ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Search and Rescue for Joe Domin GPSJOE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For prayers there is a Patron Saint of miracles, lost thing, and missing persons named Saint Anthony.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here are some discussion Hank (grasshopper) had with another hiker
* Report this post

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Postby Grasshopper » Nov 18 2010 5:11 pm

laztazam wrote:It may be worth looking on the south/east slope as you could potentially bail down that slope to intersect AZT near Thicket Spring... You could also descend to the north or west and get down to Sheep trail eventually.
I am available to help this weekend but I don't want to clog the area or be a nuisance. I know the area very well and have been hiking in the area for 25+ years.

I feel now at 10 days into this, all options are on the table for search and rescue.

Joe and I hiked together on the Cornucopia TR86 and the Thicket Springs TR loop and back in Spring-2010, Joe had pretty much eliminated this area your refer to for approach, but you bring up excellent possibilities of Joe "needing to bailout" on his way back due to possible time/daylight constraints, so to me it surely seems possible that could have happened. I don't believe the SAR teams since the search start on 11/16-11/18 have been concentrating much effort to date on this scenario for possible bailout down the south/east slope of Sheep Mtn to Thicket Springs TR or to Cornucopia TR or down the north/west slopes to Sheep Trail. I have just communicated by phone with the SAR commander to express these new possibilities for more concentrated search and he will certainly consider for their Saturday return.

Thanks for your valuable input and we do hope you will consider individually helping out in the search effort for Saturday and/or Sunday.
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Chris (Joe's son) reported today's activities:
There was an unbelievable effort with additional manpower and also canines that were dropped onto the ridge line. Several SAR personnel rapelled down the sides of the last 1/3 mile to see if they could spot anything in the heave dense vegetation.
Helicopter crew took Chris over the search area as the SAR personnel and canines (all had on orange vest/gear) were on the ground. Chris could see how dense the vegetation is since dogs and and SAR team with orange vests were barely visible. Out of three dogs they could only spot one!

When SAR returns on Saturday they will add additional manpower and work the drainages and up towards top from the creek.
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hank posted this update:
Updates from the field as of this Thurs-11/18pm:
(re: my recently completed phone call with the SAR team commander for Maricopia County)

...Regarding the "active search map": http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?QX=97
As of this PM most all colored GPS tracks on this reference map have now confirmed to be hiked and searched by today's 10-12 SAR team members, a helicopter, and/or by 2 canine units were brought in this AM to hike and search to the Mount Peeley Summit and explore the complete summit area. NO additional clues were found today as to assist in locating our GPSjoe; Now day 10 that he has been missing comes to a close;

...The SAR teams will take a well deserved day off tomorrow, FRI-11/19 and plan to return in same force on Saturday but with more support than today: On Saturday, the Maricopia Mountaineering team (10-15 highly qualified) will be on scene via helicopter drops to concentrate as directed to search the more rugged, dicey, areas around, up and down the slopes and cliffs of Sheep Mountain;

..Tomorrow, Fri-11/19 thru Sun-11/21 many qualified individual contributor hikers and backpackers from HAZ and AZH are welcomed and encouraged by SAR to continue the areas search individual effort. Please look for significant clues, any signs of Joe having passed the areas, and mark/take any significant waypoints for reporting to SAR (Please note: tonight the Maricopia County SAR team commander has expressed to me his concern that only well prepared, equipped, seasoned hikers, and backpackers should consider some of the more serious off trail sections in this search area per the above active search map. The off trail vegetation is very show, thick, difficult, and can be dangerous for the not qualified and prepared. Only advanced hikers should consider certain sections of the Sheep Mtn Ridgeline, its cliff sides, and the last 1/3 mile of this ridge-line before Sheep Mountain summit which is dangerous to attempt (all SAR team members were helicoptered in today who were involved in today's search on the top perimeter areas and top sides of Sheep Mountain Summit);

Thank you all and to be continued..
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
rayhiker

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just found out about this now. Oh no! Very sad but Joe and all the searchers are in my prayers. What a wonderful person gpsjoe is. I hope he is okay. Sad to think that he's out there now. I wish I could join in the search effort (I've summited mt peeley and know the area) but I'm still hampered with the bad ankle I've had since the end of april 2009. I'll be there with the searchers in spirit.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Over on HAZ, a leader of the search team logged on and begged people to hold off looking for Joe, since it may hinder the expert searchers:

Hike AZ folks,
My name is David Bremson of Maricopa County Sheriff's Office Mountain Rescue/ Central Arizona Mountain Rescue Association. We are the primary team involved in the search for Joe (with outstanding assistance from Gila County/TRSAR).
It seems as though many of you would like to venture in to the area to search for Joe. Although we can not restrict you from doing so, please be aware of the following issues:
-As untrained searchers, it is likely that you could destroy any evidence of his presence by being in the area.
-The area is very challenging, do not go somewhere that is hazardous. We don't want anyone to get injured as this will delay the on-going search.
-If you do decide to search for him and you find him, please do not approach him or touch him or his equipment in any way. This will inhibit our ability to conduct an investigation in to the incident.
-If you do find him, contact the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office immediately and mark the location with your gps. Return to the trailhead and wait for a responding Deputy.
-I recommend that you wait until after the weekend as we will have many resources in the area and need access to the trailhead, which is very small and has limited parking. We also may need it to land our helicopter. If your vehicle is in the parking lot, we will not be able to use it.
It is great to see how close knit this community is and how you want to support a fellow hiker and his family. This would be a better place if everyone cared as much.
David Bremson
Mountain Rescue
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I will say, this area is so thick with vegetation and it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. The more eyes the better.
I'm sure everyone will cooperate and be organized since we are all thinking what's best to locate Joe. At this point I must say the more the better chance we have of finding him.
I will bring my walkie talkies, I suggest everyone who has one brings it as well so we can stay organized and efficient.

The folks who went there today, most made it to Sheep Mtn. have not seen anything yet. So, yes more eyes won't hurt.
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thoughts and prayers are with you Gabrielle...and all those whose attempts will be made to locate our friend. God Bless you all and may he keep you safe.
thebrayer

PostPosted: 11/23/2010, 6:19 pm    Post subject: gpsjoe Reply to topic Reply with quote

Has anyone searched the 88 trail from the Az trail to Sheep Creek Cabin? It's a little beyond my range unless I'm going to spend the night. But it's something I haven't heard anyone talk about.

Is anyone going out over the holiday weekend?
tibber

PostPosted: 11/24/2010, 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://www.hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtopic.php?t=5678

and FYI:
http://www.paysonroundup.com/news/2010/nov/23/search-missing-hiker-called/
cakewalk

PostPosted: 12/5/2010, 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is there any additional news or information?
sbkelley

PostPosted: 12/8/2010, 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey all,

Wanted to let you know that Ken, Tanya, and I are heading out there on Saturday to look for any more signs. I see the search areas/tracks on HAZ and will upload to my GPS. Any interest, let me know. Meeting at my house in Tempe at 6:30

-Scott
OregonHiker

PostPosted: 12/9/2010, 5:19 pm    Post subject: gpsjoe Reply to topic Reply with quote

Was hiking up on Mt Peeley today and glassing the hillsides for any sign of gpsjoe. There were several other people there still searching when I left at 2:00pm. On the way out on FR201 I saw two SUVs heading up the road at a high speed and shortly thereafter a sheriffs SUV headed in the same direction. Could someone have found gpsjoe???
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 12/9/2010, 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I haven't heard anything yet, but you never know.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 12/9/2010, 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: gpsjoe Reply to topic Reply with quote

OregonHiker wrote:
Was hiking up on Mt Peeley today and glassing the hillsides for any sign of gpsjoe. There were several other people there still searching when I left at 2:00pm. On the way out on FR201 I saw two SUVs heading up the road at a high speed and shortly thereafter a sheriffs SUV headed in the same direction. Could someone have found gpsjoe???

Sadly not!
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: