ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Rattlesnake Vaccine for Canines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/27/2010, 5:41 am    Post subject: Rattlesnake Vaccine for Canines Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, it really exists:
(BUT KEEP ON READING THE WHOLE THREAD BECAUSE IT MAY NOT ACTUALLY WORK. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!! Edited 5-16-10.)

http://www.agiltracs.org/snakebite_article.pdf

"What is Rattlesnake Vaccine?
Crotalus Atrox Toxiod is made using Western Diamondback rattlesnake venom. After vaccination a dog
produces antibodies that will begin neutralizing rattlesnake venom immediately if the dog is bit. Antibody
levels in a recently vaccinated dog are comparable to up to three vials of antivenin. Antivenin costs $500
per vial and is in increasingly short supply. The vaccine costs from $18 to $25 per shot. For dogs under
100 pounds, two initial shots one month apart and an annual booster a month before rattlesnake season
begins are required—a third initial shot is given to larger dogs.
The Hollister Veterinary Clinic estimates that treatment of a vaccinated dog that has been bit by a
rattlesnake will be around $400. Treatment of an unvaccinated dog that is bit by a rattlesnake will cost
$1500 to $2000 or more depending on how many vials of antivenin are required. More importantly to
many dog lovers, a vaccinated dog will experience less pain and will be at less risk of permanent injury.
Typical treatment for rattlesnake bite
Dogs that have not been vaccinated are given from
one to several vials of antivenin, plus steroid
shots to reduce swelling, and antibiotics to
prevent infection.
Dogs that have been vaccinated are treated with
steroid shots and antibiotics only—and in some
cases, antibiotics only."
Sun Ray

PostPosted: 3/27/2010, 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Both my dogs have received this vaccine. No noticeable ill effects. They have also both been 'rattlesnake trained' with a shock collar. I think it's good insurance against the high cost of the antivenin.
Suz

PostPosted: 3/30/2010, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm thinking about trimming the bushes around my rattlesnake den. I've put it off because the Spurs were hanging out there during the cold weather.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/31/2010, 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

On HAZ, a veterinarian posted a few words of caution. Apparently this vaccine's results are anecdotal only, and have not been scientifically peer-reviewed. Since many or most rattlesnake bites do not inject enough venom to do much damage, it is easy to see how anecdotal stories could arise, saying that the vaccine works, when maybe actually it is no better than a placebo.

Here is what he posted:
"I have to comment on the “Rattlesnake Vaccine” as I am a practicing veterinarian, board certified and acted as the advisor to the veterinarian that has written all the textbooks and articles concerning rattlesnakes.

Vaccination sounds like a simple solution to a very complex problem. It is not.
A snakebite is a very complex problem with lots of variables. Lots of things determine the amount and quality of venom the snake releases with each bite. The size of the snake, the species (Mohave are the worst) whether the snake has recently eaten and used his venom. Is it an early spring bite or a very young snake which makes the venom more potent?. Lastly is it a defensive warning bite or a full on aggressive bite. That said there is no way of knowing if the vaccine worked or it was just the luck of the dog getting a dry bite from a snake that had just eaten. Bottom line there has been no scientific, peer reviewed studies that show that this vaccine works any better than a placebo. The only research that is provided by the manufacturer is all anecdotal stories about how well it worked. Warm and fuzzy, but not science. It is not FDA approved and all the veterinary organizations do not recommend its use.

Even with vaccine. The manufacture recommends seeing a veterinarian after a bite and the administration of anti venom. The best thing you can do for your dog after a bite is use your car keys and get to a veterinarian and allow antivenin use. It’s proven science that the survival rate is much higher, both for you and your dog if anti venom is used. Forget all the tourniquets, cutting and sucking that you learned in Boy Scouts, it does more harm than good.

The worst thing about the vaccine is that it gives a pet owner a false sense of security and delays medical attention."

Incidentally, if anyone reading this still owns one of those little old rubber cup cut-and-suck "snakebite kits" be advised they are very dangerous, and have not been recommended by any first aid manuals for more than 20 years. Do not use them. THROW THEM AWAY!!! I have been a certified Wilderness First Responder for over 6 years, and before that was certified in Health Professional first aid, and before that, certified in first aid via the Boy Scouts since the early 90's, and I can tell you that the instructors of these courses are often heard to be pleading with people to get rid of those things. You will go into SHOCK if used as directed--the cutting is very damaging, and the sucking is useless. THROW IT AWAY if you have it.
jbboelens@yahoo.com

PostPosted: 5/15/2010, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Rattlesnake shots for canines Reply to topic Reply with quote

Had my three Rat Terriers in for these, 2 out of the three have huge lumps from the injection sites. My older two have had them last year, one had a small reaction last year, my male had a reaction this year.
The youngest just had her first, and I doubt that I will continue with them.
These may be great for larger dogs, but I wonder about the small breeds.
Anyone else have like reactions with a small breed. I live close to Davis in Calif. and will be trying to contact them regarding this.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/16/2010, 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Since the vet above says there is no real evidence the shots work, I wouldn't waste my money. There apparently has been no peer-reviewed scientific study done, as he pointed out. Most rattlesnake bites do not carry much venom, some carry no venom at all, so anecdotal stories have arisen saying that this stuff works. But really it could all be due to the fact that all rattlesnake bites are not alike. Would you take a medicine that the FDA had not rigorously studied? No. So why give it to your dog?

I am going to rewrite the opening statement, as I first posted this when I knew nothing about it.
jbboelens@yahoo.com

PostPosted: 5/16/2010, 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well after my post yesterday, My little Rat Terrier Jillie's injection site was the size of a silver dollar if not larger, and half that height just exploded. Puss rotten tissue and all. Going back to vet for antibiotics now, and have them drain my Male JB's swollen injection site if not lance it. No more of these for my small dogs. Will pay for the antibiotics and steroid shot if they get bit. I just paid for more vet bills with this stuff.
azbackpackr, thanks for editing, hope others read and beware...
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/16/2010, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, my, hope your dog gets better quickly. Sounds painful. Poor little thing...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: