ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
REAL hiking boots... Any reasonably priced models ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharrack

PostPosted: 4/29/2012, 7:22 pm    Post subject: REAL hiking boots... Any reasonably priced models ? Reply to topic Reply with quote

By real.... I mean able to last me over a month. Not trail walking or weekend flower picking! Ha ha....
I'm talking hardcore decomposed granite rock hopping etc.

Recently..... Much to my dismay...l.li bought 3 pair of hi- tec boots on clearance.
Second hike.....i could feel the rocks through the soles.....5 th hike......soles split left to right....feet hammered with 2 insoles added!
Utter walmart quality trash.......and i've been wearing hi-'tec for a decade.
The other 2 pair are going back and i only paid 13.00 a pair!

Got any suggestions? Anyone have luck with military boots with the vibram sole?
Kenny s
sharrack

PostPosted: 4/29/2012, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh..... And it is sad to see that almost all store bought boots are junk these days.
By junk..... I mean you can press your thumb right through the bottom of the boot.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/30/2012, 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Where are you shopping? Most hikers nowadays wear trail shoes, not boots. They get them at REI, and Arizona Hiking Shack, and Summit Hut/Tucson. But good solid hiking boots are also available at those stores. Hi tec has never been a very good brand, in my opinion. Look for Vasque, Asolo, Lowa, maybe Merrell, Salomon, etc. REI list of boots:
http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500216&search=Men's+Hiking+Boots
Summit Hut in Tucson: http://www.summithut.com/categories/hiking-boots/

If you want boots that will last for a year/500+ miles of hiking you are going to have to pay over $100, most likely.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 5/1/2012, 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good sound advise on the brands. I might add that if you don't want to pay the prices of said stores then you can go try boots on at these stores then look for the same boots online. You may find them for a better price. You may not.

Next you must know that most times you have to pay for the quality you want. Some times you get a really good buy but as a rule if you pay diddly you are gonna get diddly.... Hiking

I want to shine!
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 5/1/2012, 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sometimes you can find the boots you want (after trying them on at a real store) at Sierra Trading Post. Wait for one of their great sales (35-40% off of one item) and pounce on it. They carry a lot of Asolo and other great brands.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/1/2012, 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah! What they said!
sharrack

PostPosted: 10/3/2012, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Currently ditching Hi-tek......i get 2 months out of them.....maybe!
Been wearing my first pair of Asolo's off sierra trading post.
No Doubt....superior construction and unbelievable fit for a stiff boot.
...the sole is far better than most and may last me 6 months.
The uppers can outlast 3 soles!

If you hike soft earth or just hike casually, these will last you a while ,but i consider my hiking to be the most extreme. Not for mileage but for the decomposed granite, sharp shale and other desert rock surfaces i'm on constantly. A true torture test for any boot.
Only paid 100 bucks for them. Not bad.
Kenny s
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 10/4/2012, 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think you'll like the Asolo boots. I'm still wearing a pair that I bought years ago. Very comfortable and well-built.
sharrack

PostPosted: 10/22/2012, 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Been wearing them and do enjoy them . The soles are always the weak spot though!
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 10/24/2012, 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Speaking of soles... do anyone know of a place that re-soles boots? I've only heard of one guy that does it but it seems expensive. Almost as much as a new pair. I'd like to get my Fugitives re-soled, but only at a reasonable price.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 10/26/2012, 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I haven't found that the newer, high tech boots can be resoled. I had a pair of Danners done by a guy on Warner, between the 1-10 and 48th, north side of the road. If you are interested I could refine those directions a bit. Just a very small shop in a small commercial center. I think it was $50, but the boots were $200+ to replace. My son had gotten them too close to the fire.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 10/29/2012, 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just talked to Dave Page from "Dave Page, Cobbler". (http://www.davepagecobbler.com/contact.html)

To resole my Asolo Fugitives, it's $75.00 + $9.00 return shipping. With shipping out to him, that's in the ballpark of $93.00.

I did find another place; Rocky Mountain Resoles (http://rmresole.com/shop/category.php?id_category=8). It looks like the price is about the same.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 10/30/2012, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If the boots are really comfortable and still in good shape, may be worth it depending on how much to like them and not knowing if new ones would feel as comfortable and have to be broken in. Guess it is kind of a toss up. New or fix the old. Might be something I'd consider if I liked my boots enough.

I'm sure you'll be looking around for maybe a better deal and may run across one.
Have you checked with any local shoe repair shops? Maybe there is something local?

Oh Hey, How are you doing with Sandy hitting your area. Hope You, family and house rode out the storm and All is Well with you

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 10/31/2012, 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Michelle,

All is well here. Thanks for asking. We got hit with a lot of wind and rain, but not like NJ and NY did. Maryland's Eastern Shore got pounded and the Inner Harbor of Baltimore had some issues.

I'm thinking that I'll probably send in my old Asolo Fugitives to be re-soled. Dave the Cobbler tells me that the soles he will put on will last much longer than the originals as they are Vibram soles.

I have a newer pair of Fugitives but they aren't as comfortable as the old ones. I'm still trying things to stop them from causing blisters. Same boots, different experience!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/4/2012, 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I really like my Hi-Tec boots that I bought in 2004. I bought a pair of them on the youth rack for $19.99 and still have them. They have become my "water hike" boots but have seen me through hundreds of miles in the desert. I bought a pair of Merrells in 2008 that split on me during an Escalante River hike in Utah in 2010 and I was forced to buy another pair of boots while on the road. Enter KEENS. I loved my Merrells but Keens are the bomb. I have a very small (hence the youth rack) but wide foot so I need a wide toe-box. Keens were comfy right out of the box!

Razz

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: