ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
New hiker
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve-o

PostPosted: 10/27/2010, 10:26 am    Post subject: New hiker Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hope to draw on the vast knowledge of those that have gone before. We recently did a small overnight trip to Hutch's pool at sebino canyon. Was my first backpacking trip. I loved it. My friends and I are wanting to do another in november, but we don't know where. We like the idea of a campsite near enough to water, we are limited to just overnight due to our work schedules. Looking for suggestions. The more details the better. I thank all of you willing to read this, and maybe even make suggestions. We have not geared up for really cold weather yet.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/28/2010, 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Perhaps you could tell us where you are located so we can give you info about places close to you....?

I want to shine!
Steve-o

PostPosted: 10/28/2010, 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That was so painfully obvious an error I am ashamed I made it. I live in Chandler, Arizona.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/28/2010, 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OH my goodness!!! Trish! Tony! All you Supes back packing experts! We need you in here!
Not being highly versed in the trails in the Superstition Wilderness I can only suggest the two books. "Hikers Guide to the Superstition Wilderness" and "Superstition Wilderness Trails East" Which will give you a boat load full of trails to play on. One of which is said to be a really awesome overnight. Haunted Canyon into Tony Cabin. Look out for boyscouts though cause it is a popular destination. That being said I must say I have never over nighted there though I have hiked it many times....

I want to shine!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 10/28/2010, 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you have an SUV I would recommend heading to Reavis Ranch from the South. It's a 7 mile hike into the ranch, can get a bit chilly as the ranch is around 5k' feet I recall. But that just makes the spiced rum hot apple cider at camp even better.
There is a creek that runs along the camp so water shouldn't be an issue.
South Link

If you have a car you could go around to the North side trailhead, but it's a longer 9 mile one way into the camp with more hills along the way.
North Link

I'm sure others will have some suggestions as well.

-TIM-

Give us a like on Facebook too please!
http://www.facebook.com/jdombstravels
Steve-o

PostPosted: 10/28/2010, 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You guys are awesome, thank you! we do have access to 4 wheel drive with some clearance.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/28/2010, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Welcome, Steve-o

Me and a few friends from work will be at Reavis the weekend of 11/6.

I wouldn't push it much past that unless you want to be weighed down with warm clothes.
I was there on a Halloween weekend a couple of years ago, and it was 19 degs for a low.
That place definitely has its own ecosystem going. A definite must do though.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 10/28/2010, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We're planning what looks to be like a Haunted Canyon trip on 11/20/10. Its a good easy overnighter into another history filled destination. There's a small cave to explore as well that's just off the trail not too far from camp too. Nothing big, just about 50 feet from front to back.

GTG
azhiker96

PostPosted: 10/29/2010, 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You can dry camp just about anywhere in the Western Superstitions and will have great views of the stars. Just put on your pack and hike in from First Water TH or Peralta TH until you find a place you like. Hiker's Guide to the Superstition Wilderness is packed with hikes and history of the area. Charlebois spring is a good place if you don't want to carry all of your own water.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 10/29/2010, 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree with Tom and Tim (Davis2001)...Reavis Ranch is one awesome and "must do" backpack trip. Not sure about the road conditions as I haven't been there in a few years. Pack warm as I've been there in November and woke to temps in the teens. Another trip to consider in the Western Supes would be along to Dutchman to Charlesbois/Marsh Valley. Charlesbois is almost always flowing.

Lots of good hiking in the Supes at this time of year. Of course if you wait until January you'll have NO lack of water as long as we've had the Winter rains.

PEACE
Hope this helps

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Steve-o

PostPosted: 10/30/2010, 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is awesome, I thank you all for your great advice.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 10/30/2010, 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There's water at Hackberry spring and quite a bit of water in pools in first water creek. Also saw large cat tracks there today so I wouldn't recommend a solo trip.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 10/30/2010, 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

George,

Cat tracks at Hackberry? I don't ever recall seeing them there before.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 11/1/2010, 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

These tracks were in first water creek. It was a single set of tracks about 4.5 inches wide that followed the drainage for over a mile. They went downstream and were either following or preceding a single set of size 8ish boot tracks. I was hiking upstream with two people and a dog.

As a side note. If you park at mile marker 208 on Apache trail you can see several vehicles of varying ages in the ravine at the south end of the curve. Pictures located here.
lzyboy

PostPosted: 11/2/2010, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom Treks wrote:
Me and a few friends from work will be at Reavis the weekend of 11/6.

I don't know if has been mentioned on the forums yet or not, but be aware SR88 will be closed between Fish Creek hill and the ADOT yard from 11/15 to 2/25/11. Here is the link http://www.azdot.gov/highways/projects/sr88_apache_trail_repairs/PDF/ApacheTrail_101510.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: