ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Hieroglyphic Canyon (Superstitions)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
gps_hiker

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Hieroglyphic Canyon (Superstitions) Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone hiked up Hieroglyphic Canyon from the Cloud View Road trailhead?

I've seen some pretty nice pic's of the area and thought about using the trail for access to the infamous Ridgeline route.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sid Hayes just posted a couple of days ago that he took hiked up Hieroglyphic to the south summit. Maybe he'll provide some details.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat's done it, too - he said he wouldn't recomend it as a way to access the ridgeline, right Kent? Besides, the ridgeline is hard enough from the normal starting points, believe me! Rolling Eyes Hieroglyphic Canyon is a nice area if you haven't been there yet.
gps_hiker

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds even more interesting!

Wonder if Arizonaheat has any GPS info for the route closest to the Ridgeline trail?
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I could use a brief description of how to get to the Heiroglyph trail head and a brief trail description. I've been meaning to do this hike for some time, but I lost the infomration a few weeks ago ("Hear that? We're talkin' in CODE.") and would like to be able to find it for a hike possibly this weekend.

P.S.: quick somebody cite the quote!

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Raising Arizona. The actual quote is "Y'all hear that? We're using code names!"
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know right where it's at, but I don't know all the street names - sorry! I'll tell you what I can - you take the 60 out to the street that goes into Gold Canyon, then go straight for about 5-10 minutes until you reach Baseline;take a right. Then a quick left (on Mohican maybe?) following the paved road, then the second or third left, which curves around to Cloudview. Right on Cloudview for about one minute, and it dead-ends at the TH parking lot. Hopefully someone else knows the names of the roads which escape me - or I'll try to find out and let you know!
If you can find the trailhead with these directions, the trail will be a piece of cake! Wink
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Head east from Apache Junction on US 60 apx. two miles east of the Bashas's plaza you will come to Kings Ranch Road on your left (Walgreens on the corner) and turn left. Go down Kings Ranch Road apx. 2 1/2 miles and you will come to a cattleguard and turnright on Baseline (its a dirt road). Head east on Baseline apx. 1/4 mile and turn left on Mohican apx. 1/2 mile and make a left on Valley View Dr. apx. 1/2 mile and make a right on Cloudview and the trailhead is apx. 1/2 mile at the end of Cloudview. Upon parking the trail is located on the east side of the parking lot. Follow the trails apx. 1/4 mile. and make a left and head north on the trail apx. 1.1 mile to Hieroglyphic Springs.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Speaking of which, is there actually a spring there? All I've ever seen are the small pools - am I missing something?
gps_hiker

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Another set of directions from geocache website.

It sounds like all the roads to the trailhead are no longer dirt???

The Trailhead for Hieroglyphic Canyon is accessed through residential neighborhoods.

1) Take US 60 East to Kings Ranch Road.

2) Turn North on Kings Ranch Road and follow for 2.8 miles to Baseline Road.

3) Turn East on Baseline Road and follow 0.2 miles to Mohican.

4) Turn North on Mohican and follow 0.4 miles to Valley View Road.

5) Turn West on Valley View Road and follow for 1.4 miles. (Curves and turns into Whitetail Road)

6) At the intersection of Whitetail Road and Cloud View Road turn East and follow 0.4 miles to end.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Seasonal spring if at all, water pool. Some water lots of bees.
gps_hiker

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Emailed Sid Hayes about route to Ridgeline and/or Superstition Peak.

Sid is super human and is able to reach Peak in 50 minutes from the trailhead (power climbing) so it's probably a 2.5 hour hike to the Peak for many. (Superstition Peak is the offical highpoint at just over 5,000 feet even though the noname peak near Flat Iron is slightly higher)
srlatty

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There are still some sections that are dirt, just can't remember which ones. I've only been there once and that was several months ago. Nighhiker's sound very familiar! Your directions also sound familiar, especially the 1.4 miles on Valley View. That is where I almost missed a turn! I had directions that said 1 1/2 miles and drove right past Cloud View Road, had to backtrack.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

gps_hiker wrote:
Superstition Peak is the offical highpoint at just over 5,000 feet even though the noname peak near Flat Iron is slightly higher
Actually that's incorrect. Superstition Peak is 5057, the peak behind Flatiron is 5024. Check your topos. The Flatiron peak looks higher as you view the mountain from the valley because it's closer.
gps_hiker

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sorry.. I believe its called speed climbing to the Peak. Checkout Sid's bio for some interesting stuff. Ran from south rim-north rim of GC (21 miles) in just under 3 hours! Would be interesting to see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: