ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Escaping the heat at Blue Ridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 7/30/2010, 7:05 am    Post subject: Escaping the heat at Blue Ridge Reply to topic Reply with quote

Escaped last thursday to escape the heat of the valley. Set up base camp at Blue Ridge Campground, a small 10 unit campground. The Arizona Trail connects with the campground. During my five day stay, it rained every afternoon with the exception of the first day when it rained all day.
But I was able to set up my campsite (popup camper) during a lull from the rain. Did not observe much wildlife, lots of campers in the area. Explored the area of FR 616 including Pivot Rock Springs and on another day visited Jack Canyon. Did a trip to Winslow, and yep did stand on the cornor along with a large number of German tourists. Folks in Winslow were quite friendly, honked and waved until I realized that the two main streets I had been driving on were one way. During my stay the highs were mid 70's and the lows mid 50's. Brother was also camping (Casita travel trailer), we have camped in the area since moving to Arizona in 67. Did get to observe a Desert Primrose bloom one evening was one of the coolest things I had oserved during the trip. Hope to return soon.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 7/30/2010, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Attempting to post pictures of my recent trip, Laptop is not very friendly.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/30/2010, 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Friggin' SOGGY over this way. I don't recommend anyone coming up here to camp until it starts to dry up a bit. If you have a camper or are staying at a motel or cabin, might be ok.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 7/30/2010, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Baldy rain gauge reports nearly 4 inches in the last week and I suspect other parts of the mtn got more. Bet the road crews are having lots of fun in the mud! Last summer the stats show they got 10 inches from May-Sept with around 14 inches of summer rain being about avg lately.

Yearly precip in the 80's was nearly 37 inches but since the drought it has never reached the avg with 2002 being the worst with next to no snowfall and under 10 inches of precip for the year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: