ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Search and Rescue for Joe Domin GPSJOE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
beckett

PostPosted: 11/17/2010, 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My prayers are with you and with Joe. I can only only imagine the heaviness of your heart. may God continue to guide the searchers.
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
sbkelley

PostPosted: 11/17/2010, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Diane, I'd consider heading out there this weekend. It's hard to say how much more we could do than SAR, but you never know. Like others have said, I definitely don't want to get in the way, but I'd be open to the idea of trekking in there.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/17/2010, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have tentative plans to drive a friend in to the trailhead Friday later in the afternoon. I have a mandatory work related class on Saturday but could be around Sunday.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
Just wondering about everyone's thoughts on the possibiity of volunteering to search this weekend if for some unfortunate reason Joe is not found before then. Those of us who are left after the dropping like flys stages over on the backpacking thread for this weekend that is....Just looking for some feedback and your thoughts....

I am willing to help this weekend with the search. Like Scott mentions, not sure what else we can do that SAR hasn't so far, and I don't want to get in the way, but it sounds like the formal search may be winding down.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

hikngrl and I are discusing going out there this weekend as well. We should coordinate those here that want to go and contact those on HAZ that are going. Superstition Guy over on HAZ makes a valid point here -
Quote:
Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals
by SuperstitionGuy » Nov 17 2010 9:04 pm

FYI - it is very important to leave detailed information with a responsible friend or loved one when you are going out into any wilderness or even a city park hike.

When Hank/Grasshopper contacted Joe regarding his concerns for GPSjoe his question was how to contact the responsible SAR unit for this trailhead location. I happened to be online at the time and Joe immediately copied Hanks request to me. I responded to Joe to have Hank or Gabriele immediately contact the Sheriff's department for the County that the trailhead was located in as the first thing they would do is send a deputy out to the trailhead looking for the subjects vehicle.

Nothing else is usually done until this is accomplished. Each County Sheriff's department knows the roads and trailheads for their hiking and backpacking locations and they know what SAR unit is best equipped to handle the various areas within their County and are responsible for despatching that SAR resource. If the location is close to a boundry of two or more Counties which is the case in this search it is very important to reach the correct County dispatch for the location where the overdue persons vehicle may be parked at.

Therefore please know your County lines and County Sheriff's phone numbers when you leave information with your responsible friend or loved one before you head out.

Time is of the essence for searches to be successful in bringing you back and back alive and searchs do not begin until SAR units know where you started your outdoor adventure.

We should make sure that we have a plan for ourselves not to get lost as well.

I have never hiked in this area and have an unreliable GPS.
I do have multiple FRS radios to distribute amongst volunteers.
We also have to figure out what to do with our dog since we can't take her out hiking there.
I'll start a new thread for volunteers to go out this Saturday.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree with everyone who says they don't want to get in the way but if the formal search is called off then there should be no one to get in the way of. I feel that recombing the area and some of the other areas mentioned over on HAZ can only be helpful. It is a large rugged area that human eyes can not possibly have laid eyes on every inch of so if a new set of eyes goes out and looks it can only help. Joe is out there somewhere and I don't think I can sit around a campfire at Tony cabin this weekend knowing that. I would like to go out and at least try to help. I pray to God that they find Joe today but if they don't and the search is called off I will be out there this weekend.

I want to shine!
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Everyone that knows Joe, whether personally or through posts, please pull together as a "Community" and help to find our friend.

Joe's plight could happen to any of us and I'm sure that you would want to be comforted knowing that you could depend upon your friends and community to help find you.

You all have a lot of experience in the wilderness. Please put those skills to use this weekend and find our lost friend Joe.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

you probably already know but there is some talk over on HAZ about getting folks together to help search for joe.
http://hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5664&p=62786#p62786
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh this is so upsetting. Joe is always so astute and diligent about his hikes and treks,. I hope and pray he is found and well.Does anyone have any tracking dogs? I hope you all pull together to find him. I am working all weekend, but woulddo what I can. Sad
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes Susan, we have been watching HAZ as well. Todd will trying to get in touch with some one over there today to see if some coordination can be done.

I want to shine!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GB is sending me the track file that Joe created on 11/6. Hopefully I can get it loaded onto my GPS without any trouble. I know Joe has one of the recent models and hope that there won't be compatibility issues.
I also have some FRS radios to bring. I will bring some extra AA batteries along.

Let me know what the plans are.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can go on Saturday or Sunday. Or Saturday and half of Sunday.
threedogz

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can go Sunday, Saturday I have a mandatory class and I am on-call during the day/evening.

I also have a newer model GPS the garmin 60CSx if someone wants to borrow it for Saturday/Sunday. Let me know.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to go this weekend.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm just posting these links for the folks who are not familiar with HAZ. They can find updated information there along with being able to download gps file of Joe's proposed hike. It will also show the areas he has already hiking several times attempting the reach Sheep Mountain
Hank, (grasshopper) will be updating info on HAZ on a regular basis.
http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?QX=97

http://hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtopic.php?p=62797#p62797
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: