ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Trailhead Theft...Heads Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 2/28/2010, 9:50 am    Post subject: Trailhead Theft...Heads Up Reply to topic Reply with quote

I posted this on my Facebook, so thought I would also say something here as well. Just sort of a heads up for all you hikers. I was the victim of trailhead vandalism and theft on Saturday. Just went out for a quick maintenance/fitness hike near Usery. I parked at one of the Levee Trail Gates off McKellips. There is an actual pull in right there, with room for about 3-4 vehicles. I have a little route I do out there from time to time when I don't have the whole day to hike, so I was only gone about 2.5 hours. Came back to a busted rear window and a missing backpack. The backpack had nothing of value in it (well at least to anyone else but me) just gym clothes and my running shoes and a few personal items. MCSO told me it is frequent in that area. This is my first experience with this happening. Just want you all to be aware that the thiefs are out there and to hike WITH your ids, money, cards, etc. I always do that, thank goodness. My backpack was in view behind my drivers seat, but I kind of forgot I even left it there, so just a reminder to check what is visible before you take off.
Seems that staying close to town makes it easier for the scumbags, I shoulda been way out in the middle of nowhere where I feel safe. Laughing
No sympathy, please....just letting you all know to look out for yourself.
Thanks!
SJ
bbzebrageek

PostPosted: 2/28/2010, 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is very good advice - that has been happening a lot more out here in Cali too. Another tip for everybody - put everything away and out of site BEFORE you get to the parking lot or trailhead. Thieves often times will hang out and watch, waiting for a good time to break in and watch what people put into their trunks. I have seen very nice cameras, lenses, wallets, purses and other equipment stolen from the trunk or glove box. It's sad we have to worry about our cars while we are out enjoying nature and peace!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/28/2010, 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey fellow San Diegan! Born and raised there! Thought about moving back there, but since it is so crowded it is not very appealing. My husband and I go hiking every day in summer here in eastern AZ, and if there is even ONE car at a trailhead, we will often decide to pick another trail. (And people still wonder why I moved up here? Go figger.)

I wonder if car alarms are helpful? I guess in a lot of places people ignore them.

I have heard of people using an old beater car, and sometimes not even locking it, for their trailhead car. There used to be a lot of problems in parts of Colorado. People said old beater cars were less interesting to thieves.

Here's an Alaska forum about trailhead thievery and what the forum folks want to do about it:
http://alaskabikeblog.blogspot.com/2007/06/trailhead-thieves-suck.html
Deborah

PostPosted: 2/28/2010, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Happens alot here in Tucson too!
mr2005

PostPosted: 3/4/2010, 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:

Here's an Alaska forum about trailhead thievery and what the forum folks want to do about it:
http://alaskabikeblog.blogspot.com/2007/06/trailhead-thieves-suck.html

it sucks that ths is so common.
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 3/4/2010, 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Deborah wrote:
Happens alot here in Tucson too!

Seems like most of the Tucson area car clouting problems are at the Tucson Mountain trailheads.

Bill
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/7/2010, 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Too bad all the hiking clubs can't organize some sort of volunteer watch program at the worst trailheads. Maybe they could, actually...

I had heard that King's Canyon was bad, over in the Tucson Mtns. but at least there you have the choice of parking in the AZSDM parking lot.

I copied and pasted the original post to a HAZ thread that popped up the other day, so if anyone is interested they are talking about it over there as well.
ck1

PostPosted: 3/7/2010, 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SandeJ,

Thought of you the other day. On Thursday morning I went out to my truck (parked in the "spot" next to my house where I have parked for 6 years) and discovered my driver window shattered. Snagged my work bag with the laptop inside. Big pain in the rear. Sucks.

"The Journey is the Destination"
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 3/8/2010, 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh my! The theives are very busy these days as they got my parents whole truck last week! It was found on Friday night in Eloy! They haven't been able to see it yet so we don't know what damage took place but we will find out today when they go to pick it up..."they" say it is " drivable" thats all the info they go when they called at 11:30 Friday night when they found it.

I want to shine!
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 3/8/2010, 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow...I am not alone...
COLIN! Things that make you say "aw crap!" ( or worse!)
I hope your insurance covers the laptop....
Diane....that's even worse....hope insurance takes care of them!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 3/8/2010, 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh my gosh you guys, I'm really sorry to hear for ALL of your losses.

Just plain Sad. As SandeJ said, I hope insurance covers you all.

Thank goodness None of you were hurt in the process of the theft. People are getting crazy these days !!!

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
carter_abel@cox.net

PostPosted: 3/30/2010, 8:08 am    Post subject: Revis Ranch Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had my battery wires cut at the Revis Ranch trail 109 trailhead. They got in my truck and took CD's and stuff.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/31/2010, 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When did that happen? And why would they want to cut battery wires?
carter_abel@cox.net

PostPosted: 3/31/2010, 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It was about 8 months ago. If they cut the wires then the alarm doesn't go off and they can take their time. My truck was lifted and it was easy to get under.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/31/2010, 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gotcha.

Like I've been saying, we need snipers! Mr. Green Bang Bang
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: