ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
January 2012 GHOTM- Whiskey Spring/Red Tanks Loop
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(6) (0) (0)
User
Trishness
desertgirl
beckett
jdahling
tibber
wanderingsoul
User
User
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Trishness
PostPosted: 8/10/2011, 6:51 pm    Post subject: January 2012 GHOTM- Whiskey Spring/Red Tanks Loop Reply with quote

WHEN: January 21, 2012

This hike will take us approx 15 miles leaving from Peralta TH and looping around the following trails:

4.2 miles on the Dutchman #104 to Miners Summit and the intersection of Whiskey Spring #238. 1.8 miles on Whiskey Spring #238 to the junction of Red Tanks #107. 2.0 miles on Red Tanks to the Junction of Dutchman #104 (would like to take a side trip to Trap Canyon in this section adding an additional mile or so). 2.3 miles on Dutchman #104 to junction of Bluff Spring #235. 3.1 miles on Bluff Spring back to Peralta TH.

Almost all the elevation gain will be to Miners Saddle. If you are used to this kind of mileage in one day, it will be a moderate hike. If you are not used to this kind of mileage, it will be difficult. The Dutchman is relatively flat and Bluff Spring is up and down. I've not been down Whiskey Spring or Red Tanks but have read that they are pretty narrow but not entirely overgrown. (11-07-11 A report from a HAZ hiker states that Whiskey Spring and Red Tanks are in fine shape).

I'm estimating a full 8-9 hour day for the hike with a side trip to Trap Canyon. There is usually reliable water at LaBarge Spring and Bluff Spring but recommended amount to bring is a minimum of 3 liters.

Plan to leave Peralta at 7:30 AM. Let me know if you are interested in camping Friday and/or Saturday nights and I'll try to secure that large spot along Peralta Road near Carney.

desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/22/2012, 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Another fun day in the beautiful Superstitions hike with the "Chicks with Sticks". Thanks Trish for setting this up and for everyone to make it a wonderful time!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 1/22/2012, 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Trish for setting up, it was real nice

Saw places in the Superstitions that I've never seen before. Always nice to see and do something new.
Yes, a wonderful day in the Sups.

Weather perfect not hot, not cold. Little overcast but that was nice too. Not sure how good that was for the Photographers though. Didn't see many early flowers. Couple starting here and there.
I think Ambika, Angela and Trish found lots of things to take pictures of though.

Little stiff today but not as much as I expected after not being out for a while. It is a good ache/stiffness, if there is such a thing.

Was real nice day and hiking with you all.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/22/2012, 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

beckett wrote:
Great hike. Superstitions were as amazing as usual. I think this is my longest hike yet. Glad I finished it with four great ladies!

14.5 miles is a big accomplishment for a day hike. Kudos to you for doing this! I know you were hurting on that last 3 miles but you did it!!!! YAHOO!

Bouncing

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
tibber

PostPosted: 1/23/2012, 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Trish for putting this together. It's a great little Loop that isn't overwhelming length or elevation-wise. It was great to go to an area I had only seen in trip reports and photos.

I had only been doing elevation hikes the last 3 weekends so I was hoping I would be able to manage this longer hike and I did. This hike, of course, was made even more fun with the company. And thx Trish for that chocolate covered raspberry PEEP. It was so yummy and I think it is one of the reasons I got a pep in my step those last few miles.

Congrats to Michelle for getting through this one. There were times when you amazed me as I know you were wasted toward the end. And Linda, you go girl. You kicked a little pumpkin out there too.

Ambika, thx for keeping me company while I enjoyed a no-pressure Tibbermode day. Trish was out on point and was kind enough to wait for us at the junctions.

It was great to re-visit some old territory and make an acquaintance with some new. I think we'll have at least a 4-part video so we can re-live our wonderful day.

Happy Trails,
Angela
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 1/24/2012, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing some of the pictures. I only took a few this time and will get them together to post.

Don't think I got one of all of us. I think Linda took one, but she won't be in the picture... Guess we should have stopped longer to do a delay shot so we could all have been in. Dang it ! We all were so engrossed with the first sight of Water Amazed Silly Us! Silly

desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/1/2012, 12:33 am    Post subject: Whiskey Springs Red Tanks Loop Reply to topic Reply with quote

Photos are now posted: http://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=18569

Enjoy!
tibber

PostPosted: 2/10/2012, 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Videos are posted, still working on photos:

I used the youtube stabilizer so instead of getting sea sick, you get the sense you are floating... can't win for losing but I think the floating is easier to watch.

Video 1 - Peralta TH to Miners Canyon including a beautiful sunrise: http://youtu.be/j6p18tzn0x4
Video 2 - Up Miners Canyon and top of Whiskey Springs Trail: http://youtu.be/TWBxPqymNAY
Video 3 - along Whiskey Springs Trail into Whiskey Canyon toward the Red Tanks Trail: http://youtu.be/SWeLobVuki8
Video 4 - Whiskey Springs Trail and west on Red Tanks Trail: http://youtu.be/KNtq8_qVszI
Video 5 - Red Tanks Trail west to Dutchman Trail: http://youtu.be/UM1DmpuDuTg
Video 6 - Dutchman Trail from Red Tanks Junction and onto Bluff Springs Trail: http://youtu.be/IzYU0fR5T-8

Fun hike with fun people, I highly recommend this wonderful loop.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/10/2012, 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Angela.....thanks for taking the time to film this. My dad <CLINT> is 85 and can't get on these trails anymore so this is the next best thing for him. What a wonderful way to share with our parent's generation.

Many thanks

Trishie

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 2/14/2012, 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just Wonderful Angela. What a great set of video, I re-lived the entire hike Hiking Thank you so much for taking, putting together and posting.

Such a nice hike with a fun companions. Thanks all for a Great Day! Yes

tibber

PostPosted: 2/22/2012, 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You can view some of the photos here and you don't need a Facebook account to view them:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3014889984469.136003.1629171654&type=3&l=f3efcd4ffd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: