ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Saulsberry Trail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmac

PostPosted: 7/20/2011, 12:57 pm    Post subject: Saulsberry Trail Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
It's been years since I've been on the Saulsberry Trail in the Chiricahua Mountains. Please let me know if you can provide recent information regarding accessibility or condition of the trail. I realize I'm asking this at a time shortly after the Horseshoe 2 fire, but thought I'd ask for any additional information before heading out.
Thanks in advance, Chris
randy883

PostPosted: 7/20/2011, 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Saulsberry Trail Reply to topic Reply with quote

cmac wrote:
Hi everybody,
It's been years since I've been on the Saulsberry Trail in the Chiricahua Mountains. Please let me know if you can provide recent information regarding accessibility or condition of the trail. I realize I'm asking this at a time shortly after the Horseshoe 2 fire, but thought I'd ask for any additional information before heading out.
Thanks in advance, Chris

Don't bother. The entire range is closed to hiking at this time, with the exception of the Silver Peak Trail and a couple in the monument. The Saulsbury Trail area likely burned pretty bad.
cmac

PostPosted: 7/20/2011, 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Regardless of the current condition, I'd like to hear about experiences from anybody who has been on the Saulsberry Trail. For instance, anybody been up to Fly Peak or Rustler Park starting from the Saulsberry Trail head? If yes, do you have a trail report?
Thanks
cmac

PostPosted: 10/28/2011, 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just a quick follow-up, I hiked Saulsberry Trail # 5263, earlier this week. The fire wasn't totally devastating in this area. (A couple of weeks ago, I was in lower Pinery Canyon/North Fork and the fire burned very hot in this area, think scorched earth. Saulsberry burned, but not as badly as parts of North Fork.)

You need high a high clearance vehicle to get to the Saulsberry trail head (via Turkey Creek), but I never had to engage 4x4. On the way in, you pass several cabins that burned up. You also encounter signs warning you of bear and illegal immigration.

As you start out on the trail, the Forest Service has signage:
Saulsberry Saddle, 2 1/4 miles
Rock Canyon Trail, 3 miles
Fly Peak, 6 miles,
Rustler Park, 8 miles

The trail hasn't had a lot of activity, but it was pretty easy to follow except for a few places where the trail intersected a drainage. In some of these areas, erosion washed away the trail, but it's fairly easy to relocate the trail.

Wildlife: I saw about 12-18 deer (I stopped counting.) Evidence of bear, but no sightings. Many butterflies.

Thanks, Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: