ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
May trip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 5/7/2010, 5:54 am    Post subject: May trip Reply to topic Reply with quote

Next camping trip planning looks like it may be at least 6 days and possibly extending to 9 days. Will also be mtn. biking, hiking and maybe an overnight backpack. Actually planning three trips depending on whats open/conditions and select the trip later.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/11/2010, 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mtn biking around Pinetop and Show Low dry and reasonable--I rode 20 miles on Sat, including Country Club Trail and some FS roads.

Above 8500 feet there are still big patches of snow in the high country near Sunrise and Big Lake. Furthermore, if you wanted to, let's say, ride the RR Grade Trail from 260 to West Baldy Trailhead, there are large ponds of snowmelt everywhere in those high meadows, and it is very wet and muddy. Stay below 8,000 and you should be fine.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/24/2010, 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, it is still May, but the snow is melting fast. Baldy is still covered in snow. Road to Big Lake is open via 261, but not via 273. Lower elevations, such as the Murray Basin Trail I mtn. biked yesterday, are very dry. I hear that Los Burros Trail over by McNary is also fairly dry, no real snow patches left, and very rideable. I rode Country Club in Pinetop a couple of weeks ago--also dry.

I have not checked mountain biking conditions on the Railroad Grade Trail, but I expect it is still marshy and wet. I also expect the Indian Springs/West Fork (near Big Lake--a 13-mile glorious singletrack ride) is still kind of wet.

Lots of snow free-hiking and mtn. biking available below 9,000 feet, is what I'm saying. I plan to get myself down toward Hannagan within a week or so, and also will be hiking up Escudilla next week with a group I belong to, White Mtn. Conservation League, which is pushing for an enlargement of the Escudilla Wilderness.

Over the past couple of weeks, the snow that was quite visible on the north slope of Escudilla has pretty much disappeared.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: