ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Looking for Cottonwoods in the Supes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
flagbackpacker

PostPosted: 1/20/2011, 9:57 pm    Post subject: Looking for Cottonwoods in the Supes Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know this is a strange request, but I thought I'd throw it out there...

I am a backpacker, but my day job is Biologist...
I study Cottonwoods at NAU. My current project (for you plant-types out there) is to compare Fremont Cottonwoods that have experienced Tamarisk invasion with those that have not experienced it.

I am interested in collecting samples (so, cuttings of branches) of cottonwoods from all over the state. The cottonwoods I have seen in my hikes in the Supes are very special -- isolated trees at lower elevations that do not have much tamarisk around. I have seen the trees near LaBarge spring, trap canyon, and along the red tanks trail, but am interested in other pockets of cottonwoods in the area.

What I would like to collect are descriptions (and photos, ideally) of cottonwoods in other areas in the Supes. I would like to plan a trip to collect cuttings of these trees to grow up in the greenhouse to further our understanding of what makes these cottonwoods different from others in the state.

If you would like to help me in my research, please forward me any info/pictures you may have.
If you have ANY questions about my research please feel free to ask. I am happy to give more information than what I included here.

Cheers!
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/21/2011, 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just inside the Superstition Wilderness Area only ? Some areas not in the SWA but part of the Superstition Range.
flagbackpacker

PostPosted: 1/21/2011, 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anywhere in the general area is fine...no such thing as too much info at this point!
Thanks
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/21/2011, 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I remember some in lower La Barge creek from the lake all the way yo th box, with a significant amount at the box.

I think theres a few over at Hackberry Spring?

Down in the creek at Peralta, just near the trailhead?

Dripping springs area over in JF Canyon?

GTG
tibber

PostPosted: 1/21/2011, 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Fish Creek both upper and lower.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/22/2011, 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hackberry Springs North in First Water Wash
Peralta Canyon
Reeds Water
Whitlow Canyon
Peacock Springs
Queen Creek
Millsite Canyon
Hewitt Canyon
West Fork Pinto Creek
Pinto Creek
Tortilla Creek
Some area you may note Arizona Cypress trees
Also suggest Trees of the American Southwest by George A. Petrides and I think a study was done by a Mr. Patten.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: