ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
January 2012 GHOTM- Whiskey Spring/Red Tanks Loop
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(6) (0) (0)
User
Trishness
desertgirl
beckett
jdahling
tibber
wanderingsoul
User
User
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 8/10/2011, 6:51 pm    Post subject: January 2012 GHOTM- Whiskey Spring/Red Tanks Loop Reply to topic Reply with quote

WHEN: January 21, 2012

This hike will take us approx 15 miles leaving from Peralta TH and looping around the following trails:

4.2 miles on the Dutchman #104 to Miners Summit and the intersection of Whiskey Spring #238. 1.8 miles on Whiskey Spring #238 to the junction of Red Tanks #107. 2.0 miles on Red Tanks to the Junction of Dutchman #104 (would like to take a side trip to Trap Canyon in this section adding an additional mile or so). 2.3 miles on Dutchman #104 to junction of Bluff Spring #235. 3.1 miles on Bluff Spring back to Peralta TH.

Almost all the elevation gain will be to Miners Saddle. If you are used to this kind of mileage in one day, it will be a moderate hike. If you are not used to this kind of mileage, it will be difficult. The Dutchman is relatively flat and Bluff Spring is up and down. I've not been down Whiskey Spring or Red Tanks but have read that they are pretty narrow but not entirely overgrown. (11-07-11 A report from a HAZ hiker states that Whiskey Spring and Red Tanks are in fine shape).

I'm estimating a full 8-9 hour day for the hike with a side trip to Trap Canyon. There is usually reliable water at LaBarge Spring and Bluff Spring but recommended amount to bring is a minimum of 3 liters.

Plan to leave Peralta at 7:30 AM. Let me know if you are interested in camping Friday and/or Saturday nights and I'll try to secure that large spot along Peralta Road near Carney.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 8/11/2011, 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think I am in at this time Very Happy I will know for sure when it gets closer
oliverr99

PostPosted: 8/11/2011, 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What is the date, sorry, I didn't see it? I might be interested too.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 8/11/2011, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

well, yes it would help if I put the date!! Edited the entry to January 21, 2012.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 8/15/2011, 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thats my daughters birthday....

I want to shine!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 9/17/2011, 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like another "chicks with sticks" hike.

oliverr99

PostPosted: 9/18/2011, 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I might bring a friend, if that is ok, if she can go.I will know as it gets closer!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 9/24/2011, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anne,

Bring a friend (or 2) Let's hope it's not downpouring rain like the last Supes hike we were on together Eek

Trish

wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/25/2011, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh my, a Snake Charmer and a Rain Maker ! hehe

What more can you ask for, to make a Hike interesting ! Laughing

I'm sure it will "All Be Good"!, just like a walk in the park!

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
jdahling

PostPosted: 10/29/2011, 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish,
Are you thinking of all 15 miles in one day? I may be in - but like the others will know as we get closer. I'm going to block the calendar though! It's been a long time since I've hung with this crowd!

Jeannine

"Life is an adventure ... Made for an adventurer ..."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 10/30/2011, 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jeannine,

Yes doing this as a day hike starting early AM with possible car camping Friday and Saturday night along Peralta Road.

Mr. Green

si na ti

PostPosted: 11/12/2011, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Putting this on my calendar but waiting to hear what my work schedule will be. Just got a new job and will be working 4/10's either Sun-Wed or Wed-Sat. Would sure love to see you all.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/17/2011, 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just unregistered myself. I will be in Costa Rica. I'll think about y'all (maybe!) Mr. Green
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/4/2012, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hope you can make it Cindy!

trekkin_gecko

PostPosted: 1/5/2012, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

water at la barge spring
bluff spring was dry
didn't find whiskey spring
all trails are in good shape
trap canyon is well worth some exploration
this was december 26th
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: