ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Camping trip
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 9/19/2010, 10:47 am    Post subject: Camping trip Reply to topic Reply with quote

Heading out on the 27th for a couple of days camping and returning on friday. Will be taking the popup and may be to soon for fall colors. Plan on some hiking. Any suggestions ?
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 9/26/2010, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like I will be throwing a dart. Weather is prety good above the Rim, so somewhere between Bear Canyon Lake and Black Canyon Lake. Several coworkers had camped on their days off near Mormon Lake, Woods Canyon and Black Canyon Lake. Ane several made it to various places in the White Mtns. Weather outlook for the next couple of weeks looks great may get a second trip. Was thinking about the White Mtns. but I have to return on friday and not sunday Like I thought I might be able to do. Plan on taking my jeep wrangler unlimited sport 4x4 on this trip that I bought new two weeks ago. Brother is camping at Wet Beaver Creek and returns monday and he was planning on several hikes in the area.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 9/27/2010, 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been out backpacking or I would have answered your query. Any place up on the Plateau right now is stellar. It should be perfect for you. The Southern Taurids are very active with some amazingly spectacular fireballs. A huge blue, green, orange fireball came down out of the Summer Triangle right down through Vega on to Arcturus and seemed to crash behind the western hills. Another came out of Sagittarius, the pointer to the center of the galaxy and arched across the sky. The Milky Way is up nicely but was overtaken somewhat by the brightness of the moon. Every night it gave us an hour more before brightening the sky. When it did brighten it was brilliant.

Morning brought the Belt of Venus under the bright setting moon.

It is a great time to be out with a pack in the backcountry.
Deborah

PostPosted: 9/28/2010, 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm jealous, stuck inside at work dreaming about being a through hiker somewhere living in my ragged clothes and eating bugs for dinner.
Up at dawn, cooking breakfast, and hiking 8 hours a day and then going to bed.
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 9/28/2010, 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Deborah wrote:
I'm jealous, stuck inside at work dreaming about being a through hiker somewhere living in my ragged clothes and eating bugs for dinner.
Up at dawn, cooking breakfast, and hiking 8 hours a day and then going to bed.

Oh Deborah, no intentional bugs at least, we made pizza on our Outback Oven (the holy grail of backpacking food), Mexican Tabouli, real cooked chocolate pudding, Cashew Rice Currey, Thai soups among other gourmet dishes. Hot Chinese whole leaf Ti Kuan Yin Oolong tea of course for both breakfast and lunch but again home made gourmet hot chocolate for the star gazing. Up at the crack of dawn and usually hike till noon, siesta till 3 and then go again until the sun goes down photographing it all on the way. As far as I'm concerned that is what is best in life. Way Cool
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 9/28/2010, 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

[/quote]As far as I'm concerned that is what is best in life.

[quote]

Ditto that my friend. Just returned from two glorius weeks in Colorado, roaming about. The fall colors were stellar. Stayed in this ghost town (Animas Forks) under the light of the full moon. The Spirits were welcoming.

BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 9/29/2010, 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kent I see you are keeping on the move too. You have always like Colorado. That great moonlight lenswork. The spirits were good to you.

I remember your interest in Moki Marbles and came across some stellar examples on a recent backpack. Their origin is unknown but it is believed that they may have been formed by iron meteorites hitting sand. They say these are 150,000,000 years old. The spirits were good to me too.

Found some Moki spacships, stange droplets and even an incredible Moki cannonball, lots of Moki stuff.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/1/2010, 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just got back from Boulder, Utah, and reality (work and school) has set in while the weather continues to be incredible.

My son manages somehow to live in Boulder, pop 200. He and his gal have rented an Airstream trailer on some secluded property, and usually at least one of them is employed. Ragged hippie lifestyle, very attractive to me--reminded me of living in Hawaii so many years ago.

I hiked with my son along the Escalante River, and a couple other places as well. Just very short hikes, though.

He took me to meet some Mormon friends of his who live in a hand-built log cabin in the middle of hayfields, which are in a narrow valley surrounded by the big beautiful cliffs. Little kids running around barefoot, and when we got there the family was grinding up elk hamburger to freeze. They had a huge vegetable garden, too.

I also spent time at Lees Ferry, both going and coming. Hung out with some river people. I knew one of them, so got to meet more of them.
Deborah

PostPosted: 10/1/2010, 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think they have the right idea.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 10/2/2010, 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Came back last night from a couple of days at Canyon Point. Took the new jeep and the camper and set up base camp. Everthing worked great. Went for some night rides out on the forest, night sky was clear don't remember that many stars and lots of shooting stars. Some elk were bugling sounded like a forest kazoo band. Next trip in a couple of weeks I will take the 05 Wrangler and head for the White Mtns. for a backpack trip.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/4/2010, 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I went backpacking along the Black River about 2 weeks ago. Very, very nice right about now.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 10/4/2010, 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Was planning a week long trip to the White Mtns. but I yielded my time off to a coworker. Weather has been great doing a local overnighter tonight or tomorrow.Next multiday trip is later in the month.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 10/7/2010, 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Perfect weather! I spoke to a business associate of mine who was up in the White Mountain area today and he said everything is still green as can be. Not even a hint of fall color.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/7/2010, 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, he must not have gone to Escudilla! The whole north side is yellow. I am hiking it on Sunday. Often the south side turns yellow a lot later than the north side, but of course, I can't see it from here.

So, I will report back on Sunday. But it is true, the fall colors are late this year. Fine with me. I prefer warm weather!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 10/7/2010, 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think he may have been in Pinetop/Lakeside area.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: