleasure that cacthing up around the campfire brings! It was good to catch up....

Angela -- Thanks for hanging with me on AZ trail and making it fun....
Tracy & Shawn -- Good to hike with you both -- one more section of AZ trail almost done ...so many more to go Very Happy

Pics to come later today....
paintninaz

PostPosted: 4/29/2013, 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What a good time!! It was great seeing everyone around the campfire, lots of laughs, as always!

Sunday was a beautiful day for a pretty hike through the woods, all 14.5 (or 15.5, depending on whose GPS you want to believe Wink ) miles of it...and made the double scoop ice cream cone following the hike a well deserved one!! (At least that was how I justified it!) Mr. Green

I'm already looking forward to the next time!!!!

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
desertgirl

PostPosted: 4/29/2013, 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

More Pics: http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albus26&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: