ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
GHOTM: MARSH VALLEY LOOP January 12, 2013
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(4) 7 slots left to register. (3) 10 slots left to register. (0) 9 slots left to register.
User
Trishness
desertgirl
outside1
bigfoot
User
hiking2
oliverr99
azbackpackr
User
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 9/20/2012, 8:38 pm    Post subject: GHOTM: MARSH VALLEY LOOP January 12, 2013 Reply to topic Reply with quote

*******Please note Time Change to 7:30 AM Start********

This is a spectacular 15+ mile loop hike that takes you from First Water TH through some very scenic and remote sections of the western Superstitions. The plan is to meet at First Water TH at 6:30 AM and head out Second Water Trail #236-->Boulder Canyon #103--> Calvary #239-->Bull Pass #129 and then back on Dutchman #104. I'd like to do a quick trip up to Black Top Mesa if time permits. I love this hike and it will be an all day event. We can go to Dos Gringos in AJ post hike for libations and well deserved carbs.

For my west-side friends......I know this is a real trek for y'all and you'll need to leave at half past dark o'clock to get to the TH for 7:30 so if people want to drive out to my house on Friday and spend the night I can put up several people here if you can put up with two rambunctious cats and my dad (Clint) who will talk your ear off. I can take 5 people in my vehicle to the TH.

Let's kick off 2013 with this great hike!

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/2/2012, 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds fun Trish and I will do my best to be there. Haven't hike the Supes in ages! Ever thought of splitting this into an over nighter for the fun of it?

I want to shine!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 10/2/2012, 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Diane....this can be done as an over-nighter but the problem would be WATER. Unless there were substantial rains there is no reliable water source until we got to Charlebois. Of course we could always re-evaluate this as January draws closer and consider this as a backpack trip. As a day hike it is easy even though 15 miles.....there are two areas of UP (Calvary Trail and Bull Pass) We could easily bypass Bull Pass and just skirt around it. Let's re-evaluate this as Dec/Jan comes along. "RAINDANCE"

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/9/2012, 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is a fun one -- I am in Very Happy We did this last year & it was a blast!!!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 10/10/2012, 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
This is a fun one -- I am in Very Happy We did this last year & it was a blast!!!

And maybe we can get to Black Top Mesa if time permits and if we go over Bull Pass!!!!

Trish

desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/26/2012, 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Its looking good so far!!!!
chihiggs

PostPosted: 12/28/2012, 9:09 am    Post subject: Garden Valley Loop Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish, I was just out there and did a small part of your planned hike 2 weekends ago. We made it a shuttle hike with vehicles at First Water and one at the marina for Boulder Canyon Trail. It was a casual hike about 7 miles heading East to West from the Boulder Canyon TH (103) to the Second Water (236) ending up at First Water TH where a vehicle had been left with after hike adult libations. No serious elevation changes except right there at the start of Boulder Canyon Trail. Unfortunately there wasn't any water in Boulder Creek but up in the rushes on the East end of Second Water, there was water.

I am curious to see if you all run into water in Boulder Creek now. The other thing I am curious about is the elevation changes you will hit at Bull and Parker Passes. How steep are those passes? If I remember correctly, they aren't too bad.

Have a great time out there!! Very Happy
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/28/2012, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Mike!

Why don't you join us for Marsh Valley Loop and find out for yourself! Laughing

A few of us did this hike either last year or the year before and it was a nice hike. The only serious elevation gain is really at Bull Pass....a little on Calvary Trail and the Dutchman to Parker Pass is a breeze. I hope we get some rain so there is some water!

chihiggs

PostPosted: 12/29/2012, 12:19 pm    Post subject: hike Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the invite Trish. I will be out playing with Mrs. Higgins Very Happy as it is our anniversary weekend.

Please; no offense is meant but I would much rather have some quality alone time with her for the occasion. Wink

If I get out to hike before then; I will give you details on whatever I find. Thinking seriously about hitting it the weekend before just because it does sound like a great hike and I like the earlier part of it. Smile
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/1/2013, 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Of course there is no offense taken Mike. Hope you and Mrs. Higgs have a great anniversary! If you get out there next weekend let me know what you find out.

This hike is still ON. I will only cancel if there is really bad weather or if something happens in my family. We had to admit my MOM to the hospital on 12-27-12 but she is home and stable as of today but I can't say what's going to be on from week to week. Meet at first water at 6:30 AM.

Mr. Green

GeorgAz

PostPosted: 1/1/2013, 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wish I were strong enough!!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/1/2013, 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Georg.....

Just hike in the first few miles with us to Garden Valley and then hike out. Bring a friend who wants to do a few miles........it'll be fun!

Trish

desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/2/2013, 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Trish

Saw you posted a start time of 6:30 am ...Thats about an hr too early for us (Guru will also be going)...we have other commitments the day before that will make it a rather late night for us & it will be difficult to get roused for a 6:30 am start ( Thats a 5:30 departure from my home!) ...any chance for a 7:30 am start.

If you do not want to push the start back -- I understand. Likely Guru & I will start later & follow you along the trail.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/2/2013, 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes.....6:30 is a little early. I think it was still in the triple digits when I set that time Laughing

We'll start at 7:30 AM.....I've made the adjustment.

Trish

tibber

PostPosted: 1/3/2013, 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Any thot to hiking it in CC direction since we hiked it clockwise last year? You'd have 2 tough hills instead of 1... but not bad I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: