ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Phoenix/AZ day hike recommendations!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikehanneman

PostPosted: 2/27/2011, 12:39 pm    Post subject: Phoenix/AZ day hike recommendations! Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have been a member for a few years and enjoy your topics and the great photos!!

I will be in Phoenix in early May. I am planning on driving over to Death Valley for a couple of days and then returning. I was wondering if any of you have a suggestion about a 4 to 6 hour hike around Phoenix or within 75 to 100 miles of the area. I am from Iowa and will be traveling alone.

I appreciate your responses and suggestions!!!

Thanks,

Mike
sbkelley

PostPosted: 3/1/2011, 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you're here in early May, the low desert can be uncomfortably warm. That makes it tough to find a near-town hike with pleasant temps, but starting early, being near water, and maybe a cool front passing through all help.

Many of us start heading north and east to the high country that time of year. I think Horton Creek may be a little over that 100 mile limit, but that's a nice one for May. Sixshooter Canyon in the Pinal Mountains would work. If the Agua Fria is flowing, the Black Canyon Trail is worth looking into - leaves right from Black Canyon City.
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 3/1/2011, 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you come to Tucson instead you'll have several 8,500-9,400 foot mountain ranges close by with cooler temperatures to hike in.

Bill
sbkelley

PostPosted: 3/1/2011, 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Agreed...if you can get Southeast, do it. The Sky Islands are great in the summer. Mt. Wrightson, the Catalinas, the Huachucas, Pinalenos, and Chiricahuas are all great options.
mikehanneman

PostPosted: 3/3/2011, 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I really like the desert. I could start early in the morning and make the hike shorter. Any ideas for a shorter desert hike around the Phoenix area?

I really appreciate your feedback! Thanks for taking the time to respond! Mike
sbkelley

PostPosted: 3/3/2011, 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I'd check out the Boulder Canyon Trail that leaves from Canyon Lake. Big views, reasonable grades, and there's a lake at the beginning and end if you're overheating Very Happy The Superstitions are always a treat for the eyes, too.

I'm not sure if this Trailhead is affected by the road work on the Apache Trail, so somebody jump in if so. But as far as I know, you should be able to just take SR 88 to Canyon Lake marina, park, and head up into the hills! Good luck,

Scott
mikehanneman

PostPosted: 3/6/2011, 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you for your input! I sure appreciate it! Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: