ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Hiker dies after fall on Four Peaks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 5/8/2010, 9:08 pm    Post subject: Hiker dies after fall on Four Peaks Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sad and I wonder on what trail as he could be doing the traverse?

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/centralsouthernarizona/other/story/MCSO-Hiker-dies-after-fall-on-Four-Peaks-east-of/Trex7ersv0CH-jV9MBl5AQ.cspx
beckett

PostPosted: 5/9/2010, 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So sad...but the words from his family were quite touching.

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Deborah

PostPosted: 5/9/2010, 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

wow, alot of accidents out there this weekend. I am happy to note that the lady we rescued this AM off the super trail after she took a 60 foot tumble is in stable condition at UMC with Multiple fractures.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 5/10/2010, 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Deborah wrote:
wow, alot of accidents out there this weekend. I am happy to note that the lady we rescued this AM off the super trail after she took a 60 foot tumble is in stable condition at UMC with Multiple fractures.

Did they helicopter her off Wrightson from 1 of the saddles?

I wondered about a Wrightson rescue while on a steep snowshoe traverse above Baldy Saddle last winter--decided to abort and pursued the winter route as there was 4+ feet of snow.

Wonder how they would do a winter rescue over 10k in the White Mtn's on my favorite winter playground of Mt Baldy Wilderness? Suspect you'd probably wait some time for a snowcat unless the Apache's came over from their Mt Warren trailhead but it's a wilderness?
Deborah

PostPosted: 5/11/2010, 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

She fell about 1-2 miles up the Super Trail from the Trailhead. A place where the trail switch backs and the canyon is below and the trail above.
EMT's, search and rescue, carried her out the trail via Stokes.
They airlifted her from the parking lot or somewhere close .I think they had an ambulance. Thanks to the us we found an easy way to get her out of the canyon up to the trail.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/11/2010, 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, you had an exciting day, Deborah! Glad the woman didn't die, anyway. Sounds like she will have a long recovery time. Would it be easy for someone to fall where she fell from, or was she doing something unusual that caused it to happen?

It is too bad about the guy on Brown's Peak. I heard he was in the chute going up. Heard he was filming or something like that, and fell.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 5/11/2010, 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Man, that is terrible for his family. I'm glad they were so understanding of his exploration needs.

GTG
Deborah

PostPosted: 5/12/2010, 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
Wow, you had an exciting day, Deborah! Glad the woman didn't die, anyway. Sounds like she will have a long recovery time. Would it be easy for someone to fall where she fell from, or was she doing something unusual that caused it to happen?

It is too bad about the guy on Brown's Peak. I heard he was in the chute going up. Heard he was filming or something like that, and fell.

Yes, you could fall in the place she fell if you tripped. She had Parkenson's and I don't know why her husband allowed her to hike up the trail alone. He was doing a trail run on Old Baldy and was going to meet her on the Super Trail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: