ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Wallow Fire Closures
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 6/2/2011, 12:27 pm    Post subject: Wallow Fire Closures Reply to topic Reply with quote

USFS has closed Big Lake and Mt Baldy as of today.

Fire map shows fire not far from Reservation Lake and burning towards Big Lake.

Worries are a huge firestorm as already a crown fire with huge growth since its weekend start.
sbkelley

PostPosted: 6/2/2011, 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sad. This plus the Horseshoe Two fire are making it a tough fire year here in AZ. Meanwhile, Colorado and Wyoming are sitting on record snowpacks
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 6/2/2011, 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Per the White Mountain Independent:
"The United States Forest Service has closed the Apache Sitgreaves Forest. The following campgrounds and areas are closed, including Big Lake Recreation area, Hannagan Meadows, KP Campground, Gabaldon and Mt Baldy Wilderness areas. Law enforcement personnel from USFS, Apache County Sheriff’s Office, AZ Game and Fish, AZ DPS and the Greenlee County Sheriff’s Office are currently evacuating remaining visitors from the closure areas."
http://www.wmicentral.com/news/pre-evacuation-alert-for-alpine-in-effect-apache-sitgreaves-forest/article_39ab81fe-8a47-11e0-abac-001cc4c002e0.html

Bill
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 6/2/2011, 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Reports are smoke from Wallow Fire are even causing problems for people in Colorado.
MaxPower

PostPosted: 6/2/2011, 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I could see the smoke plume of the Flagstaff fire while driving south out of Grand Canyon today. It looked pretty large, even from (I'm guessing) 50+ miles away.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/3/2011, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, but it is over 100 miles away from where you were. I saw it from Winona yesterday, and from over by the Flag Mall today. That sucker is big.

The incident command center in Alpine had problems with the phones going down so were not updating very quickly. The fire is over 100,000 acres.

Rumor has it (I heard from someone living in Eagar) that it's already up onto Escudilla's slopes. Not sure about that, though, it's just what people are saying over there.

I probably should go there, I am still part owner in the house there, but I have plans to go to Tucson this weekend.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 6/5/2011, 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thought about you Elizabeth and the home you have in Springerville. Wondered how you all were fairing. Havent heard it moving in that direction lately, hopefully not.

But it is really sad that so much has burned. It has to be quite taxing for the firefighters and unnerving to those who live in that area. I feel so for all those involved.

I guess Mother Nature thought some houscleaning was needed like Yellowstone or not. I don't remember hearing if this was a natural fire or man-assisted. Either way it is very sad. And possibly Escudilla too, Wow!
All of it is such pretty areas, but will be changed for quite some time.

And the fires in the South too! 3 at once. with resources spread around.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 6/5/2011, 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

reports from locals who were told by dps that fire was started by a camper who left to fish?

camper returned to find fire out of control and his dogs dead.

snyone else hear this...
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/5/2011, 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, I did hear it, but just as hearsay, passed along.

Another rumor I heard today was that since Alpine was evacuated there have been 70 break-ins up there.

My daughter went to Eagar today and brought back a lot of family valuables with her. I will rent a storage unit tomorrow. I have to work Tue-Fri, then likely will go there. Maybe bring back some valuables if necessary. That is, if they haven't evacuated Eagar before I get there.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/7/2011, 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pre-evacuation order last night, Springerville and Eagar. Greer and Sunrise evacuated yesterday. At public meeting I viewed via streaming last night, they said that in many areas, they just don't even know where the fire is. 233,500 acres as of midday yesterday.

Weather forecast for the next four days could not be worse. High winds, very dry. I am going to see if I can get off work. Yes, you would think I could get off work, wouldn't you? If I tell them that my family home, where all my family heirlooms, documents and photos are, is under a pre-evacuation notice and I need to help my disabled husband who still lives in the house?

Yeah, but you don't work where I work. This is the last week of school for FUSD, and we were told we are not allowed to call off without a doctor's excuse. I will talk to my boss after my morning bus run.

I also left my prize possession, a $2500 mountain bike, in that house when I went there over Memorial Day. I asked my husband to bring it with him when he comes here to stay with me in Flagstaff. He isn't sure he will be able to do that. Sigh...

The house is in the middle of Eagar. It is unlikely to burn down. It is much more likely to be looted. Alpine had a LOT of break-ins right after they evacuated, because some people stayed behind and looted their neighbor's houses. Isn't that great...
sbkelley

PostPosted: 6/7/2011, 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hoping for the best for your place, Elizabeth. Evacuating from an oncoming fire is something I've been through (Los Alamos, NM - Cerro Grande Fire of 2000). The irreplaceable items were the first to go in the car. The short-term worry about your house burning down is there during the fire, but I remember the long term effects too (smoke damage, parts of the community gone, working at food collection/distribution drives, interacting with people who'd lost their homes). Not to mention the forests and mountainsides looking like a moonscape.

Here's to hoping Springerville and Eager don't see that.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 6/7/2011, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is just so tragic......I love that area.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/7/2011, 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ugh. Just got back to Flag after being evacuated, only to find out they actually evacuated only south of 260. Well, we are south of 260 but only by one block. I hear via grapevine they plan to backburn up on Flat Top (a hike I often do).

Not sure how long they will keep us out of our homes.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 6/7/2011, 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

E-Beth

This is such a travesty....I hope you get to safety with your family.

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/8/2011, 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, my cat likes Flagstaff so far. She's curled up at the end of my bed, asleep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: