ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Monsoon camping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 6/30/2010, 3:47 pm    Post subject: Monsoon camping Reply to topic Reply with quote

Brother is camping near Clints Well for a week long camping trip. He has a Casita travel trailer, named Monsoon. After he picked up his trailer at the factory in Texas he drove to Woods Canyon Lake to camp. The day he arrived the monsoon season started so he named his camper Monsoon. From what I noted on the weather sites it has rained in the area and along the "Rim". His camper is fully equiped with all the amemities though he considers he is roughing it since the wife is not along.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/1/2010, 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, please! Roughing it? Laughing

I looked at those Casitas but they seemed very crowded and very, very expensive, even for used ones. I read all the reviews from satisfied customers. The thing I liked best was that they could be hauled on a 4wd road. The thing I liked least was when I went inside one. Very cramped feeling, narrow passageway. At that time my husband also had not lost 120 pounds, as he has now, and I am sure he would have felt cramped as well.

If I were single, though, I would consider buying one (or other travel trailer and truck) as a primary home, and get rid of this huge weight around my neck called "house, yard and furniture."
Deborah

PostPosted: 7/3/2010, 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If I buy a travel trailer I am living it and dumping the Rent. I can't wait to turn 55 so I can move into one of those 55+ RV parks.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/3/2010, 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Some may laugh but I have seen some really nice 55+ parks, and a lot of them are really affordable for people who live totally on Social Security. I was out in San Diego, where I am from, and felt I could not move back there if I wanted to, it is so expensive. Then we visited one of those parks in a nice area--Valley Center--$16,000 for the well-kept older mobile home that was for sale and $500 for the space rental. (And unlike in Yuma, you can live in San Diego year round since the climate is so nice.

Down in Yuma, in the winter, there are a lot of full-time RVers and they are not all rich people with $350,000 motor homes. There are people living full time on the road who have a truck and travel trailer, and are living on the cheap. In Yuma they can boondock in the desert for 6 months for $180 BLM fee, or they can rent a space in Yuma Foothills for less than $200 a month. They go back to Oregon or Canada or wherever, for the summer.

On the other hand, you can live in Costa Rica or Thailand on your social security, as long as you don't insist on living near other Americans.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 7/4/2010, 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Noted it has been nice weather along the Rim, looks like next camping trip will be the 17th thru the 20th or 23rd tru the 26th. (more likely). At least two overnighters until then.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/4/2010, 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am going on that Arizona Backpacking Club meetup group Baldy backpack the 23-26th. If you hike Baldy, look for the backpackers!

It was dry all day yesterday, you couldn't ask for a better summer day. I had to work at the dude ranch, but at least I was outside in a beautiful place.

The local towns all celebrated the 4th of July yesterday, so I went to the Springerville fireworks. Best fireworks I have ever seen have been in Springerville! TEP chips in to pay for them, and they get the latest high tech wonders. Plus, they shoot off at least 10 at once so you don't know when the grand finale is, until it happens, and that will blow you away!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: