ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Suggestions for an out of towner...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
djb79

PostPosted: 2/21/2012, 9:15 am    Post subject: Suggestions for an out of towner... Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hello,

I've never been to Arizona and am looking forward to visiting Phoenix this coming weekend (2/25). My girlfriend and I are really hoping to get out and enjoy the weather and scenery so I'm looking for a recommendation that's within an hour of Phoenix (if possible, but the closer the better) where we could hike for a few hours and enjoy the landscape that's surely very different from what I'm used to being from Indiana. Nothing specific as far as landmarks or terrain that we're looking for really... In looking at the Tonto National Forest site, i just see a huge number of trails but it's difficult to know what would make for a nice Saturday hike with some good scenery. It would be great if someone could recommend a specific trail and let me know if i would need to get a permit, where i could park, or anything else to consider.

I'd really appreciate it if you could pass along any recommendations or list some trails you've been on that you enjoyed!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/21/2012, 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you're looking to hike somewhere close to the city of Phoenix there are several parks that offer this. Not sure where you are staying in the area but Piestawa Peak and Camelback Mountain are located in the north-central area of the city and South Mountain is located south of the city in Awhatukee. There are numerous trails in both these locations. If you are looking for a true wilderness experience, the Superstition Mountains are about 40 miles east of Phoenix and there are a few trails that might meet your needs. It all depends on how much time you have and what your trail expectations/experience is.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 2/22/2012, 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A great place to go if you have some time is Lost Dutchman State Park. Good trails that take you through some beautiful scenery in the Sonoran Desert (Lots of Cactus and such). Close enough to civilization that you can get there quickly and far enough that you can get a taste of the Arizona Wilderness. The park is quite nice, with modern facilities (clean bathrooms, drinking fountains, etc.) and access to several trails at various hiking levels (easy, moderate, strenuous). There's a LOT of history there so you may want to read up prior to going to make it even more enjoyable. Also, take plenty of water with you and keep drinking all along the way.

If you want a nice drive while you're in that area, continue on Route 88 (Old Apache Trail) to Tortilla Flat. Stunningly beautiful scenery along that drive! You can also continue on that road all the way to Globe for an even longer journey through the beautiful Superstition mountains.
djb79

PostPosted: 2/22/2012, 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Ken and Trish, appreciate the suggestions!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: