ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
GHOTM: MARSH VALLEY LOOP January 12, 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(4) 7 slots left to register. (3) 10 slots left to register. (0) 9 slots left to register.
User
Trishness
desertgirl
outside1
bigfoot
User
hiking2
oliverr99
azbackpackr
User
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Trishness
PostPosted: 9/20/2012, 8:38 pm    Post subject: GHOTM: MARSH VALLEY LOOP January 12, 2013 Reply with quote

*******Please note Time Change to 7:30 AM Start********

This is a spectacular 15+ mile loop hike that takes you from First Water TH through some very scenic and remote sections of the western Superstitions. The plan is to meet at First Water TH at 6:30 AM and head out Second Water Trail #236-->Boulder Canyon #103--> Calvary #239-->Bull Pass #129 and then back on Dutchman #104. I'd like to do a quick trip up to Black Top Mesa if time permits. I love this hike and it will be an all day event. We can go to Dos Gringos in AJ post hike for libations and well deserved carbs.

For my west-side friends......I know this is a real trek for y'all and you'll need to leave at half past dark o'clock to get to the TH for 7:30 so if people want to drive out to my house on Friday and spend the night I can put up several people here if you can put up with two rambunctious cats and my dad (Clint) who will talk your ear off. I can take 5 people in my vehicle to the TH.

Let's kick off 2013 with this great hike!

Trish

Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/3/2013, 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

tibber wrote:
Any thot to hiking it in CC direction since we hiked it clockwise last year? You'd have 2 tough hills instead of 1... but not bad I think.

No......We're going to do this clockwise as we did last year. Are you going? I didn't see that you committed yet

Wink

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
chihiggs

PostPosted: 1/6/2013, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish and to all of you whom are going on the hike--AWESOME!! Water in every canyon; running water in many places Exclamation Exclamation

Marsh Valley is beautiful with its sycamores and deer. Entering from the West coming down the Cavalry Trail (239 I think) at about the 6.5 mile marker--look North. There looks to be a cave but we didn't try squeezing in but going to definitely head back to investigate. It is located as you first start to see water in that gulch. Malapais Mountain was an incredible sight.

We started at 6:30am and finished at 2:30 pm including breaks and lunch stops as well as a few photo ops. We hike the posted route. By the way, Second water spring is producing and as I mentioned earlier, all canyons had water--really, really cold water Laughing
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 1/6/2013, 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This sounds like a really nice hike. Not sure if this was one of the ones I did with Chicks w/Sticks or if it is a bit different (don't quite remember, I'd have to go back and look at route again). Sounds similar but maybe with a bit different trails that I haven't done yet.
Either way sounds like it is going to be a Great Hike! Hiking

Water in the Springs and Canyons, should provide some awesome photo opportunities! Whoa!

I won't be joining in on this one. Haven't been out in so long that I don't feel that I am up to doing At This Time (life and work got in my way for a while and don't feel conditioned enough) Sad
Only Temporarily delayed, while I'm working on Me to get back out to get my self prepared again for future hikes

You all have a wonderful hike!

Kerim and Elenore if you can make this one you should try to! Pink Yes

The Superstitions area is a beautiful area to hike. Fall through early spring is best time to go, before it gets very hot/dry out there. Remote and best doing with some that know the area. A Great opportunity to see another different view of Arizona !!!
Different terrain, desert setting with vegetation, canyons and with water flowing (not normally or always there)
I'm sure you both would really enjoy! thumbs up Much different than Humphrey's and the other hikes you've done with AZH.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
outside1

PostPosted: 1/7/2013, 2:37 pm    Post subject: alliterative/shorter mile hike Reply to topic Reply with quote

I did want to take a spot on the sign up, but I wanted to show my interest and explain my alliterative/shorter hike. As this is going to be my second hike in about a year, I will only be doing about 6 miles TOTAL. So anyone interested in a 1/3 hike feel free to join me. I will start with the group but turn around about 3 miles in. Not sure yet if I will be waiting for everyone at the trail head to finish it depends on how long of a wait I estimate it might be. Anyway I will see you all at the start, I cant wait!!!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/7/2013, 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah Tony! Will be great to have you on the trail with us!

Very Happy

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/10/2013, 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bring your longjohns. . . .
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=33.43602551072033&lon=-111.31965637207031
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/10/2013, 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yikes -- I will be a frozen popsicle -- not sure I want to be out for 15 miles in this! Start time temps will be 28F

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?w0=t&w1=td&w2=wc&w3=sfcwind&w3u=1&w4=sky&w5=pop&w6=rh&w7=thunder&w8=rain&w9=snow&w10=fzg&w11=sleet&w15u=1&w16u=1&AheadHour=38&Submit=Submit&FcstType=graphical&textField1=33.43603&textField2=-111.31966&site=all&unit=0&dd=0&bw=0
Are we still on for this in close to freezing weather ? On the other hand there might be snow
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/10/2013, 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Tony -- great to see you out on the trails!
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/10/2013, 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have to opt out of this one unfortunately. Grandmother busted her hip just before Christmas and we are cleaning out her house to move her into assisted living.
Y'all have fun!
GTG
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/10/2013, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Yikes -- I will be a frozen popsicle -- not sure I want to be out for 15 miles in this! Start time temps will be 28F

Are we still on for this in close to freezing weather ? On the other hand there might be snow

I was thinking the same thing Ambika! We both hate being cold and it's going to be COLD on Saturday. I think it will be more like low 20's out in the desert.

Why don't we start later 9:30 AM and just do a shorter hike like the Hackberry Springs Loop (6 miles??? Or close to it). That way we can avoid a super cold start early in the AM, hiking all day in the cold AND Tony can hike with us for the entire hike!

Thoughts?

Trish

Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/10/2013, 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm afraid I am out with Todd... Was looking forward to this..... Will try and get the February hike up in the next week. I decided I wanted to try Quartz Peak maybe instead of a Supes hike.... will start a new thread to feel out peoples opinions....

I want to shine!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/15/2013, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did this one happen? What did we miss? Sad

I want to shine!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/16/2013, 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep - 3 of us ( tony, Ambika, Guru) did an abbreviated version of a supes hike -- 5 miles ( 2nd water & Black Mesa till Tony decided the tuen around point). Trish could not make it due to car starting issues that cold morning.

It was Guru's 2nd outing in the Supes so he loved exploring this side of Supes!
bigfoot

PostPosted: 1/21/2013, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes indeed...We worried about how cold it was going to be. But it turned out to be just the right weather to hike. Was good to get out and about. Had a nice time hiking in the supes (only my 2nd time in the supes). I m hoping to get more miles in the supes this year... Very Happy

Do not compare yourself with others; you will end up bitter or vain - for there will always be people better or lesser than yourself.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 1/22/2013, 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How wonderful, that you got out anyway, even in the brrrrr

Sounds like a good hike and Tony is starting to get out again... Applause

Glad you all had a good time

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: