ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
3 hikers missing in search of Lost Dutchman treasure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/18/2010, 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, Suz and I figured out I got mixed up. Sorry bout that!
oliverr99

PostPosted: 7/23/2010, 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Any word on these hikers??
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/23/2010, 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

They called off the search. So either they fell down a mine or got lost in a canyon where no one has looked yet, or something like that.
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 7/25/2010, 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
So either they fell down a mine or got lost in a canyon where no one has looked yet, or something like that.

...or they found the treasure and have "disappeared" with the stash
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/25/2010, 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shocked

Hmmm...after reading the interviews with family and friends, I have to say, nah...
azhiker96

PostPosted: 7/25/2010, 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SSAR was out at First Water TH on Saturday. They left about 5am. I did a hike with Jim Hatt to check an area for the hikers. We didn't find any sign of them. However, he did introduce me to Tom Kollenborn when we returned to the TH. Tom was sitting in the shade waiting for the searchers to return. (Smart man.)

I did a solo hike today up Boulder Canyon trail and covering most of La Barge creek. There is water in the upper and lower sections. I also saw my first buzzworm of the season. He was coiled on a log in the shade of a large rock. My flash scared him though and he raised a fit. No sign of the missing men though.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/25/2010, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is totally cool, George. I followed the thread on DUSA for a bit that Suz posted. Very interesting stuff. Hatt, Kollenborn, Carlson, very interesting.

Totally cool you got to hike with Hatt and met Kollenborn, too bad you all didn't find any clues. I'm sure someone will stumble upon something sooner or later, if they are actually out there.
Suz

PostPosted: 7/25/2010, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ah George, I had hoped you would jump in here, over there and out there! I've got a couple of phone questions for you. I have heard from a few others that are putting in some foot time, too. You guys rock.

For those that have contacted me---Thanks for the heads up
Robert and I have been emailing over the last couple of days--I did share what little I have and continue to be in contact.

There is an amazing amount of effort going into this search/recovery.
Keeping the missing folks, the families and search teams in my thoughts.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 7/27/2010, 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There are still flights checking the drainages and washes. All we have right now are theories but 4 men are still missing (Jesse Capen in December).

Rest assured I am being careful. I mark my spare Beartooth map with my route and leave it at home along with a time to call if I don't return. There is water in some catch holes now but the humidity makes it hard to keep from overheating.
Suz

PostPosted: 8/3/2010, 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

George, my contact (forensic anthropologist) at ME's office says definitely NOT human. Not sure if that's good news or bad news.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 8/4/2010, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi Suz, thanks. I already got that feedback. For the people going "Huh?" I'll explain. I spent over 12 hours yesterday with Jim Hatt checking over the area around Jesse Capen's campsite. We found a scapula on the trail which seemed too fresh and also probably a deer. We also found a broken pair of glasses which are not Jesse's.

My school started up so I won't be able to hit the trails as much for awhile.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/5/2010, 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

To George and everyone, sure admire the tenacity of yourself and other people going out in the onerous heat and continuing the search. I can imagine the families appreciate the effort very much.
rookieone

PostPosted: 8/20/2010, 9:55 pm    Post subject: THINK ABOUT IT... Reply to topic Reply with quote

ILL PUT MY TWO CENTS IN FIRST OFF ITS GREAT TO HEAR ABOUT EVERYONE TAKEING THE TIME AND LOOKING FOR THESE GUYS I GUESS FOUR TOTAL COUNTING THE ONE IN DEC-09 ANYWAY... THERES ONLY TWO POSSIBLE IDEAS LEFT ON THE TABLE... THERE ARE ABOUT FIVE OF US GUYS AT WORK AND THIS HAS BEEN THE TOPIC ALL THIS PAST WEEK. LET ME START AT THE BEGINING... IN 1996 I WAS A MEMBER OF THE GOLD SERACHERS OF SOUTHERN NEVADA LAS VEGAS AND AT THE TIME I HAD BEEN A MEMBER FOR ABOUT TWO MONTHS WHEN ONE NIGHT AT OUR MONTHLY MEETING THIS OLDER GENTLEMAN WENT TO THE FRONT OF THE ROOM AND RIGHT BEFORE BREAK TOLD ALL 125 IN ATTENDECE HIS STORY OF HIS DAD IN THE LATE 30S TO EARLY 40S HE SAID IT WAS BEFORE PEARL HARBOR... THAT ONE SAT. HIS DAD AND A FRIEND WERE HEADED TO LAS VEGAS TO VISIT A FRIEND WHO HAD BEEN WORKING ON HOOVER DAM SO THEY LOADED UP THE OLD CAR GAS.WATER. OIL....ETC.. YOU NO AS WELL AS I DO IF YOU WERE BORN BEFORE 1972 THAT ANY CAR BACK IN THE DAY YOU TOOK EVERYTHING YOU COULD CARRY TO WORK ON IT IN CASE YOU BROKE DOWN..... ANY WAY THEY BROKE DOWN ABOUT 40 MILES OUTSIDE OF BARSTOW.. [OVERHEATED] ... WHILE THE CAR WAS COOLING DOWN THEY WENT TO THIS BIG PILE OF ROCKS ... NOW YOU HAVE TO REMBER THAT I-15 WAS ALL DIRT ROAD BACK THAN... HE SAID THE ROCKS WERE AS BIG AS THE CAR AND THAT HIS FRIEND AND HIM WERE JUMPING FROM ROCK TO ROCK WHEN THEY NOTICED A CAVE.. MORE LIKE A WHOLE THEY CRAWLED DOWN INTO THE ROCKS AND UNDERNETH ONE BIG ROCK THEY WENT DOWN AND DOWN AND TO THE POINT OF ABOUT 100 FEET BELOW THE GROUND .... THEY ENTERED THIS GAINT OPENING AT ABOUT THIS DEPTH THAT HAD A COOL RUSH OF AIR AND AS THEY LOOKED DOWN THEY SAW A RIVER ABOUT 8-10 FEET ACROSS AND FLOWING BACK INTO THE GROUND 20 FEET AWAY.. THEY SAID THE WATER WAS VERY REFRESHING AND THAT THE FUNNY THING WAS THAT THERE WAS GOLD. DOWN THERE AND THAT MOST OF IT THEY SAW WAS IN DIFFERENT SHAPES AND SIZES .THEY GOT OUT OF THERE AND BACK TO THERE CAR AND FIGURED THEY GO BACK SOME DAY TO GET SOME OF THIS GOLD.. THIS WAS NEVER TO BE AND THAT HIS DAD HAD GAVE HIM TWO SAMPLES OF THIS GOLD ON HIS DEATH BED WHICH HE HAD THERE FOR US TO SEE. BOY WAS IT NICE.... WOW ILL NEVER FORGET IT.. ANYWAY I GUESS THEY TRIED TO FIND THIS LOCATION SEVERAL TIMES EVEN INTO THE 1970S TO NO AVAIL. AND BY THAT TIME THE HIGHWAY WAS LONG SINCE DONE.. MY POINT TO THIS MATTER IS 1ST THESE GUYS IN THE SUPERS FOUND SOMETHING AND COULD NOT OR WERE NOT ABLE ONCE THEY GOT INTO WHERE THEY WERE GOING GET OUT AND HAVE EXPIRED TRYING TO RETURN TO THERE VECHILE.. WHY DO I THINK SO. BECAUSE THEY ONLY TOOK A SMALL SUPPLY LIST WITH THEM. AND THERE RENT AT THE MOTEL WAS PAID UP FOR THREE NIGHTS.......... AND MY 2ND DEAL IS THAT THEY WERE NEVER THERE TO BEGIN WITH THINK ABOUT IT YOU PEOPLE THAT HAVE POSTED HERE AND HAVE WALK YOUR WAY THEY DID AND FOUND NOTHING ALONG WITH THE SEARCH AND RESCUE THAT NO THOSE CANYONS AS WELL AS ANY FOUND NOTHING... THAT MY TWO CENTS LET ME NO WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THIS.. THANKS JIM FROM GOLDEN VALLEY HOME OF THE PRISON BREAK.... Rolling Eyes
azhiker96

PostPosted: 8/21/2010, 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well Jim, your guess is as good as mine. SSAR is still searching several times a week. I would guess that means they think the guys are in there somewhere.

Wow, a large underground aquifer 40 miles outside of Barstow. Now that's an exciting thought! Very Happy
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/21/2010, 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hmmmmm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: