ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Search for Joe Domin GPSJoe
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(4) (5) (5)
User
beckett
azhiker96
tough_boots
Randal Schulhauser
User
Suz
tibber
desertgirl
Trishness
oliverr99
User
GTG
Tom Treks
Hikngrl
cabel
Thoreau
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 6:11 am    Post subject: Search for Joe Domin GPSJoe Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone want to help look for GPSJoe this coming Saturday and Sunday?
We'll plan on car camping in the area.

GTG
sbkelley

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It seems like the SAR efforts have combed that ridgeline pretty extensively, based on his GPS track? I'm guessing the answer is 'yes', but have folks checked any local springs, seeps, water sources (if any are active right now)?

I'm specifically looking at Thicket Spring on the map, but there certainly could be others.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I see that the search crew looks to be taking a break on Friday and returning full force for the weekend. (it's what I just read on Hikearizona.com) GPSJoe's son will be there on Friday and welcomes the support.

I did send an email to a CAMRA friend and will update this if I hear or can confirm their plans.
tough_boots

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey folks, I'm a common face over on HAZ and I'd like to come help the search. I can go on Saturday and Sunday. Is anyone carpooling from the valley?
GTG

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We're coming in from the west side early Sat AM. We will be camping with a dog Sat night and leaving Sun afternoon.

Where are you located?

GTG
oliverr99

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would love to come and help one day, just not sure which one I can do. I will post, but I can't car camp. Is there anything specific I need to bring for a search, besides what I bring for hiking? And where can I meet you all, the trailhead where his vehicle was located?
tough_boots

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm coming from Tempe. Maybe I should just find a way to meet you folks. What time are you planning on getting up there?
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can do Sat and possibly Sunday.

Is the TH turnoff the Mt Ord/Sycamore Creek jct on AZ87 as I think there's parking near the highway but a shuttle would be needed from there.

Official TH is suppose to have very little room?
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The official trailhead can fit probably 8-10 vehicles if parked parallel and uniform around the parking area. Not sure how much room will be taken by SAR during the weekend. The road in is pretty long and rough in spots. I do remember seeing a few spots along the road in that could be used as shuttle parking, but I haven't been out there for a while, so things could have changed.

Suz, can you possibly ask your CAMRA friend if there will be any room at the trailhead for parking on Sat?
GTG

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom Treks wrote:
The official trailhead can fit probably 8-10 vehicles if parked parallel and uniform around the parking area. Not sure how much room will be taken by SAR during the weekend. The road in is pretty long and rough in spots. I do remember seeing a few spots along the road in that could be used as shuttle parking, but I haven't been out there for a while, so things could have changed.

All true as I remember. There are a few places along the road to car camp if I remember as well. Here's directions -
http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=479

Quote:
Directions to trail: SR87 east to signed turnoff for Sycamore Creek about .5mi north of mile post 222. Turn left across divided highway and follow paved road to dirt road on right at 1.2mi. Cross the cattleguard and go 1.2mi to the fork of FR25 and FR201. Veer right and follow FR201 (Mt.Peeley Summit Rd.)to its end @10mi total from hwy).

What time should we try for to meet at the trailhead?

GTG
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Guess it depends on when you can make it out there. I was thinking around daybreak when it's light enough to safely drive that road.

How about meeting at 7:00 at the gravel/dirt turnoff at 1.2 miles in from 87? That might be a good spot to use as a shuttle spot if there isn't anything more usable further in.
beckett

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can help on Saturday; however, if you feel I'm not a strong enough hiker please say so. This is about Joe. I want to help...not hinder. I can be at the trailhead by 7:00. Where is the best place for directions?
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As a side note...

Thanks to Thoreau, cabel, and tough_boots for joining and joining in 'over here'. Smile Pretty cool.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

beckett wrote:
I can help on Saturday; however, if you feel I'm not a strong enough hiker please say so. This is about Joe. I want to help...not hinder. I can be at the trailhead by 7:00. Where is the best place for directions?
Linda

Todd posted directions a few posts above. You're a strong hiker, Linda. Just do what you can do, you know it's all appreciated. Be sure to wear durable pants and long sleeves.
Tracy says that it may get wet and cold, so bring rain gear, warm hat, and gloves. Waterproof boots will be a plus if it get's really nasty.
tough_boots

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom, 7:00 at the turn-off sounds good to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: