ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
2011 hiking in the doldrums .....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 3/16/2011, 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

tibber wrote:
I think Trish owes us a Cabin Loop Wink

I can do that Smile How about in early June for a 3 day backpack trip?

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 3/16/2011, 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness wrote:
tibber wrote:

I can do that Smile How about in early June for a 3 day backpack trip?

sounds like fun! Ok

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 3/16/2011, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll put this one on the books and add a sign up for June. I've only done sections of this hike so I might need some navigation help (esp on the U-bar). 3-day backpack (leaving on a Friday morning) would be great so we only have to do 6-7 miles per day.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/18/2011, 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi you guys! I'm baaaack!

Your trip plans sound fun. Not sure I have time but will try to watch the threads.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 3/19/2011, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am looking forward to it if the timing works out.

I want to shine!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/20/2011, 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2011 hiking in the doldrums ..... Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Just seems like I cannot get out on the trail enough .... How about you ?
Hopefully the hikes this weekend and next in the Superstitions will make me fell better!

Off to Canyon Lake to First water this week & hope to tackle Aylor's arch next week ....

Where are you hiking, what are you doing ?
I want to see some backpacks thrown up here ... Wink

I'm in the same boat. I had to cancel on several trips I had signed on to.

Speaking of being in a boat, I have been trying to learn more about kayaking, specifically white water. Paddled white water in a hardshell kayak for the first time, last Saturday, on the Verde. It was only class 2, but it was scary and fun. And I didn't flip!

Anyway, I am at the end of spring break right now, opted for no backpacking, went to Eagar, did a lot of day hiking, and today I'm hiking in Sedona, up Secret Mountain. I am not planning to go on any backpacking trips until my NAU classes are over with in May. I know, sad, huh? But I have too many irons in the fire. Open Water Rescue takes up a whole weekend in April, as does going to Calif for my granddaughter's 3rd birthday. River guide school for a week in mid-May, etc. My calendar is already too full, and I have to save some weekends to write papers for my classes.

Sometimes I am just here all weekend writing the danged papers.
tibber

PostPosted: 5/5/2011, 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness wrote:
tibber wrote:

TRISHNESS wrote: I can do that Smile How about in early June for a 3 day backpack trip?

Well... any possibility this can happen? FYI: ABC has some kind of Cabin Loop planned for June 12-13 http://www.meetup.com/Arizona-Backpacking/events/17536330/. I don't know what you had in mind...

Maybe we could do something the June 24th weekend? (I can't do the 17th cuz my boss is out).
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/6/2011, 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This sounds fun, although if I have my way, I will be in Idaho at that time (for the first time in over 40 years...!) Anyway, I'll keep up with this thread just in case. I have wanted to do that Cabin Loop.

May I suggest, though, that if people are planning these trips, please do have a Plan B in place, since this is an unusually dry year, and closures could occur. (I am not sure what to suggest as a Plan B, since all of the high country is very dry.)
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 5/9/2011, 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think I'm going to hold off on scheduling anything for June but might shoot for mid-September instead for a couple of reasons.

#1 my ankle sprain from January is STILL bothering me~~~I'm not sure if I'll be up to doing 18 miles, especially with a 30 pound pack.

#2 all the fire restrictions and dry conditions.

azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/10/2011, 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh! Gee, that's too bad, Trish, since I just decided I am probably not going to Idaho. But, in addition to your ankle, I also think there could be some closures, etc.

We got some rain up here in Flag yesterday. Not sure where else it rained, although I heard from my son in Arivaca that it wasn't raining there. I doubt the rain we got will do much over the long term, but it dampened things down for now. If it rained like that once a week, that would be great.
tibber

PostPosted: 5/10/2011, 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness wrote:
I think I'm going to hold off on scheduling anything for June but might shoot for mid-September instead for a couple of reasons.

#1 my ankle sprain from January is STILL bothering me~~~I'm not sure if I'll be up to doing 18 miles, especially with a 30 pound pack.

#2 all the fire restrictions and dry conditions.

No problem.

#1 better to be safe than sorry with your ankle. 30 pound pack, that's the one thing I still need to work on is getting my pack weight down.
#2 they just put in the fire restriction the week we headed to Jordan Hot Springs too. Seems like a dry winter is going to rollover into a dry summer.
jdahling

PostPosted: 5/12/2011, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just hope this stays on the calendar! Schedule permitting (as my schedule can be horrendous) I'd like to go!

"Life is an adventure ... Made for an adventurer ..."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 5/14/2011, 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What weekend works best for everyone?

Sept 16-18 or Sept 23-25????

tibber

PostPosted: 5/16/2011, 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Either, at this point, will work for me. Sounds like fun! as long as we don't get monsooned on Smile
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 5/18/2011, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Let me check when I'm on call and plan around that. Usually the monsoons are over by then but who knows what the weather will do.....I mean seriously....80 degrees....IN MAY?????
Mr. Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: