ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Hart Prairie Work Weekend - October 21-23 2011 (Another!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(10) (0)
User
GTG
paintninaz
Hikngrl
chihiggs
beckett
Trishness
wanderingsoul
azbackpackr
Shawn
Tom Treks
User
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 9/23/2010, 6:51 am    Post subject: Hart Prairie Work Weekend - October 21-23 2011 (Another!) Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is our regularly planned annual weekend at Hart Prairie.
Please come planning to work at any various task at the preserve.
Note we will be handling the signup here, so get signed up here asap (first come, first served) with the dates you are coming.

We also need to round up food options so we can all contribute to food or we can do a food buy and have everyone contribute. Please post your preference.

Hart Prarie Preserve Work weekend
October 21-23 2011$25.00 for food
You can contact Neil @ nchapman@tnc.org
Great views, fence work, good food, seed collecting, weed removal, cool crisp air, slash and rounds...

How to get there: If you are coming from Phoenix, be aware that it will take you at least 3 hours (3.5 from Tempe) so arriving Friday is best. If you arrive after dark, look for the porchlight to your left as you come in, you'll be seeing a rail fence in your headlights. We'll keep someone around to direct you to your cabin as long as possible. If you know you'll be really late, please let us know and we'll figure something out.

* From the south, take I-17 to Flagstaff, I-17 becomes Milton Road after you enter Flagstaff.
* Continue north, pass under a railroad bridge and turn left onto Humphreys
* Turn left at Columbus (at traffic light) onto Hwy 180
* Follow 180 out of town approximately 10 miles and past the Arizona Snowbowl ski resort
* Just past mile post 225, turn right onto Forest Road 151 (there is a bright yellow daytime headlight use sign at this turn);
* Drive 4.5 miles and look for The Nature Conservancy sign on the right.
* Leave the gate the way you find it. Please drive slowly into the Preserve (15 mph);
* From the gate to cabins is about half a mile
* Drive to your assigned cabin or ask whereabouts upon your arrival, unload, and please park your vehicle in the corral parking area north of the lodge, please back into your spot

Information Sheet
Most of you all know this but just in case: please read this thoroughly and contact Neil or Shawn if you have questions.

Key Information
• Cabins are rustic but comfortable, beds are fine, bring your own linens or sleeping bags.
• The sewer system works but how or why is largely a mystery; use the composting toilet if at all possible
• Shower house is a wonderful luxury after a good day of grubby work. Bring your own towel and toiletries.
• Water is trucked in, use it sparingly, please don’t waste it. If you see a plumbing leak let the Preserve folks know immediately.
• Any food left out unprotected-indoors or out-will likely be confiscated by small furry critters of the night.
• We will be TNC volunteers this weekend, please sign the waiver forms.
• **No pets are allowed on the preserve.** (Sorry 'bout that.)
• There are no commercial facilities at the preserve, i.e., no store, no ice, no sodas, etc. Bring what you need with you.
• We are responsible for cleaning up the cabins before we leave.

What to wear and bring
• Sturdy shoes, work gloves, water container to take to the work sites (additional water available)
• Snacks if you need any to help you make it to lunch time
• Sun protection (wide brim hat, loose clothing that covers limbs, sunscreen); the air is clear and the elevation is 8,400 ft, sun burn happens quickly.
• Long-sleeve shirt and pants (recommended)
• Rain gear and warmer clothing (Check the forecast – It is generally 15 degrees cooler!!! than Flagstaff.) [http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=FGZ&llon=-112.433747&rlon=-111.171247&tlat=35.829584&blat=34.567084&smap=1&mp=0&map.x=137&map.y=98]
• Personal first aid kit
• Towels and toiletries
• Sleeping bag or linens – extra blankets available in the cabins
• Small cooler for your snacks/drinks and food for any meals not arranged by the group (Refrigerator in lodge kitchen will be used by our chefs.)
• Flashlight or head lamp is a must (not fun getting lost at night traversing between buildings)
• Cabins and bathrooms have lights but the Preserve's electricity is home made--solar and a generator-- so please use appliances sparingly (if not needed immediately-shut it off).
• Binoculars, Camera
• The Preserve provides eating utensils and dishes.

Cabin dwellers: Cabins have small heaters that work quite well
Bring sleeping bag and pillow or your own bedding. Keep all personal food items in a cooler or plastic bin to protect from small critter invasion. Keep doors closed.

Physical requirements to participate:
Moderate to hard work, lighter options availalble. Work elevation is just over 8,400 feet—a big change from the valley. Work at your own pace, think safety!

Meals
• Meals are a group effort. Dish washing duties are shared; please step up for a meal’s worth.
• BYOB
• Bring your own food for snacks during work and any additional meals you will need if you choose to arrive or leave outside the provided meal service period. (See arrival and departure options below.)
• There is a well equipped kitchen, and a gas grill out back.

Agenda
Friday - You may arrive any time after 1:00 +/-.
The kitchen will be open to you to make your dinner. You will be responsible for cleaning up after yourself. There may be room to store your food in the kitchen however, the group meal provisions have first dibbs on the limited refridgerator space. (See what to wear and bring above.)
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 9/23/2010, 8:49 am    Post subject: we're in Reply to topic Reply with quote

Diane and I are a for sure for this weekend. Neil has been updated.

I think there's a full moon that weekend.

GTG
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/23/2010, 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Neil notified Very Happy
tibber

PostPosted: 9/23/2010, 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Neil notified Very Happy

ditto
paintninaz

PostPosted: 9/23/2010, 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

tibber wrote:
desertgirl wrote:
Neil notified Very Happy

ditto

double ditto. Very Happy

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/23/2010, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Any thing we need to do for dinner, BF etc ? Food co-ordination or does the $25 cover everything ?
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 9/23/2010, 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm in.

Not sure about the food deal.

Hey Shawn, what are the food plans? Will $25 cover it?
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/23/2010, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I asked off earlier for this weekend based on a previous discussion. Just notified Neil. I'll be there this year.

Don't know the leaf changing schedule but possibly a good time for that also, maybe?

Let us know what else we may need for the food or extra $$. I'll bring a case of water like I did last time.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 9/26/2010, 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I e-mailed Neil, but haven't received any reply yet. Have any of you received a reply from him?
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/26/2010, 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom,
Just reading my emails and yes I did receive a reply. I asked if he needed anything else from me, so maybe he was just replying to my question. Said he'd send something out once he started lining up cabins.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Hnak

PostPosted: 9/27/2010, 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Aw, heck, I'd sure like to join you all, but I've already committed to a hike in the Canyon. I'll be on the Nankoweap trail from the 17th through the 27th... Oh well, have lots of fun!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/27/2010, 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hnak wrote:
Aw, heck, I'd sure like to join you all, but I've already committed to a hike in the Canyon. I'll be on the Nankoweap trail from the 17th through the 27th... Oh well, have lots of fun!

Hope ya have a great hike and bring back some awesome pictures and a great trip report ...been a while since I had any armchair hikes Smile
Hnak

PostPosted: 9/29/2010, 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Hnak wrote:

Hope ya have a great hike and bring back some awesome pictures and a great trip report ...been a while since I had any armchair hikes Smile

I'll do that, thanks! Very Happy
Hnak

PostPosted: 9/29/2010, 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Hnak wrote:

I'll do that, thanks! Very Happy
chihiggs

PostPosted: 9/29/2010, 7:03 pm    Post subject: work weekend Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very Happy Just e-mailed Neil!! I am in if it's open!! Thanks for the heads-up Diane!!

I don't care what that Todd says--you ROCK!! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: