ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Grand Canyon River Rafting triplog
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikerdon74

PostPosted: 1/21/2014, 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lucky, you! I'm a bit jealous. If you don't mind my asking, what does a person expect to spend on a private trip? (I won't be offended if you don't want to say.) I'd love to do a private trip that would enable me to do the Tapeats/Thunder River - Deer Creek Loop and a couple others. Good luck on your next venture! -Don
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/21/2014, 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, some people do hike that loop when on a river trip. It means the boatmen have to sit around all day long, though. Not fun for them. The boats have to be moved downstream so the hikers can do the loop.

Private trips you can spend anywhere from $600 to $1200 per person. It depends on if you rent a lot of stuff, if you use a caterer for your food (which is WAY easier) or if you do your own menus. You have to have a ton of equipment, but even though the boat owners have thousands of dollars invested in their rigs, everyone pays equally, whether passenger or boat owner.

Right now I am looking for a summer trip. I haven't found one yet that I can get in on, although I've put the word out.
Hikerdon74

PostPosted: 1/21/2014, 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I meant to ask: On your trek to Elves Chasm, did you traverse "The Ledge"? I did it in 2012. I was happy it was a short section! -Don
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/21/2014, 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Which ledge? We did that short rappel, which, all things considered, was one the easier parts of that hike! There were the Moki Steps and there was the 1000 year old ladder to climb down as well.

I've also been to Elves a couple of times from the river. Of course, that is the easy way to see it.
Hikerdon74

PostPosted: 1/22/2014, 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Ledge to which I refer is in a tributary canyon that joins Royal Arch Creek canyon. It is along the route taken from S. Bass trailhead west along the Esplanade to Royal Arch Creek (the west to east loop). I'd attach a photo, but can't seem to figure out how to do it. You come to a deep pour-off and must take a left or right route to continue down canyon. The right hand side supposedly follows a difficult, boulder-strewn, rock-hopping route. The left side features the "Ledge", a 25 foot vertical traverse where the hiker must face the cliff and side-step their way across. One must cling to precarious hand and foot holds while your center of gravity hangs over the drop off. The remainder of the route is easy. You should Google it. It's pretty cool. The rappel down to Toltec Beach is a piece of cake in comparison.
I would like to know where you search for private trip openings. I would love to do a trip this summer or early fall. My ideal time is late April. Little rainfall and perfect temps. Thanks for your insights! -Don
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/22/2014, 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When I did Royal Arch Loop I did not come down S. Bass. Instead did Pt. Huitzil Route, dropping into Royal Arch Creek.
Route we took: http://hikearizona.com/map.php?GPS=25372
I guess I forgot to do much of a triplog for it:
http://hikearizona.com/x.php?I=4&ZTN=15769&UID=24537
Maybe I should fix that.

There was one place that was supposed to be bad but wasn't. It was in Royal Arch drainage, and we stayed to the right.

Oh, and finding a trip. I haven't had much luck this year. I was invited on one, but then that person cancelled, and it wasn't in summer, so I could not have gone anyway. Grand Canyon Private Boaters Assn. can be helpful.

I personally prefer fall, but would like to do a spring trip sometime. It can be very windy, though. Fall has more predictable weather. I don't mind summer all that much, either, but the Park doesn't give you as many days. 16 days to Diamond (summer) means you can take out at Pearce after 18 or19 days, whereas in fall you get 21 days to Diamond, and can add another 2-4 days or so to Pearce.
Hikerdon74

PostPosted: 1/22/2014, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The drainage with the "Ledge" is the 2nd major drainage coming into Royal Arch Creek from the east. It meets RA Creek at approximately the 3600 ft contour. If you zoom in a bit, you'll see the contour lines bunched up at the drop off. You missed trekking that canyon. I've never heard of anyone falling from the ledge, but if I ever get back that way, I'll take the right side route. I'm not into danger when it can be avoided. Thanks for the info. Happy trekking!
Don
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/22/2014, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Same to you! I am mostly kayaking and biking these days, until I can get a foot issue resolved.
Hikerdon74

PostPosted: 1/24/2014, 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wishing you the best with the foot issue. The foot and ankle are such a complex system of small bones, cartilage, tendons and ligaments, problems can be difficult to rectify. Hope you have a good orthopedic Dr on your side. Hope to hear of good progress in the near future.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/30/2014, 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks! I ordered some new Teva sandals. Always have been comfortable hiking in those. I can't figure out how to get on this new-fangled insurance.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/31/2014, 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think the ledge you're referring to is described here as well -
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7499&highlight=royal+arch+loop
GTG

Hikerdon74 wrote:
The Ledge to which I refer is in a tributary canyon that joins Royal Arch Creek canyon. It is along the route taken from S. Bass trailhead west along the Esplanade to Royal Arch Creek (the west to east loop). I'd attach a photo, but can't seem to figure out how to do it. -Don

Hikerdon74

PostPosted: 1/31/2014, 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the trip report link. It was indeed, the "Ledge" I mentioned. As a young Marine, I had lots of skydiving and rappelling experience. I have no fear of heights. However, the Ledge made me fear losing one of my trek mates. As the leader, I was responsible for everyone's safety. I'll go around the north side next time. The rappel was a piece of cake.

On Day 1, we crossed the Esplanade heading for the tributary canyon with the Ledge. There is no clear trail, just route finding. Interestingly, it was there I found the only arrow point I've seen in Grand Canyon. It was the type with the serrated edges with intricate flint knapping. Out of 4 experienced hikers, not one of us had enough sense to photograph the thing. We replaced it just as we found it and went on our way! That evening at camp, we discovered no one had taken a pic. Hard lesson learned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: