ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mountain lions sighted on Scottsdale golf course

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 3/28/2011, 2:37 pm    Post subject: Mountain lions sighted on Scottsdale golf course Reply to topic Reply with quote

From today's AZ Republic -

http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/2011/03/25/20110325scottsdale-mountain-lions-desert-mountain-golf-course.html

Quote:

67 commentsby Philip Haldiman - Mar. 25, 2011 02:33 PM
The Arizona Republic

A north Scottsdale couple feel lucky to have made a rare sighting of three mountain lions this week on the fourth hole of Desert Mountain Golf Club's Cochise Course.

Desert Mountain resident Linda Borman said she quickly snapped a few photographs on Monday afternoon after her husband, Ty, saw the mother and her two cubs lounging on the fairway of the 546-yard, par-5 hole.

"Ty has a habit of looking out the window in hopes of seeing something," Linda said. "They came out after the rain. I think because nobody was out on the golf course at that time."

Tom Cadden, public information officer for Arizona Game and Fish, said mountain lions live throughout the state, most commonly in rocky areas, where people don't usually see them.

According to the Arizona Game and Fish Department, Arizona's mountain lion population could be as high as 3,000. He said that part of the Valley is home to that species of cat.

"There are certainly some mountain lions in that habitat," Cadden said.

The Bormans have lived along the course - one of six private tracts surrounded by rugged Sonoran Desert - for six years. In that time, they said that they have seen all kinds of native wildlife: javelinas, bobcats, coyotes, diamondback rattlesnakes - but never mountain lions, until Monday.

Linda said the impressive cats hung around for about five minutes, seemingly undisturbed by her taking photos.

It was a "once-in-a-lifetime spectacle," she said.

Ty called it a " 'National Geographic' moment.'"

Linda said she took the first photos through a window because she didn't want to scare away the animals.

"Then I went outside to get a little closer; each time I clicked, they looked at me," she said. "The cubs seemed curious, but not afraid, and the mother looked very protective.

"My husband still hasn't come down from Cloud 9."

azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/30/2011, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Meow! Twisted Evil
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 4/10/2011, 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just gorgeous!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: