ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
What's on your 2011 hiking wishlist ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/28/2010, 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

cakewalk wrote:
Angels landing in Zion

That's always a great hike !!!
beckett

PostPosted: 12/28/2010, 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

1.) Las Vegas Area Hikes (possibly valley of fire area)
2.) One hike in Glacier National
3.) At least one hike in Yellowstone
4.) Keet Seel
5.) Aravaipa
6.) backpack Grand Canyon
7.) Havasupai
8.) Mt. Humpherys
9.) More in Superstitions
10.) More hiking with friends rather than solo hikes

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
beckett

PostPosted: 12/28/2010, 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hope to get a couple more local hikes in before the end of the year, but I'm with you Ambika...there are still a few local hikes I need to check off.

tibber

PostPosted: 12/28/2010, 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Somehow, I can manage to go to the ends of the world to hike but just don't seem to manage to do enough in my own backyard...

Very Happy More local dayhiking ....

On mine ....

1. Camelback
2. Picacho Peak
3. Flatiron or more so overnight on Flatiron!
4. Weavers needle Rock Climb
5. 1 dry canyoneering experience ....
6. Fish Creek
7. Something in the Tucson area
8. Humphreys in Fall via Weatherford as a backpack perhaps
9. Camp in the Superstitions
10. AZT in Northern AZ ...

Let's see:
I'll take #1, #5, #7, #9, #10 maybe for #3 as to overnite and maybe for #8 depending on temps.
I should be doing #2, have done Flatiron day and #6.

Trishness wrote:

1.) Zion Narrows backpack
2.) Spooky and Peekaboo Gulch and lots of Escalante hikes
3.) Denali National Park (I have a friend in Alaska so this might be do-able)
4.) Keet Seel
5.) Aravaipa
6.) More Grand Canyon
7.) Havasupai
8.) Cabin Loop, Mogollan Rim
9.) Bryce Canyon, Under the Rim trail backpack
10) Colorado, Rocky Mountain N'tl Park

If it's something I can do: #1, #2, #6, #9
I've done: #4 and #5

beckett wrote:

2.) One hike in Glacier National
3.) At least one hike in Yellowstone
4.) Keet Seel
5.) Aravaipa
6.) backpack Grand Canyon
7.) Havasupai
8.) Mt. Humpherys
9.) More in Superstitions
10.) More hiking with friends rather than solo hikes

#1 sounds good to me. I'm always game for #2, #5, #6 and #9. I've done 8... I don't know, that last mile.... #4 I might consider doing again. I think it's a beautiful hike.

Local Phx stuff: Cave Creek/Skunk Tank Loop, Tom's Thumb
I'd like to do some more Sedona hiking: (I've already done Devil's Bridge, Vultee's Arch & Bell Rock/Courthouse Butte)

Supes: Robber's Roost, Marsh Valley Loop, Charlebois Springs, Peters Mesa, Reavis Falls, and wouldn't mind doing the Cave Trail again, that was a hoot.
And maybe something in the Goldfields.

And of course, I am game for the GC if it's something I can do. I've not done anything in Bryce or Zion.

Quite honestly, I am game for anything if it's within my capabilities and not below 30 degrees temperature-wise.

And I can't wait Multi Multi
cakewalk

PostPosted: 12/28/2010, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

beckett wrote:

Yes - do this. Valley of fire is a spectacular place.
oliverr99

PostPosted: 12/28/2010, 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hmmm, I was thinking about this. Basically, just hike more and backpack wherever and whenever I can, but if I must have a list:

1. Mt. Humphrey's
2. Rim2Rim -again
3. AZ Trail -different sections
4. More Grand Canyon
5. Aravaipa, maybe 5x in 2011

I like to go to other places I have not explored! Happy Trails in 2011!!
beckett

PostPosted: 12/29/2010, 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Rainy day and sick grand daughter is keeping me from getting to one of those local hikes today. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
Linda

azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 12/30/2010, 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am getting into kayaking and rafting, so I am going to have to say, I want to do the Verde, Salt, San Francisco, Gila Box, Grand Canyon and also the Lower Colorado this year! Oh, and the San Juan in Utah and the Arkansas in Colorado! I may not get to ALL those rivers, but I will try to hit several of them.

I am with Trish on doing Cabin Loop, I have not done that one.

Here are some ideas for backpacking trips. (I do not list day hikes on wish lists and I do not do very many repeats!!):
1. Rincons 5 day backpack, Happy Valley to Manning Camp.
2. Nankoweap or Deer Creek: North Rim. Also 5 days.
3. Another section or two of Tonto, South Rim, such as Grandview to SK.
4. Hells Gate Wilderness.
5. Bill Williams Gorge (ABC is doing it Jan 14-16 and I am signed up!)
6. Cabin Loop
7. Gila Wilderness.
8. West Clear Creek
9. Wet Beaver Creek.
10. Powell Plateau.
11. Leonard Canyon/EAST Clear Creek.
12. Chiricahuas 3 or 4 day backpack. Not sure what trails.
13. Anything that comes up on the boards that I have not done!

Around Flag, I will keep on day hiking Sedona, just trying a new trail or off-trail every time I go there. I am already getting slightly more familiar with it since I have been hiking there 4 times. Wilson Mtn. is on my Sedona list. I would like to climb Agassiz and Humphreys in the snow, but I need better snowshoes. I will be doing some cross country skiing whenever possible, also. When the weather warms up, Elden will be my "exercise hike" to do more often, since it is near my house. I likely will not climb Humphreys in summer, unless via an unusual route. I have hiked it 4 times and I am done with it. Too crowded. I may not be in Flag this coming summer, anyway. Very Happy May be in Colorado, or White Mtns., or??

I am going to Yuma in January for some cycling and possible kayaking. I am taking white water kayaking, rock climbing, and open water rescue classes at NAU this spring. I am signing up for a two-week white water rafting course in late spring in Colorado. I am hoping to get in on a private river trip in Grand Canyon sometime in the summer. And maybe even a Diamond Down over Spring Break. So, that is what is on my list.

Happy New Year!
oliverr99

PostPosted: 12/31/2010, 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
I am getting into kayaking and rafting,

I am too! I just went kayaking for the first time last weekend, and loved it. I plan to do a paddle over MLK weekend. See how that goes. Have fun on yours.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 12/31/2010, 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My husband has a tandem recreational kayak, and we had fun with it on the lower Colorado River near Yuma a couple of years ago, but I haven't paddled since then. I also took a flat water kayaking class at the college in Yuma back then. They used sit-on-tops.

My next kayak paddle is going to be in Yuma, also, in about 3 weeks. But this time, I want to try out some nice touring kayaks, (the kind that have a rudder you work with your feet) so I am going on the Colorado River with a lady who is a rep for Eddyline.

There may be room on the above day trip, if anyone is interested.

Yuma and other areas in W. AZ are absolutely incredible for flat-water kayaking. There are a couple great sections of the Colorado River, plus the lower Gila, which pretty much has water in it all the time. Then there are something like 30 lakes in the area.
Deborah

PostPosted: 12/31/2010, 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anywhere beautiful! I already have plans for Jan 2 Backpacks. Tomorrow : Superstitions, Jan 21 Ringbolt Hotsprings. Feb: Romero Pools and the Eagle Tails,
March: Arivipa Canyon
I would like to get to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Keet Seel, Crack House in the Sierra Anchas. Hutch's Pool backpacking, Wild Burro Creek.. Ect.. ect... ect...

Just want to keep my health and my 45 year old body in shape for another year. Very Happy
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 12/31/2010, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Set up the tent for a base camp in the White Mtns. and explore.
Finish the touring bike and bike tour.
More week long camping trips.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/31/2010, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Deborah wrote:
Crack House in the Sierra Anchas.

This is a beautiful area.......if you haven't done Pueblo Canyon I urge you to do so since it is off to the west where the trail splits. The road really sucks though.......

Trish Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
threedogz

PostPosted: 12/31/2010, 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness wrote:
AWWW.... I like Tuckerman's just for the challenge........Mount Katahdin??? This is very cool meeting another New Englander here in AZ. I think I've met 3 in ten years. The deciding question is are you a Yankees fan or a Red Sox fan????

Question

Huntington's ravine is more of a challenge, but Tuckermans was a big challenge when a microburst showed up that wasn't in the forecast. First time I cried on a hike and laid down flat on a trail to avoid the lightening strikes.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/1/2011, 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

threedogz wrote:
Huntington's ravine is more of a challenge, but Tuckermans was a big challenge when a microburst showed up that wasn't in the forecast. First time I cried on a hike and laid down flat on a trail to avoid the lightening strikes.

Next time don't make yourself into a ground conductor. Instead, take off your pack, get rid of any metal, and squat on the pack. Most lightning strikes that hurt people are not direct hits, but splash-overs. The ground conducts electricity. So, make an insulation between yourself and the ground. Rubber shoe soles are not enough insulation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: