ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
I miss the Canyon...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deborah

PostPosted: 6/2/2010, 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

[quote="azbackpackr"]Hey, I put my permit request in this morning! First choice: Boucher-Hermit, because I haven't done Boucher. Put in a couple other choices as well. So we will see what I get.

I just did Grandview Trail to Horseshoe Mesa. Down 3 miles and 3.000 feet. Then off Horseshoe Mesa to Page Spring to get water. That was an additional .5 miles and 1,000 feet. It was an awesome trip and I can see why people get addicted to packbacking in the canyon. It was my first time, and I have lived in AZ 22 years now.
I want to go back? When are you doing your trip in October?
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/2/2010, 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, and I had to break down and buy myself an internal frame pack in order to be able to do the rest of the Canyon... Too much scrambling on the primitive trails I have not yet done, and boy, with that old thing (see my profile photo) it was always really dicey due to it being so top heavy. I could carry a TON of weight on that frame, though. But it put me through hell in South Canyon.

I am getting to be an old she-mule, so had to make some adjustments.
Deborah

PostPosted: 6/2/2010, 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Take care of your knees. Mine were screaming several times. It was nice to be able to go slow and stop at various places on the way down to wait for my friends. Although I didn't stop as much going up. SO much easier. I was surprised how easy it was going up because it was hell going down and that trail is like you said steep!!! We were heros at the overlook! Although I talked several visitors out of even starting down the trail.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/2/2010, 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

PS My other choices were Monument/Granite Rapids, since I have never been down Monument Canyon to the river (only to the bp campground). Also put down the Hermit-Tonto-BA loop as third choice because I did it once before the other way around, and this time also put in for different campsites along that route, to make it different. Thought about doing Thunder River or Nankoweap, but maybe in the springtime. Have been to Thunder River, but it was my first GC backpack in '93.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/2/2010, 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did you do Boucher this year, Deborah? My permit request is for October. I have heard it is steep. My knees have improved with use of poles, use of glucosamine and MSM, and regular chiropractic visits.
Hnak

PostPosted: 6/2/2010, 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There are a couple steep spots on the Boucher. There is a place going through the Supai where you might need to use your hands to scramble down this one spot, maybe 15 - 20 feet. Also, after the saddle by White's Butte, the route down through the Redwall is in places pretty steep, consisting of a lot of stair-steps. Just take your time and enjoy the process...
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/2/2010, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks, Hank. I just this afternoon hiked 5 miles with 25 lbs. in my new Golite pack. I think the true test of whether a pack fits is if you can forget you are wearing it some of the time. This did happen!

I decided to buy a length of plastic sheeting but have found out there is no longer such a product as Visklamps. You have to be a real Colin Fletcher fan to know about Visqueen and Visklamps.
Hnak

PostPosted: 6/4/2010, 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
Thanks, Hank. I just this afternoon hiked 5 miles with 25 lbs. in my new Golite pack. I think the true test of whether a pack fits is if you can forget you are wearing it some of the time. This did happen!

That's very true. That's why I like my old Gregory, even though it's a heavy pack, after a while I forget I'm wearing it. Of course, I forget a lot of other things too.. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: