ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mt. Humphreys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottC

PostPosted: 9/7/2011, 10:17 am    Post subject: Mt. Humphreys Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm coming in to Phoenix (from Ohio) visit family in a couple of weeks. We plan to spend several days in Flagstaff and climb Humphreys on 9/24.

Any tips about altitude, weather this time of year, etc. would be appreciated. I'd also enjoy any stories about your hikes on this mountain.

Thanks
sbkelley

PostPosted: 9/7/2011, 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ScottC - welcome (in advance!)

Humphreys Peak should be in full fall color display around that time, so you may be timing this well. September is usually beautiful on the Peaks. Typically, the weather is stable in AZ in mid- to late-September, with dry and sunny days, but of course, check the forecast before you go.

Wind can often be ripping across the San Francisco Peaks through much of the year, so be aware of that when you break timberline.

Other than that, staying in Flag for a day or two should get your lungs used to 7000'. The trails are well-marked and hard to lose.

I'd usually suggest going from the Inner Basin, but that access road is still closed, to my knowledge, as a result of last year's Schultz Fire. You'll likely be heading up the Humphreys Peak Trail, which keeps you in the forest for the majority of the hike.

Have fun!

-Scott
ScottC

PostPosted: 9/12/2011, 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Scott. We're looking forward to it. My 13 year old daughter is going to make the hike with us. Looking forward to what should be a memorable day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: