ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Shinumo Wash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hnak

PostPosted: 5/10/2011, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Shinumo Wash Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shinumo Wash, an exploratory hike...

This is an area I've been wanting to explore more fully for a number of years. In my explorations of the South Canyon area I heard about a route to the river just above Redwall Cavern. I thought this would be fun to explore, and eventually incorporate into a loop hike I've also been contemplating for some time. Access to the east side of the river is through Shinumo Wash, a tributary that drains into the Colorado River just above South Canyon on the west side of the river. An old surveyors route drops off the rim and proceeds down Shinumo Wash, coming to the river on top of the Redwall, then goes downriver for less than a mile where it then goes down to some campsites just above the river. From here the route goes back up to the top of the Redwall, and downstream to a spot just above Redwall Cavern, where there is an 'interesting' route down to the river. I've wanted to explore this area ever since someone put the bug in my ear about hiking to Redwall Cavern....

I tried the Shinumo Wash route a couple years ago, but I just wasn't strong enough at the time, so I only got to the bed of the wash, and maybe a half mile downstream before turning around and heading out. So, feeling somewhat stronger, and having a three day weekend, I managed to convince my friends and fellow Canyon explorers Tracy, Diane and Todd to join me on an exploratory hike. The plan was to drive up Thursday after work to the trail head, hike in on Friday, and camp at the river. Saturday we would explore the route down to the Redwall Cavern area and come back to camp. Sunday we would hike out and wander on home. That was the plan. And we all know how plans go... Rolling Eyes

After watching an amazing sunset while driving north from Flagstaff, we met for dinner in Cameron, then headed north to Cedar Ridge where we wandered out across the rez in the middle of the night to the trail head. I am still happily surprised that even out here, seemingly in the middle of nowhere, there is still decent cell phone reception.

The next morning, after a leisurely breakfast, we headed down the route into Shinumo Wash. After around an hour and a half of switchbacks, interesting ledges in the sandstone, tiptoeing across slippery slopes, and lots of beautiful views, we reached the dry stream bed. From here we wandered down the wash, sometimes on the left, sometimes on the right. The route was intermittently marked with cairns, most of the time we could follow it without too much trouble, but there were a number of times when we had to stop and say "Hmmm, I wonder where we go from here...". Most of the time we would find the right route, sometimes we would just go bushwhacking through the brush until we found what seemed to be the route again. We stopped for lunch at a bit of shade, and were entertained by a couple lizards trying to determine just who was the 'King of the Rock'.

see: http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8892

After a few more hours of route finding, bushwhacking, and sometimes just floundering around aimlessly, we arrived at the top of an area called the 'Silver Grotto'. This is a narrow set of slots that can be rappelled down to get to the Colorado River. River trips also stop and hike up as far as possible to see the area. Not having any technical gear, we just looked at the entrance to the slots, and pushed on another few hundred yards to the river. When we finally got to the river, and headed downstream I was getting pretty fatigued, and I think that some of the others were feeling kind of tired too. As we walked down river along the top of the Redwall, we would occasionally get glimpses of the river, hundreds of feet below us, beneath sheer cliffs. We wondered just how we were supposed to get down to the river, as the cliffs looked pretty intimidating. Finally, the gorge opened up a bit, and the route led down a number of slopes, finally ending at a number of flat areas just above the river. We each found a suitable place to sleep, filtered some water from the river and had a nice dinner together. We also decided that it would probably be a good thing to put off the downstream exploration for another hike, and head back slowly, taking two days to get out and head home. It was a good decision...

Saturday morning, after another leisurely breakfast (hey, we're here to have fun, right?), we started slowly back up the trail to the top of the Redwall, and back towards Shinumo Wash. As we reached Shinumo Wash, and headed up the wash, we heard voices in the distance. We thought it might have been people on a river trip, but revelations later that day gave us a new idea. Going back upstream was somewhat easier, because we were more familiar with the route, and mostly because as we were floundering around on the way down, when we finally found the best route, Todd was setting up more cairns to help us on the way out. They did.

Around mid-day we arrived at the spot where we had lunch on the way down, and were somewhat surprised to see another group of hikers coming down the trail. It turned out to be a young couple along with their two kids, just a bebopping down the trail, having a wonderful time. In talking with them, they mentioned that yet another group was down here somewhere, as there was a minivan from Mesa Community College parked at the trail head. We had not seen anyone else in the area, and guessed that the voices we had heard earlier might have been the people from Mesa C.C. making their way down the Silver Grotto. It was almost depressing to see all the energy that these kids had, until I realized that the parents in this group were most likely younger than my kids are.... Say What?

We then proceeded on up canyon to a place we had stopped on the way down to rest, a large sandstone shelf, next to a large cliff with overhanging rocks above. We had discussed this earlier as a likely place to camp. We also thought to be prudent, as the forecast called for partial clouds this afternoon, and possible showers on Sunday. As we arrived, we were greeted by a loud peal of thunder, and soon a few rain showers blew through the area. We remained warm and dry up against the cliff, and enjoyed the sights of the rain coming down, the glistening rocks, and smells of the first rain in the desert. It was wonderful...

As the others set up their tents, I (having not brought a tent, because the forecast didn't call for rain until Sunday) decided to drape my tarp over a big rock near the base of the wall, and sleep under this shelter. As it turned out, it was dry all night, but it was good to be prepared.

The next morning, we retraced our steps up canyon, and slowly up the slopes, traverses and switchbacks to the rim and out vehicles. It felt really good to put (relatively) clean clothes on, and relax for a bit. On the drive out, we wandered over to a spot where we could look down on the river and Vasey's Paradise. We found what turned out to be the upper end of a tramway built in the early '50s to transport materials to the location where a dam was proposed to be built. All the machinery was gone, but the foundations and anchors (and incredible views) remained.

We then made our way back to the highway, headed to Flagstaff for a nice dinner at the Beaver St. Brewery, shared some parting hugs and plans for future hikes and then headed home. A most wonderful weekend all around!

Hank

pictures at: http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albus08&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

P.S. here are a couple links I found describing the tramway...

http://www.gcrg.org/bqr/10-2/mcd.html

http://www.grandcanyontreks.org/marble.htm
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 5/11/2011, 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome report Hank! Loved the pictures! We didn't get any of out camp at the river, glad you did! So good to be sleeping under the stars by the river again! The most mouse free camping I have ever done in the Canyon! It was awesom! Go where peole don't go and ya don't have to deal with the mice!

Those pesky ravens just wait don't they!? We had to keep someone posted on raven duty at all times to make sure none of us lost our stuff!

Thanks for putting this one together Hank! I was so glad to be back in the Canyon where I belong! Was a little scared I might not make it back again! Hiking

I want to shine!
Hnak

PostPosted: 5/11/2011, 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
...Was a little scared I might not make it back again! Hiking

Not to worry, there are still lots of places to go, and I'd like to try this one again too...
tibber

PostPosted: 5/12/2011, 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great report and photos. I really enjoyed them.

As always, another great trip for you in the Canyon.
jdahling

PostPosted: 5/12/2011, 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This sounds amazing! If you get it on the agenda, I'd like to put my hand up to be part of the hiking / treking team!

"Life is an adventure ... Made for an adventurer ..."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
desertgirl

PostPosted: 5/13/2011, 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Way cool trip Hank & thanks for the trip report .... Applause
Any interest in a Red Canyon Weekend in Fall ?...jus planning....
Hnak

PostPosted: 5/13/2011, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Way cool trip Hank & thanks for the trip report .... Applause
Any interest in a Red Canyon Weekend in Fall ?...jus planning....

I'm always interested... it just depends on when (I have another Field Institute trip scheduled for Oct 8 - 14), and how much (little?) vacation time I have left. Keep me posted...

Thanks,

Hank
Suz

PostPosted: 5/13/2011, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hank, enjoyed your reflections from this trip. It sounds lovely. Wish I could have joined you but couldn't take off Thursday.

Apparently that Silver Grotto is the place to see and THE exit to take is via "balloon boat" as my students say! ( $20 pool toy at Big 5) This is high on my to-do list!

http://canyonchronicles.com/Arizona/Shinumo%20Wash%20-%20September%2018,%202010/album/#

Thanks for sharing.
Hnak

PostPosted: 5/13/2011, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I do want to go back there again. Maybe down through the Silver Grotto, then float down to where we camped, then explore downstream along the top of the Redwall, and.. and... Hiking Hiking Silly
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 5/25/2011, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounded like a Wonderful Trip and you all enjoyed. Glad you were able to get back to do even if its been a few years since the last time.
And sounds like you have new ideas abrewing in that brain already Smile But that is a good thing!

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 6/6/2011, 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great hike Henry Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: