ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
3 hikers missing in search of Lost Dutchman treasure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/14/2010, 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wish I could join you, but--I would get a massive migraine and be useless... I don't do heat.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 7/14/2010, 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The long running rumor regarding the "lost goldmine" is that it's somewhere in Music Canyon/Music Mountain area so maybe they were headed there? The only water in that area would be Charlebois Spring and maybe Labarge Spring but haven't been out there since January so I've not idea if there is any water at all. It's still a good 9+ miles from First Water to that area and I can't even imagine hiking that in the middle of summer......in tennis shoes.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/15/2010, 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Someone on HAZ was in touch with one of the searchers. (See HAZ forum.) She said they were going to take a break last night. She didn't give a lot of details, except they were obviously totally unfit and unprepared.

If you will recall, when illegal immigrants die in the desert they are scattered around. They are never all in one place together. They crawl under bushes for shade. I am thinking these guys did just that. And they are probably not all together. And as someone commented on HAZ, maybe even the buzzards think it is too hot.

I don't think there is any mystery to this, and as soon as it cools off more hikers will flood the area and find them, if they are not found sooner. You also have to remember that it is NOT Superstition Search and Rescue doing the search, it is the Sheriff's dept. No comment.
Deborah

PostPosted: 7/15/2010, 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Remember the couple a few years ago who hike Picacho at 10 AM in june on one of the hottest days of the year. They were found 1/4 mile from the trailhead off trail and separated.

Search and Rescue should give it up!
Dwight was missing for over a year until a hunter found his remains only 1/4 mile from his house.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/15/2010, 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, they need to bring back the private group. They did a better job. There has been a huge political controversy about it in the Phx. area.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 7/15/2010, 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

MCSO is in charge of the incident, not PCSO. Both have been doing going jobs.
Suz

PostPosted: 7/15/2010, 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
She didn't give a lot of details, except they were obviously totally unfit and unprepared.

I did not say that at all nor did I intend to imply that. Nobody knows for sure what they had with them when they stepped onto the trail. The mother says they didn't have enough water but she wasn't there, I'm sure they had time to stop at a store on their drive.....nobody knows unless they saw them exit the vehicle.

I believe it is important to correct facts here for many reasons.

I followed along online with a Zion canyoneering SAR event a few weeks ago because I happened to be privy to some info prior to that search from one of the members on the team. Thankfully that search had a happy ending. Turns out a family member of the missing canyoneers joined the particular website where locals were having an online and timely discussion about the missing folks and their permitted canyon. The people on the site were able to help the family -- not scare the hell out of them. The locals noted that the approach was confusing, it would be likely that they made a wrong turn and ended up in a particular impassable spot. They were right on the money---that's where the family sat for 2 days stuck on a ledge. We all know mistakes were made...that's why SAR was called in the first place. I'm just saying we never know who is desperately searching for information about their loved ones and I believe we need to be at least mindful and respectful of that. There are many local experts that are members of this site.

So with my post on HAZ I simply wanted to let folks know that there was going to be a break last night in the search because the SAR members were exhausted and things would resume this AM. Clues have been found....not all positive ones but they haven't called off the search so that's good. Searchers do believe that they have found enough water out there in the wilderness to lead them to believe that it IS possible that a seasoned outdoorsman would be able to sustain...so the search continues.

I can tell you that there was a map in the car with specific places circled -- including old mines...they were prospectors.

azbackpackr wrote:
Well, they need to bring back the private group. They did a better job. There has been a huge political controversy about it in the Phx. area.
I do believe that nearly ALL of the SSAR team did transition over to Pinal. The primary difference now is in the commanding officer.

Sending positive thoughts for the missing folks, their families and the search teams.
oliverr99

PostPosted: 7/15/2010, 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well whoever is doing the search, I hope they find them, dead or alive so the family can have some closure.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/15/2010, 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz, I never saw a post by you, I saw Sirena's post. She said she knows someone on the search team. She didn't give many details.

I just now went back on there and see where you posted, but hadn't read that yet.
Suz

PostPosted: 7/15/2010, 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sent you a PM
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 7/15/2010, 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Missing Hikers' Families Coming to AZ
Updated: Thursday, 15 Jul 2010, 4:52 PM MDT
Published : Thursday, 15 Jul 2010, 4:52 PM MDT

APACHE JUNCTION - The families of three Utah men missing in the Superstition Mountains are heading to Arizona, according to the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office.

The men have been in the mountains since Sunday, looking for the legendary Lost Dutchman Gold Mine.

Land and air searches have covered more than 100 miles of land so far, but have not uncovered any trace of the three hikers. Curtis Meriworth, 67, Ardean Charles, 62, and Malcolm Meeks, 51 were last heard from on July 6.

Family members say the men planned to explore the mountains during the day and stay at a hotel at night -- so they didn't bring overnight camping gear.

The car was found Sunday parked at a trailhead.

The area near Lost Dutchman State Park and the Superstition Wilderness is filled with steep canyons, soaring rocky outcroppings, cactus and heavy brush. With temperatures soaring above 110 degrees this week and the men apparently unprepared for lengthy backcountry stays, their lives could be in serious danger.

We contacted the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office to find out if it is possible the men left the mountains on their own, and also asked if they could have personal or business reasons for wanting to disappear.

MCSO says they have informally discussed those possibilities, but added that detectives have not formally investigated the business dealings or finances of the missing men yet.

http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albur67&id=lost_hikers&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/15/2010, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nah, you can rule that "personal or business reasons" out. I will bet my last paycheck they are still somewhere in the Supes.
Suz

PostPosted: 7/16/2010, 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2013&sid=06a6b3bda720b380adf61cd8500ea302&start=30

This is a very interesting thread about the missing hikers as it gets visits from all sorts of author's about the Superstitions, the most recent from Tom Kollenborn.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 7/16/2010, 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the link to that thread Suz. It is interesting reading.
sirena

PostPosted: 7/17/2010, 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Um...Liz- I never said I knew anyone on the search team. You must be mistaken.

Sirena's Wanderings
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

Arizona Trail for Fibromyalgia
http://www.aztrail4fms.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: