ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
2012 Hart Prarie Work Weekend!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(8) (0) (0)
User
GTG
chihiggs
Hikngrl
paintninaz
wanderingsoul
desertgirl
tibber
Tom Treks
User
User
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
GTG
PostPosted: 8/7/2012, 6:33 am    Post subject: 2012 Hart Prarie Work Weekend! Reply with quote

Neil from Hart Prairie Nature Preserve has reserved the weekend of October 13th for us for volunteer work at the preserve. I'll get more details up as he lets me know what we're in for.

How to get there: If you are coming from Phoenix, be aware that it will take you at least 3 hours (3.5 from Tempe) so arriving Friday is best. If you arrive after dark, look for the porchlight to your left as you come in, you'll be seeing a rail fence in your headlights. We'll keep someone around to direct you to your cabin as long as possible. If you know you'll be really late, please let us know and we'll figure something out.

* From the south, take I-17 to Flagstaff, I-17 becomes Milton Road after you enter Flagstaff.
* Continue north, pass under a railroad bridge and turn left onto Humphreys
* Turn left at Columbus (at traffic light) onto Hwy 180
* Follow 180 out of town approximately 10 miles and past the Arizona Snowbowl ski resort
* Just past mile post 225, turn right onto Forest Road 151 (there is a bright yellow daytime headlight use sign at this turn);
* Drive 4.5 miles and look for The Nature Conservancy sign on the right.
* Leave the gate the way you find it. Please drive slowly into the Preserve (15 mph);
* From the gate to cabins is about half a mile
* Drive to your assigned cabin or ask whereabouts upon your arrival, unload, and please park your vehicle in the corral parking area north of the lodge, please back into your spot

Information Sheet
Most of you all know this but just in case: please read this thoroughly and contact Neil or Shawn if you have questions.

Key Information
• Cabins are rustic but comfortable, beds are fine, bring your own linens or sleeping bags.
• The sewer system works but how or why is largely a mystery; use the composting toilet if at all possible
• Shower house is a wonderful luxury after a good day of grubby work. Bring your own towel and toiletries.
• Water is trucked in, use it sparingly, please don’t waste it. If you see a plumbing leak let the Preserve folks know immediately.
• Any food left out unprotected-indoors or out-will likely be confiscated by small furry critters of the night.
• We will be TNC volunteers this weekend, please sign the waiver forms.
• **No pets are allowed on the preserve.** (Sorry 'bout that.)
• There are no commercial facilities at the preserve, i.e., no store, no ice, no sodas, etc. Bring what you need with you.
• We are responsible for cleaning up the cabins before we leave.

What to wear and bring
• Sturdy shoes, work gloves, water container to take to the work sites (additional water available)
• Snacks if you need any to help you make it to lunch time
• Sun protection (wide brim hat, loose clothing that covers limbs, sunscreen); the air is clear and the elevation is 8,400 ft, sun burn happens quickly.
• Long-sleeve shirt and pants (recommended)
• Rain gear and warmer clothing (Check the forecast – It is generally 15 degrees cooler!!! than Flagstaff.)
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Flagstaff&state=AZ&site=FGZ&textField1=35.1981&textField2=-111.651&e=0
• Personal first aid kit
• Towels and toiletries
• Sleeping bag or linens – extra blankets available in the cabins
• Small cooler for your snacks/drinks and food for any meals not arranged by the group (Refrigerator in lodge kitchen will be used by our chefs.)
• Flashlight or head lamp is a must (not fun getting lost at night traversing between buildings)
• Cabins and bathrooms have lights but the Preserve's electricity is home made--solar and a generator-- so please use appliances sparingly (if not needed immediately-shut it off).
• Binoculars, Camera
• The Preserve provides eating utensils and dishes.

Cabin dwellers: Cabins have small heaters that work quite well
Bring sleeping bag and pillow or your own bedding. Keep all personal food items in a cooler or plastic bin to protect from small critter invasion. Keep doors closed.

Physical requirements to participate:
Moderate to hard work, lighter options availalble. Work elevation is just over 8,400 feet—a big change from the valley. Work at your own pace, think safety!

Meals
• Meals are a group effort. Dish washing duties are shared; please step up for a meal’s worth.
• BYOB
• Bring your own food for snacks during work and any additional meals you will need if you choose to arrive or leave outside the provided meal service period. (See arrival and departure options below.)
• There is a well equipped kitchen, and a gas grill out back.

Agenda
Friday - You may arrive any time after 1:00 +/-.
The kitchen will be open to you to make your dinner. You will be responsible for cleaning up after yourself. There may be room to store your food in the kitchen however, the group meal provisions have first dibbs on the limited refridgerator space. (See what to wear and bring above.)

Get in here y'all!
GTG

tibber

PostPosted: 10/15/2012, 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What a great weekend... as usual!
You all work so hard and to tell you the truth; that's almost why I'm hesitant to come cuz I know you are gonna work my fingers to the bone Laughing ! You know you've had a good work weekend at Hart Prairie when your derriere is hurting and you're battered and bruised but are darn proud of it! Very Happy

Thx to Diane and Todd and Tracy for doing all the food planning, and to Diane and Tracy for cooking up a storm. It was all delish!

Congrats Kerim for conquering the highest point in Arizona. We're very proud of you; especially after such a hard-work day on Saturday. I hope you always come to Hart Prairie work weekend.

I'm way behind on pics and videos and stuff but once I get the Hart Prairie videos posted on youtube, I will put a note up here. I looked at the pics and wow are they nice. I think I got some great work pics too. I also took a video of the road as I drove out.

Thanks again everyone; it was awesome and I hope others will be able to participate next year!

Angela

PS Thx for indulging my picture and video taking. I do appreciate it.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/17/2012, 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I so enjoyed my weekend at H.P. I always feel so blessed when I am up there. The work is hard but rewarding the company is always fantastic and heaven knows I love the food! The cold was very cold but the work days were fabulous! So fun to get a little bit of snow!

Hart Prairie is one of my favorite places on earth and I can't believe I am blessed enough to even be associated with it. Thank you "Nature Consevancy"! Thank you to all our friends that show up year after year to take part in the activities! Kerim, it was a blast to have you along this year! Please come again next year! 3.5 hours to the top of Humphries is amazing!!!!!

Our gallery is not working right now but if you have another place on line where you post your pictures you can certainly link them into here. I would love to see them!

I want to shine!
tibber

PostPosted: 10/22/2012, 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here are the videos from our Hart Prairie weekend:

I hope everyone enjoys watching yourselves work so hard while at the same time having moments of frivolity. It sure was purdy working conditions.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 10/23/2012, 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Love the videos, Angela!! You sure know how to capture it all! Ok

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 10/23/2012, 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very Nice Angela... you did good and amazing shot that you got of the deer running into your shot. Pretty cool

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
tibber

PostPosted: 10/24/2012, 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
paintninaz: You sure know how to capture it all! Ok

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted.
tibber

PostPosted: 11/20/2012, 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trip logs and photo sets are up on HAZ:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: