ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Magnetic Declination
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
DesertHkr

PostPosted: 1/29/2004, 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Regarding GPS receiver magnetic declination, remember that these units do not 'sense' magnetic north either. They use a predicted algorithm to determine what magnetic north will be. These gradually become less accurate over time, as the rate of change is never constant but varies. Eventually you need a new upgrade or a new GPS receiver.
bzachar

PostPosted: 1/29/2004, 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

DesertHkr wrote:
Regarding GPS receiver magnetic declination, remember that these units do not 'sense' magnetic north either. They use a predicted algorithm to determine what magnetic north will be. These gradually become less accurate over time, as the rate of change is never constant but varies. Eventually you need a new upgrade or a new GPS receiver.

Would you explain what you mean bya "predicted algorithm"? I'm only aware of predictIVE algorithms.

Regarding the rate change, could you cite some sources please? Since the GPSR knows where the satellites are (the almanacs for each SV is transmitted by the SVs) I would expect the GPSR knows exactly where true north is, thus obviating the need for magnetic north.

To put it another way, if you've got a GPSR displaying true north, and a map (every map I've every seen shows true north) why is magnetic declination even relevant? I only see declination a problem for magnetic compass users.

All the GPSRs built in the last several years can have their firmware upgraded by the owner. You download the latest firmware free from the manufacturer's website to your PC and then download it into your GPSR.

Bill
DesertHkr

PostPosted: 3/21/2004, 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My comment had nothing to do with whether or not obtaining magnetic declination information from a GPS receiver was necessary, or useful, or even needed at all when one travels with GPS, map and compass. I only wanted to point out that many GPS receivers have internal data and an algorithm to compute the declination variation between true and magnetic after the true position is established. While the true north pole never varies, the magnetic one does, and not in a consistent manner - the rate of change may speed up, slow down, etc. Thus all algorithms used to predict such change become outdated over time. This magnetic declination data cannot be updated from satellite transmission alone. As I said in my initial comment, you can either buy a newer GPS or get an upgrade - i.e., download corrective data and a new algorithm - if such firmware is available, which may or may not be possible according to the age of the unit and the extent of the download upgrade available from the manufacturer.
bzachar

PostPosted: 4/7/2004, 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As I suspected, this is a non-issue for GPSRs and their firmware. We're taking about differences in time that are separated by several orders of magnitude: geologic time (100,000's of years), and time between GPSR firmware updates (~6-12 months).

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/04/07/poles.reverse/index.html

Quote:
Next time Earth's magnetic field flips, compass needles will point South instead of North. But scientists can't say when it will occur, and until now they've disagreed on how long the transitions take.

A new study pins down how long it took for the last four reversals to play out. It also finds that the dramatic turnarounds occur more quickly nearer the equator than at higher latitudes closer to the poles.

That means folks living during the next reversal -- which some scientists speculate might be underway -- will see compasses change and behave differently in different locations, said study leader Brad Clement of Florida International University.

Giant magnet
Earth's magnetic field is thought to be generated deep inside the planet. An inner core of solid iron is surrounded by an outer core of molten iron. They rotate at different rates, and the interaction between the regions creates what scientists call a "hydromagnetic dynamo." It's something like an electric motor, and it generates a magnetic field akin to a giant bar magnet.

The process is not completely understood. In fact, one study suggests the planet's mantle, which surrounds the core, also plays a role.

However it works, the setup has been in place for at least 3 billion of Earth's 4.6 billion years, scientists figure. But the field is shifty, periodically growing stronger and weaker, moving around, and even flipping its polarity entirely.

In the past 15 million years, there have been four reversals every 1 million years, or about one shift each 250,000 years, Clement explained. The last one, however, was 790,000 years ago. That might suggest we're overdue for a big change. Not necessarily so, Clement says. The flips are not periodic, meaning they don't adhere to a schedule of even intervals.

Yet the intensity of the magnetic field has been dropping for the last 2,000 years, and "it has dropped significantly" during the past two decades, Clement said. One recent study shows the decline in strength amounts to 10 percent over the last 150 years.

Flip in progress?
Some scientists speculate a reversal is underway. Clement said that's like forecasting that the bottom will drop out of the stock market because it's gone down the past few days. "We just don't know," he said.

Researchers also have not known how long it takes for the magnetic field to make a transition. Studies have suggested anywhere from 1,000 to 28,000 years are required to initiate and complete a reversal.

"It is generally accepted that during a reversal, the geomagnetic field decreases to about 10 percent of its full polarity value," Clement said. "After the field has weakened, the directions undergo a nearly 180 degree change, and then the field strengthens in the opposite polarity direction. A major uncertainty, however, has remained regarding how long this process takes."

Clement examined sediment cores gathered from deep-ocean sites in a National Science Foundation program. The cores provided readings at multiple sites for the past four flips. He found that each took about 7,000 years.

Interestingly, however, there is significant variation depending on latitude.

Which way is up?
It takes less time -- around 5,000 years -- for the reversal to occur at lower latitudes. And it takes longer -- about 10,000 years, for the flip to play out nearer the poles. So not only would compasses gradually do a somersault in readings, but Arctic dwellers would see changes that wouldn't match what tropical observers would note across the generations.

Nobody understands how the shift occurs. Perhaps, Clement says, the magnetic field shrinks to essentially nothing, leaving several "mini-poles" at the surface before the main poles rebuild on opposite sides of the world.

Scientists have plenty of reasons to seek a better understanding. For one, the magnetic field lines extend out beyond Earth's atmosphere and provide the first line of defense against strong solar storms. And Clement wonders how the reversals might affect navigation by migrating birds and other animals that key in on the magnetic field to find their way.

"But 7,000 years is probably enough for them to adapt," he said.

"Clement has demonstrated that magnetic field reversal events occur within certain time-frames, regardless of the polarity of the reversal," said Carolyn Ruppel, program director of the National Science Foundation's division of ocean sciences.

The study is detailed in the April 8 issue of the journal Nature.

"The work is an important contribution to our understanding of magnetic field reversal on our planet," said Ronald Merrill, a professor of geophysics at the University of Washington, in an analysis written for the journal.
plummer150

PostPosted: 4/8/2004, 8:54 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the article. However, I"m still skeptical about the whole thing; and until I actually see it happen with my compass etc. i'm not sure I believe something like that can happen Silly
DesertHkr

PostPosted: 6/21/2004, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't think you're getting what I'm talking about, bzachar. It doesn't take that long for GPS algorithms to become outdated w/o software upgrades. One doesn't have to wait thousands of years for a complete polarity reversal to occur - magnetic declination varies and changes with the shifting location of the magnetic pole, and only a few years will suffice for this (which is why older map declination information becomes inaccurate over several years). The algorithm tries to predict this shift (hence the term), but as the change is not constant, the model becomes outdated without replacement/upgrade. I've got two older GPS receivers whose declination information (using a 10 or 15 year old algorithm) has already gone out of date within 5 years of manufacture. The change isn't great by any means, of course, but it's there. Whether it's a non-issue to anyone or not, your question to me was for an explanation of the algorithm as utilized by GPS receivers, so I'm providing one to you. Fixed models of predicting declination cannot provide permanent, constantly corrected, ever-accurate declination, and so they must be revised every few years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: