ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
January 2012 GHOTM- Whiskey Spring/Red Tanks Loop
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(6) (0) (0)
User
Trishness
desertgirl
beckett
jdahling
tibber
wanderingsoul
User
User
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Trishness
PostPosted: 8/10/2011, 6:51 pm    Post subject: January 2012 GHOTM- Whiskey Spring/Red Tanks Loop Reply with quote

WHEN: January 21, 2012

This hike will take us approx 15 miles leaving from Peralta TH and looping around the following trails:

4.2 miles on the Dutchman #104 to Miners Summit and the intersection of Whiskey Spring #238. 1.8 miles on Whiskey Spring #238 to the junction of Red Tanks #107. 2.0 miles on Red Tanks to the Junction of Dutchman #104 (would like to take a side trip to Trap Canyon in this section adding an additional mile or so). 2.3 miles on Dutchman #104 to junction of Bluff Spring #235. 3.1 miles on Bluff Spring back to Peralta TH.

Almost all the elevation gain will be to Miners Saddle. If you are used to this kind of mileage in one day, it will be a moderate hike. If you are not used to this kind of mileage, it will be difficult. The Dutchman is relatively flat and Bluff Spring is up and down. I've not been down Whiskey Spring or Red Tanks but have read that they are pretty narrow but not entirely overgrown. (11-07-11 A report from a HAZ hiker states that Whiskey Spring and Red Tanks are in fine shape).

I'm estimating a full 8-9 hour day for the hike with a side trip to Trap Canyon. There is usually reliable water at LaBarge Spring and Bluff Spring but recommended amount to bring is a minimum of 3 liters.

Plan to leave Peralta at 7:30 AM. Let me know if you are interested in camping Friday and/or Saturday nights and I'll try to secure that large spot along Peralta Road near Carney.

Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/5/2012, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Gecko!!! That's very helpful

TT

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/9/2012, 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Woo Hoo - Looking forward to this hike ! Hope to see some extra early flowers ?
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/10/2012, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Woo Hoo - Looking forward to this hike ! Hope to see some extra early flowers ?

I'm looking forward to this also! Looks like it's just the chicks. Not sure if anyone has made ride arrangements but if anyone wants to ride with me from AJ, let me know. Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/12/2012, 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like it just the chicks with sticks! We all need to bring our trekking poles for this one. I'm picking up Suz on the way to Peralta so anyone else who wants a ride can get one from me in AJ.

tibber

PostPosted: 1/19/2012, 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Linda and I are riding together from N Phx around 6AM. Looking forward to seeing you all and the Peeps.... well actually eating the Peeps Laughing . I presume I get to eat at least one. I'll need some extra sugar to get me through those extra miles I'm not used to.

HAPPY TRAILS!
Angela
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/19/2012, 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Need to make sure we get a really cool chicks with sticks photo!
Very Happy
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/19/2012, 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz is out due to her ankle. Jeannine is out also because she's got company. So it looks like the four of us! Linda, Angela, Ambika and me. Michelle is a maybe but I haven't heard from her yet to confirm.

Ambika, are you meeting us at the TH or did you want to meet me at my house and drive in together? 7:30-ish at Peralta if you plan to drive in yourself.

We'll leave the picture taking to the experts with us, I'll just be fooling around with my new camera and hoping to get a decent shot Crazy

Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/19/2012, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OH and I do have some PEEPS for the peeps. Appropriately the snowman peeps are in the freezer........how ironic is that?

wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 1/19/2012, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just signed up. I'll be there on Sat morn. Got distracted this week with news from back home. My uncle passed on Sun and funeral is on Friday, so I've been on phone with people this week.

Cool, was wondering if you'd get your new camera before the hike. I'm sure you'll have fun experimenting. I'll be charging camera batteries tomorrow, hoping they stay charged up and not poop out on me. I'm sure I'll get at least some pictures. I'll be more selective this time. But will make sure to get a nice group shot for sure.
Sorry Suz won't be joining, was wondering how her ankle would do But better to let things heal well so as not to have any complications later for things she wants to do.
And will miss Jeannine too! Haven't seen her in years.

Weather looks like it will be really nice

Funny PEEPS in the freezer... Best place for snomen ! Laughing the snomen will be keeping their eyes on us, eh?

See ya'll on Sat

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/20/2012, 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Michelle -- you want to car pool ?
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/20/2012, 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish -- At the TH at 7:30 ish .... Very Happy
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/20/2012, 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have a good hike, weather will be great, look forward to the trip report I will be training for the Tour de Hero which is next week.
oliverr99

PostPosted: 1/21/2012, 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hope you all had fun, I had to take care of family obligations.
beckett

PostPosted: 1/22/2012, 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great hike. Superstitions were as amazing as usual. I think this is my longest hike yet. Glad I finished it with four great ladies!

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/22/2012, 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Adventure filled full day into evening hike in the Supes. Didn't leave the TH until 8 AM....there was some kind of SAR training event going on at the Peralta Elementary School and lots of traffic on lower Peralta Road causing some delays. Made Miner's Summit by 11:00 where it seems we ran into EVERYONE hiking in the Supes today......a nice group of older ladies from Scottsdale doing Bluff Springs Loop and another really large group. Headed down Whiskey Springs and reached Red Tanks Junction at 12:15. Lunch and then Red Tanks to Dutchman trail at 1:45. Ran into Wendy and the ABC crew here. Bluff Springs at 3:45. Terrapin at 4:30. Hit this section of Bluff Springs at prime photo-op time with Weaver's Needle basked in late afternoon sunlight. Slow going out the remainder and came down Cardiac Hill with headlamps. Back to Peralta at 6:30.

Day started off cloudy but by 3 PM blue sky appeared so it was a perfect hiking day. There's some water in Labarge Creek (some of green scummy), pockets of water here and there, water at Labarge Spring, Bluff Spring was dry. Didn't see another soul on Whiskey Springs and Red Tanks until we got closer to Labarge Spring, then only saw maybe 3 people on the way out. I think Angela's GPS registered 14.5 miles total.

Mr. Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: