ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Greer Lodge Burnt to Ground

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/10/2011, 12:12 pm    Post subject: Greer Lodge Burnt to Ground Reply to topic Reply with quote

Fox 10 Phoenix -

Fire Destroys Historic Greer Lodge

Updated: Tuesday, 10 May 2011, 8:44 AM MDT
Published : Tuesday, 10 May 2011, 7:33 AM MDT

GREER, Ariz. - The historic Greer Lodge has burned to the ground.

The fire started after 4:00 a.m. Tuesday and destroyed the building.

John Raven was staying at the Greer Lodge and said they were given a five minute warning to evacuate.

Barbara Keehn, who is staying at the nearby Molly Butler Lodge, said it was a scary sight - "it looked like the forest was on fire." Looking out of her window, she said it appears that the fire is contained, but you can still see a lot of smoke.

Caitlin Sandhal, the daughter of the Greer Lodge owner Doug Sandhal, said her father recently had some renovations done to the building. She adds that they're all in shock, but she wouldn't put it past him to rebuild the lodge because Greer means a lot to him.

Doug Sandhal said there was no damage done to the cabins surrounding the lodge.

It's unknown right now if there are any injuries. The cause of the fire is unknown.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/10/2011, 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Called home, and also looked at local newspaper online, there is a comment thread. Just as I suspected, a lot of locals suspect arson, and have good reason. I don't want to go into what I heard, I suppose it is pretty much just gossip. But a couple of weeks ago, when I was in Eagar, I did talk to an old friend who quit working there recently due to some stuff that was going on there. One rumor has it that the cops have brought the Feds in, the ATF. More on that later, if I can find out.

It's really very sad. It was a lovely old place.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 5/12/2011, 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh my goodness. How Sad to hear. I hope that they find that no one was seriously hurt.

Strange things a brewing there, huh? well hopefully they will find the cause. But still sad

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 5/22/2011, 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just went onto the Greer Lodge website, and this is a post from the owner:

Welcome to the Greer Lodge Resort & Cabins. You may have heard about the tragic loss of the Historic "Greer Lodge" building in a fire on May 10.

Unfortunately, the news media coverage made it sound like the ENTIRE Greer Lodge Resort & Cabins was destroyed. IT WAS NOT DESTROYED. The Greer Lodge Resort & Cabins with 60 Cabins and a total of 130 rooms remains Open and it is "business as usual". Our resort sits on 25 acres and it was not damaged by the May 10 fire. We will rebuild the Greer Lodge building and keep you posted as we progress.

We really need your Help during this time of loss. Please Call 928-735-7216 and make your Reservation for a Summer visit to our beloved Greer Lodge Resort & Cabins.

Thank you for your continued support. Please spread the word that the Greer Lodge Resort & Cabins is open for business as usual. Come up and Enjoy our 73° Average Day Time Temperatures this Summer!

Thank you.
Doug Sandahl, owner.

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 5/25/2011, 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

May be in the area soon, planning a camping trip (popup) and stay at Rolf Hoyer campground. Camping with some friends who are planning on bringing their bikes up an were planning on some road and mtn. bike riding in addition to hiking.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/25/2011, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Check out the RR Grade Trail, starting at the 260 trailhead, and riding west toward Sheep's Crossing. Pretty good trail all the way, although there are still cinders in some places. The FS ruined that trail years ago with cinders. But a lot of that has washed away. I ride that trail at least once a year. http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=15451
gps route: http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?DR=0&G=9234,9315&M=3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: