ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Snowy Sups in Spring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAB

PostPosted: 5/14/2011, 7:02 pm    Post subject: Snowy Sups in Spring Reply to topic Reply with quote

It started with a plan to hike Grandview at the Grand Canyon, but extreme winter weather conditions had us changing our route to the Superstitions.

http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8887

This was my first trip into the Superstitions, even though I've been here for 25 years. (just never got to that side of town.)

We took the Peralta with plans of a loop trip. Saturday welcomed us with great hiking weather, cool, but clear. The hike in was a good refresher to backpacking. Good climbs, balanced with lots of open waking, great views and easy navigation. We had a great camp, food and fire. Sunday, we woke to a rhythmic, but insistent rain fall at first light. The rain kept coming, as did the clouds, and cooler temps. We decided to do an in and out over the loop trip do to the massive change in weather. And it was a good choice - get this, SNOW at 1800. The 4+ hour hike out snow for about 3/4 of the trip followed by a solid raining. What a trip. Best burger, whiskey and beer I'd ever had. Beautiful place, can't wait to go again.

The crew, me, that guy and a friend:

Spring blossoms, right (yah, wait til tomorrow)

Full of optimism with Weavers Needle in the background.

Our sleepy little hallow, awesome grove and canopy!

And this is what Sunday looked like! Can you believe it?

Me and my pard: light-weight packable rain gear SOAKED!

Did I mention, it started to stick! This is April 4 at under 2,000 feet! Yikes:

There wasn't a single piece of cloths or equipment that didn't end up on the dry line:

Great trip!

- To those who do... and to those that don't. Cheers!
Hnak

PostPosted: 5/14/2011, 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sometimes the craziest trips turn out to be the most memorable (and sometimes the most fun)! And, just so you know, Grandview can be fun in the snow too (based on my past experience... Rolling Eyes )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: