ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
2012 Hart Prarie Work Weekend!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(8) (0) (0)
User
GTG
chihiggs
Hikngrl
paintninaz
wanderingsoul
desertgirl
tibber
Tom Treks
User
User
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
GTG
PostPosted: 8/7/2012, 6:33 am    Post subject: 2012 Hart Prarie Work Weekend! Reply with quote

Neil from Hart Prairie Nature Preserve has reserved the weekend of October 13th for us for volunteer work at the preserve. I'll get more details up as he lets me know what we're in for.

How to get there: If you are coming from Phoenix, be aware that it will take you at least 3 hours (3.5 from Tempe) so arriving Friday is best. If you arrive after dark, look for the porchlight to your left as you come in, you'll be seeing a rail fence in your headlights. We'll keep someone around to direct you to your cabin as long as possible. If you know you'll be really late, please let us know and we'll figure something out.

* From the south, take I-17 to Flagstaff, I-17 becomes Milton Road after you enter Flagstaff.
* Continue north, pass under a railroad bridge and turn left onto Humphreys
* Turn left at Columbus (at traffic light) onto Hwy 180
* Follow 180 out of town approximately 10 miles and past the Arizona Snowbowl ski resort
* Just past mile post 225, turn right onto Forest Road 151 (there is a bright yellow daytime headlight use sign at this turn);
* Drive 4.5 miles and look for The Nature Conservancy sign on the right.
* Leave the gate the way you find it. Please drive slowly into the Preserve (15 mph);
* From the gate to cabins is about half a mile
* Drive to your assigned cabin or ask whereabouts upon your arrival, unload, and please park your vehicle in the corral parking area north of the lodge, please back into your spot

Information Sheet
Most of you all know this but just in case: please read this thoroughly and contact Neil or Shawn if you have questions.

Key Information
• Cabins are rustic but comfortable, beds are fine, bring your own linens or sleeping bags.
• The sewer system works but how or why is largely a mystery; use the composting toilet if at all possible
• Shower house is a wonderful luxury after a good day of grubby work. Bring your own towel and toiletries.
• Water is trucked in, use it sparingly, please don’t waste it. If you see a plumbing leak let the Preserve folks know immediately.
• Any food left out unprotected-indoors or out-will likely be confiscated by small furry critters of the night.
• We will be TNC volunteers this weekend, please sign the waiver forms.
• **No pets are allowed on the preserve.** (Sorry 'bout that.)
• There are no commercial facilities at the preserve, i.e., no store, no ice, no sodas, etc. Bring what you need with you.
• We are responsible for cleaning up the cabins before we leave.

What to wear and bring
• Sturdy shoes, work gloves, water container to take to the work sites (additional water available)
• Snacks if you need any to help you make it to lunch time
• Sun protection (wide brim hat, loose clothing that covers limbs, sunscreen); the air is clear and the elevation is 8,400 ft, sun burn happens quickly.
• Long-sleeve shirt and pants (recommended)
• Rain gear and warmer clothing (Check the forecast – It is generally 15 degrees cooler!!! than Flagstaff.)
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Flagstaff&state=AZ&site=FGZ&textField1=35.1981&textField2=-111.651&e=0
• Personal first aid kit
• Towels and toiletries
• Sleeping bag or linens – extra blankets available in the cabins
• Small cooler for your snacks/drinks and food for any meals not arranged by the group (Refrigerator in lodge kitchen will be used by our chefs.)
• Flashlight or head lamp is a must (not fun getting lost at night traversing between buildings)
• Cabins and bathrooms have lights but the Preserve's electricity is home made--solar and a generator-- so please use appliances sparingly (if not needed immediately-shut it off).
• Binoculars, Camera
• The Preserve provides eating utensils and dishes.

Cabin dwellers: Cabins have small heaters that work quite well
Bring sleeping bag and pillow or your own bedding. Keep all personal food items in a cooler or plastic bin to protect from small critter invasion. Keep doors closed.

Physical requirements to participate:
Moderate to hard work, lighter options availalble. Work elevation is just over 8,400 feet—a big change from the valley. Work at your own pace, think safety!

Meals
• Meals are a group effort. Dish washing duties are shared; please step up for a meal’s worth.
• BYOB
• Bring your own food for snacks during work and any additional meals you will need if you choose to arrive or leave outside the provided meal service period. (See arrival and departure options below.)
• There is a well equipped kitchen, and a gas grill out back.

Agenda
Friday - You may arrive any time after 1:00 +/-.
The kitchen will be open to you to make your dinner. You will be responsible for cleaning up after yourself. There may be room to store your food in the kitchen however, the group meal provisions have first dibbs on the limited refridgerator space. (See what to wear and bring above.)

Get in here y'all!
GTG

GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 10/10/2012, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kerim and any other new folks please go back to the begining of the posts to see general information and instructions about our stay at Hart Prairie as well as directions to get there.

GTG
tibber

PostPosted: 10/11/2012, 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ambika & I are still planning on heading up Fri afternoon. I've decided not to bring the Huckaritas as I think it might be too chilly for them. HOWEVER, I am bringing some butterscotch schnapps. We tried it in our decaf coffee (after dinner) on our backpack trip last weekend and found it quite good.

And if I remember, I'll bring some Huckleberry Chai Tea.
I also have a huckleberry cobbler I will bring if we want to make it. It only takes 45 minutes to bake. They do suggest whip or ice cream with it.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 10/11/2012, 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I could bring some whip cream and ice cream if any one wants it.
I'll check in morning to see if there were any "Yes" votes.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
paintninaz

PostPosted: 10/11/2012, 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

tibber wrote:
HOWEVER, I am bringing some butterscotch schnapps. We tried it in our decaf coffee (after dinner) on our backpack trip last weekend and found it quite good.

It's also quite good in hot chocolate! Mr. Green

wanderingsoul wrote:
I could bring some whip cream and ice cream if any one wants it.
I'll check in morning to see if there were any "Yes" votes.

Pink Yes Agree

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/11/2012, 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok

I want to shine!
tibber

PostPosted: 10/12/2012, 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

whip cream would probably be easiest. Thx!

See you all later.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 10/12/2012, 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Whip Cream & Hot choc covered.
will bring some ice cream just in case anyone wants instead.... No biggie

Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/12/2012, 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Schedule worked out better than first thought. Should be up there sometime this afternoon. Wow, it's gonna be nippy up there.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/12/2012, 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am so bummed I will not be able to go at all Sad
Had a major waterleak at the home... soaked carpets & wall so I have spent the night pulling up carpet & setting up carpet driers. Looks like I will be tending to this mess all weekend & may be more .... I still have to repair the leak ... This is SO not how I wanted to spend the weekend.

I was so looking forward to being at Hart Prairie & catching up with all of you & working.

Sorry Angela for not being able to carpool with you.
I have dropped my $25 in the mail to Diane for my food contributions

Neal -- Are there any other opportunities to help out this year ?
tibber

PostPosted: 10/12/2012, 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hope that nasty problem won't last too long. What a bummer! That new house is proving to be a problem when it comes to our plans Evil or Very Mad .
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/12/2012, 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

tibber wrote:
That new house is proving to be a problem when it comes to our plans Evil or Very Mad .

This is at the old house Evil or Very Mad -- but I guess its all because of the new house! Twisted Evil

Hope you have a good day tomorrow -- ist supposed to be chilly!!! I saw some snow laden pics of the road up to Snowbowl
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/14/2012, 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

To those present this weekend and worried about Kerim. He made it to the peak and down safely! We just heard from him! That man is a machine! Kerim, when you read this you should know that is a compliment!

Please Kerim, we would love to hear from you about your hike!

I want to shine!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 10/14/2012, 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
That man is a machine! Kerim, when you read this you should know that is a compliment!

That is an understatement! Although I had only been kidding about him having to do twice the work if he were leaving to hike on Sunday, he must've taken me seriously...he was tossing those heavy rounds like they were pillows!! Shocked

Glad you made it to the top of the peak, Kerim! I hope you enjoyed it! Yahoo!

A big thanks to everyone who was able to come out this weekend! We were actually able to do an impressive amount of work for being such a small work force!! Applause

It was a fun time...we got our first taste of winter on Friday, and still got to see the Fall colors even with the snow at Hart Prairie and the freezing cold temps to match! shivering Things warmed up on Saturday and made for a comfortable work day, and a toasty evening in the lodge...complete with good food, good friends and lots of laughs, it was a good time! thumbs up

We missed those of you that couldn't make it, we hope to get a couple events on the schedule next year so hopefully y'all will have multiple opportunities to get out there and enjoy it with us!! Agree

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 10/14/2012, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It was a really nice weekend. A bit nippy on Fri and was hoping rest of weekend would be warmer. Took me a bit by surprise, didn't think it was gonna be that nippy. Beautiful both sat and sun, not too hot not too cold. Good comfortable weather to be out doing work.
We did do a couple of things they really wanted to finish and the wood work that is a pertetual ongoing job. We'll always have something to do

Good to see all that were able to make it. We had a nice time to catch up.
Sorry wasn't able to see all who couldn't make it this time. Maybe next time will be better.

Gee Ambika, I'm really sorry to hear about your catastophe. EEK ! Really not a fun way to spend a weekend and have to deal with all that.
New house, that sounds really nice, Didn't know you'd been looking considering a new one. Hope it is everything you wanted. The Old house is just Sad that you departed and wanted to let you know.

Gee Kerim made it, Wow !! Waiting to hear how the hike went. He did just what he wanted, so that is a Great Achievement!
Congrats to you Kerim and after doing All that work on Sat.
Waiting for you to post your hiking day!

Food was really great as always. Thanks Todd, Diane and Tracy for getting it all togeher. Was a lot of work for such nice eats.

All in all a Great weekend

kerim

PostPosted: 10/14/2012, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi people!
Thank you for a lot of compliments! I enjoyed a lot on Saturday, it was great team and nice weather. Actually I like this kind of job on open air, just switch off your brain and relaxing)))
About hiking. At 9 o'clock I was in the parking near Snowbawl. It took 3.5 hours to get the top of the Peak. Trail is fantastic! I've got a lot of pictures, but I don't know how to post them here.
Just I arrived to Peak, one guy came after me. He was almost naked, only short pants and shoes. He told me that he was running uphill just for 1 hour 15 minutes. It was unbeliveable.
Downhill was also very interesting. One man in front of me felt down because of slippery trail to the stone to his ass. I asked him if he need a help. But he told me everything OK!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: