ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Keet Seel - 5/31/13 - 6/2/13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(6) One slot left to register. (0) 10 slots left to register.
User
Hikngrl
desertgirl
Hnak
bigfoot
diamondbacks
chihiggs
User
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
PostPosted: 2/7/2013, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Keet Seel - 5/31/13 - 6/2/13 Reply with quote

Keet Seel - May 31st - June 2nd

(Optional June 2nd hike to Betatakin and/or a side-trip to a "Special" place)

This is an overnight backpacking trip to one of the most pristine ruin sites in the desert Southwest. Only 20 visitors per day are allowed to visit the ruins. We have a permit for 10 people. We hike out as a group Saturday morning, and visit the ruins with the ranger that stays on-site.

The hike down from Navajo National Monument NP is about 8 miles through some of the most beautiful country you'll find in Arizona.

The trail looks to be of "moderate" difficulty which, of course depends upon your ability.

You'll lose about 800 feet in elevation in the first 3/4 mile, which is good news on the way there, bad news on the way back! The rest of the hike out has about 400 feet of gain in one area, followed by a 300 foot descent and a slow incline of 400 feet the rest of the way to the site.

Here's the plan:

* Arrive Friday night, May 31st.
* Pick a campsite in Sunset View campground (this one has a bathroom & water, but no showers)
* Form up as a group on Saturday morning, 8:00AM sharp to hear the mandatory instructions from one of the park Rangers.
* Hike as a group to Keet Seel. We are all on 1 permit. We must hike together.
* Set up camp at the Keet Seel camping area.
* Take Ranger-led hike to the ruins. They take small groups of 5-7 people at a time. The trip lasts bout an hour.
* Explore the area.
* Have our evening feast and improvised campfire (no actual fires permitted!).
* Breakfast feast Sunday morning.
* Form up as a group at 9:00AM for the hike back to our vehicles.

I suggest that participants get there Friday night and camp in one of the two FREE campgrounds. I have obtained the permit for 10 people for the hike to the ruins on Saturday morning. We must all hike as a group. Please sign up early and be assured of a permit slot.

You'll need to take all water with you that you'll require for the hike down, camping, and the hike out. There is a stream that runs through the valley but it's fouled by the cattle and sheep that roam the area. Heavy metals are also present in the stream.

The only cost for the trip are your expenses to and from Navajo National Monument (carpooling strongly suggested) and your food/beverages.

There are 2 campgrounds in the park (Sunset view-has a bathroom and water, Canyon View is primitive); both of which are FREE!

Since we should be back relatively early Sunday, there's a Ranger-led hike down to Betatakin that you may enjoy That's also an option for anyone that wants to come up, but not go on the overnight to Keet Seel. Navajo National Monument isn't too far from Monument Valley, so that's another possible side-trip.

In addition, for anyone that would like to stop by one of the most interesting (and by interesting I mean a place unlike any you've likely seen anywhere else!) and beautiful places in Arizona, we can take a side-trip on the way back. (It's not the place that I took some of you on the previous Keet Seel excursion, although we can stop there also!!!)

Here's a link to the NP website for general information about the park : http://www.nps.gov/nava/index.htm

Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 4/24/2013, 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Ken. So sad you can't make it. Crying or Very sad

I want to shine!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 5/3/2013, 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Any idea if anyone is going to make it for the 4:00 pm Ranger talk on Friday so we can get off to an early start on Saturday ...rather than troop in to the ranger talk at 8:00 am ?

It would be nice to get hiking early on Saturday so we can not be out baking in the hot afternoon sun!
diamondbacks

PostPosted: 5/3/2013, 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm planning on heading up early on Friday and will be sure to get there in time to attend the 4 pm orientation talk. An early start on Saturday sounds like a good idea!

David
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 5/4/2013, 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Being unsure if where I am going I can not answer for sure if I will be there in time but it will be my goal to leave as early as possible Friday AM.

I want to shine!
bigfoot

PostPosted: 5/5/2013, 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dear David and Diane,
Thanks for helping to get the ranger orientation out of the way.
I am still planning on joining the hike. FYI...I checked the NPS website, the ranger orientations are scheduled for 8.15 a.m and 3.30 p.m (not 4.00 p.m). Since I am flying in from Austin, I am unable to make the 3.30 p.m orientation. Please let desertgirl and I know when we plan to start the hike on saturday. I'll make sure we are there for the start. This is one I've been trying so hard to do - but kept missing due to life's commitments Rolling Eyes - hope this time I am lucky. Mr. Green

Do not compare yourself with others; you will end up bitter or vain - for there will always be people better or lesser than yourself.
diamondbacks

PostPosted: 5/11/2013, 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Only 20 days away, can't wait! Very Happy

FYI - looks like the ranger orientation the evening before is actually at 3 pm, I'll be leaving early Friday morning and will be there in time to attend. I'm happy to carpool if anyone is interested. Below is the link to the PDF file with the 2013 hiking information for Keet Seel.

http://www.nps.gov/nava/planyourvisit/upload/Keet-Seel-Hike-Information-2013.pdf

David
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 5/11/2013, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So how long does it take to get from here to there? So I can figure out what time I need to leave Friday morning?

I want to shine!
diamondbacks

PostPosted: 5/12/2013, 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Diane and others,

Judging from Google maps it looks to be about a 4 1/2 to 5 hour drive from Phoenix. Remember, we will also lose an hour on the drive there with the time change as the Navajo Nation is on Mountain Daylight Savings time.

David
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 5/15/2013, 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Getting closer and hoping weather holds out this time.

I'm excited for you all !!!
Bigfoot hope it still works out for you this time.... I also plan to get there one day, but things just haven't worked for me so far.... I'll keep it on my list Wink

I'll be watching for the After Hike Post. I'm sure you all will have a Great time.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
desertgirl

PostPosted: 5/20/2013, 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok back in the US now & can now look forward to this ....Any thoughts on what time we are planning on starting our hike on Saturday.

I will have to work late Friday so I may be arriving Saturday AM directly for this hike ....do we have an Estimated Start Time so Guru & I can plan our departure to make there in time for Sat AM hike in
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 5/20/2013, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am not sure I understand the question of when we will start the hike as I thought we had to hike with. A guide. This then may mean it is up to when we can get a guide to hike us in? Or is the hike not with the guide. Just the tour of the ruins? If that's the case then Sat AM people maybe are the right people to drive the time since those of us already in place will indeed be in place and ready by the time Sat AM people get there? Do you have any idea what time you might be able to be there? Thoughts?

I want to shine!
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 5/20/2013, 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

P.S! HNAK! Where are you!? Beam me up

I want to shine!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 5/22/2013, 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My understandingis that we hike in as a group w/o a guide and then meet up with a ranger to complete the tour of the ruins.

I am thinking a 7:00 am start for hike --- any thoughts
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 5/24/2013, 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If anyone else is bailing today is the day I need to know as I need to call and confirm the permit ! 0700 is a good time for me!

I want to shine!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 5/24/2013, 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Guru & I are in for sure ....Cant wait to go hike with all of you Hiking Lets go for a walk!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: