ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
How was your hiking in 2010?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

How often did you hike in 2010?
I think I was hiking more than I was home!
45%
 45%  [ 10 ]
I got out hiking about half as much as I wanted.
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
I didn't get out as much as I wish I could have.
31%
 31%  [ 7 ]
My gear has cobwebs growing on it!
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 22

beckett

PostPosted: 12/12/2010, 5:17 pm    Post subject: How was your hiking in 2010? Reply to topic Reply with quote

As the year comes to a close, take a minute to look back at how often you got out on the trail.

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/12/2010, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Can't complain much ... ~ 20 hikes (including 3 amazing backpacks) About 230 miles & 33K elevation ...
Ok where did I go
Goldfields, Quartz Peak, Dutchman & Balck Mesa Loop, Patagonia - "W Hike in Torres Del Paine in Chile, Mt. FitzRoy, Cerro Torre , Igazu Falls - Argentina, Glacier National Park , Grand Canyon North Rim, Chiracahuas, Fall color at Hart Praire & Aravaipa and the easier (compared to my usual S Rim Fix) Grand Canyon South Rim Backpack - but I got to Rainbow Falls this time around.

Add to this a few good climbs - The Monk at Camelback & Courthouse Rock and got to spend 8 weeks with family in India
Another great year with some great friends to share them with Smile
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/12/2010, 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

WOW I did a lot more this year than I thought!!! My year started out with a BANG and did the Full Dutchman from Peralta to First Water...all 18 miles. Met Jack Carlson (nice man), Superstition Ridgeline, Weavers Needle Loop, bushwhack through Red Tanks. In May went to Colorado, Utah and Northern Arizona. Hiked around Aztec Ruins, part way up Hesperus, Frying Pan Trail, Cassidy Arch and Chimney Rock trails in Capitol Reef.....Under the Rim trail. Peekaboo and Fairyland Trails in Bryce. North Kaibab to Roaring Springs at the North Rim. The Escalante River trail where I fell HARD in the river and tore up my legs and dunked my camera. Hole in the Rock Road. LOL some gulches down that way.

Wrightson in September.

I had a GOOD year~~~

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/12/2010, 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd rather not talk about it!

I want to shine!
Hnak

PostPosted: 12/13/2010, 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very frustrating, but next year's going to be MUCH better!!! Mr. Green
Sun Ray

PostPosted: 12/13/2010, 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

High mileage year in the past was 389 so I was looking at doing 390....but wait that's really close to 400! Looks like I'll make the 400 miles in the year after my 5 way bypass surgery. Just don't tell the doc Rolling Eyes
oliverr99

PostPosted: 12/13/2010, 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My goal this past year was to try and backpack every month. I just about accomplished that. I hope to continue with even more backpacks next year! Great year for hiking!
MaxPower

PostPosted: 12/13/2010, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just moved to Arizona in June, after my early retirement. But I've been fairly busy. This will be my 1/2 year total....hope to improve on that in 2011 for sure!

Grand Canyon: 19 hiking days
Sedona: 2 hiking days
Mt Humphreys: 1 day hike
Assorted hikes here in Prescott: 5 hiking days

Total milege comes up to about 275 so far, with a couple of weeks to go. Very Happy
tibber

PostPosted: 12/14/2010, 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't think 2010 can be topped, mostly because you can only have one FIRST time into the Grand Canyon plus it included my longest hike ever (Ribbon Falls and back from Bright Angel campground).

I think I got to do it all this year from creeks to caves to valleys to mountains to tops of mountains. My hiking took me to less than 30 miles from the Canadian border (Glacier Park) and less than 30 miles from the Mexican border (Organ Pipe Cactus Natl Monument).

I hiked nearly 350 miles (yep I need new boots), 150 more miles than I did in 2009. I'm still one of the slowest hikers out there but I'm having one pumpkin of a time seeing all that I possibly can.

I do have to say I'm nearly worn out for the year though, but it was worth it. Yahoo! Now if we can just find Joe Sad !

HAPPY TRAILS.
Deborah

PostPosted: 12/17/2010, 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't keep track of mileage, I keep track of all the wonderful scenery and fun times I have had on the trail.
Wish I didn't have to work!
2010 Rocked.
I have lost 50 lbs since Oct. 2009 and am in great shape keeping up with the fastest of SAHC peakbaggers.
I have been peakbagging a bit this fall and look forward to getting a few new ones over the holidays.
My biggest adventures and joys have been the overnight trips with friends.
My favorite trips have been backpacking Ariviapa in March, overnights in June in the Chirachuas, and Lemmon Pools area. Even though I froze in November the trip to Mineral Creek rocked too since I broke down and bought a new Ospry Kestrel which is so nice to carry. I was carrying an old Kelty external frame!
Looking forward to more adventures in 2011 and have already signed up for trips with some of our backpacking meetup groups!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/17/2010, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Deborah wrote:
I don't keep track of mileage, I keep track of all the wonderful scenery and fun times I have had on the trail.
Wish I didn't have to work!
2010 Rocked.
I have lost 50 lbs since Oct. 2009 and am in great shape keeping up with the fastest of SAHC peakbaggers.

YAHOO Deborah.......50 pounds is nothing but phenomenal!!! I thought your entire year hiking post was great but I certainly feel that the weight loss is worth applause! Congrats on that because that takes will power.

Yahoo! Multi Applause Applause Applause

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: