ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Hieroglyphic Canyon (Superstitions)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
gps_hiker

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
gps_hiker wrote:
Superstition Peak is the offical highpoint at just over 5,000 feet even though the noname peak near Flat Iron is slightly higher
Actually that's incorrect. Superstition Peak is 5057, the peak behind Flatiron is 5024. Check your topos. The Flatiron peak looks higher as you view the mountain from the valley because it's closer.

You are right. I got them confused.

Ridgeline Hike does not seem complete unless you climb both peaks as part of the trek.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Ridgeline Hike does not seem complete unless you climb both peaks as part of the trek.

Very true, and the reason I have to do the Ridgeline again! On my last trip, we didn't have time for the north summit, it was starting to get dark. Maybe CatValet will post some tips for sliding on your butt down Siphon Draw while aiming your flashlight with your teeth... Spinning
azrocks

PostPosted: 1/17/2003, 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've never been up the north peak. I think I've seen where the trail splits off.
Is it obvious how to get up and down ? About how long does it add to the trip ?
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/17/2003, 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The trail goes up and to the left at the saddle (the trail out onto the Flatiron goes right). It's pretty well marked with white dots, and only takes 10-20 minutes. The views from up there are outstanding, since you can see 360 degrees - you'll be looking down on Weaver's Needle. Agree
gps_hiker

PostPosted: 1/18/2003, 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I should of listen to CactusCat on this one... Not a recommended access point for Ridgeline Trail or Superstition Peak.

Next to no trail or even route up Hieroglyphic Canyon with some very steep/climbing sections.Trip report to follow.
gps_hiker

PostPosted: 1/18/2003, 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I knew after climbing up Hieroglyphic Canyon it was super steep but after loading the GPS data I was really surprised to find the last 1/4 mile to only the Ridgeline was 45 percent grade.

It would of been at least 50 percent grade if you could vector directly up the canyon to Superstion Peak!

Interesting note... The Grand Canyon main corridor trails usually avg less than 20 percent grade. Give me a nice rim-rim dayhike on the superhighway next time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: