ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Sleeping bag?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 2/18/2010, 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

WildCard wrote:
Also what pack do you all think would be better for a 2 Nighter?

Kelty Coyote 4750
or
Kelty Redwing 3100

If you can get everything in the Redwing, take that. Do you already have one/either of these packs?

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
WildCard

PostPosted: 2/18/2010, 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had the redwing but i took it back because i didn't know if i was still going to be able to go or not, i did fill it full of a bunch of stuff to see how much it can hold and its pretty big.

If i find a good sleeping bag i might get the redwing again and just roll the sleeping bag and strap it to the bottom.

~ Carpe Diem ~
WildCard

PostPosted: 2/19/2010, 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Alright this is what im thinking about getting so far.

Mountain Hardwear Switch +20 Sleeping Bag - Long

Therm-a-Rest Ridge Rest Sleeping Pad - Large

Kelty Redwing 3100 Pack

CamelBak OMEGA Reservoir - 100 fl. oz.

CamelBak Ergo Hydrolock.

How does that sound?

~ Carpe Diem ~
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 2/19/2010, 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Depending on what you are paying for the RW 3100, you may be able to find a lighter pack that holds as much at about the same price. It seems they are going for about $100; is that accurate?

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
WildCard

PostPosted: 2/19/2010, 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sportsman's warehouse has it for $89.99 plus they have 10% off almost everything in the store so it should be $81

~ Carpe Diem ~
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 2/19/2010, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

WildCard wrote:
Sportsman's warehouse has it for $89.99 plus they have 10% off almost everything in the store so it should be $81

So, with tax that would be about $90.
This seller has a Vapor Trail, a nice pack, for $40, (list price is about $169). She lists it as a 'women's', but they don't make a women's Vapor Trail, so it's likely just a medium Vapor Trail. It also has the (optional) lid, based on the photo. This pack is just 2#, saving you at least a pound-and-a-quarter over the RW 3100.
http://rockies.craigslist.org/spo/1564330613.html

If you need a 'long' pack (I noted you needed a 'long' bag in your gear list above) This guy is selling an REI "Flash 65" at $100. (not as much a bargain as the V.T. above, but if you need a 'long'...) http://denver.craigslist.org/spo/1607444876.html

WildCard

PostPosted: 2/19/2010, 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ya but ill also probably use it for long day hikes, camping and other stuff to so the extra pouches would come in handy. But ill take a look at them and keep looking. Not sure if ill be going on the trip in early march or late march now anyways.

Well so far i got the,

Therm-a-Rest Ridge Rest Sleeping Pad - Large

CamelBak OMEGA Reservoir - 100 fl. oz.

CamelBak Ergo Hydrolock.

COCOON Cotton Mummy Liner

Marmot Trestles +15 Sleeping Bag - Long X-Wide

I hope it will be a good bag. Anyone used it?

I tried the MH switch 35 degree bag at REI and it wasn't all that comfortable so i decided not to go with 20 degree version.

~ Carpe Diem ~
WildCard

PostPosted: 2/21/2010, 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I ended up getting the Redwing for $64.80 and that includes tax.

I also took the COCOON Cotton Mummy Liner and the Marmot Trestles +15 Sleeping Bag back, i didn't understand the en rating at the time because it was labeled , comfort, low and extreme i didn't know that the comfort rating was for women and the low was for men . The comfort rating on the bag is 24 so i thought that was the right one when i got it then found out for men its 12 degrees. Its an awesome comfy bag tho but i have no intention on going on a trip that's that cold anytime soon.

So I am thinking of rescheduling the trip and possibly going sometime in April, but i might get the Mountain Hardwear Switch +35 Sleeping Bag - Long since its the only other reasonable mummy bag that will fit me.

~ Carpe Diem ~
knarfster

PostPosted: 3/25/2010, 1:54 pm    Post subject: Good inexpenisve "Big" bags Reply to topic Reply with quote

You should look at geartrade.com I buy from there all the time, and if you are buying from "backcoutry" you are getting a good piece of equipment for a good price.

I have recently seen some Big Agnes bags there, look at the "Skinny fish" i saw one for $77, plus $10 delivered. The BA mummy bags are cut MUCH larger than other bags as a matter of fact their rectangular bags are too big (and I am 5'7" and 220 lbs, so pretty wide). Remember you are going to need a air mattress if you use a BA bag because there is no insulation on the bottom, you put your air pad in the bottom sleeve. But they are great, you can roll around in them and not get tangled up. Add at least 10 degrees to the rating though.

Some other mummy bags that will be "tighter".

I also see A LOT of the Slick Rock bags by Alps Mountaineering on there (from backcountry as well) It is a 3 lb synthetic bag rated to 20 degrees, most of them are around $70 shipped.

If you are looking for a new bag, Mountain Hardwear just came out with a new "20 degree" bag called the Pinole. It retails for $80, weighs 3 lbs 3 oz and has an EN rating of T-limit 26 (What a man would be comfortable at, and a T-Comfort of 35 (What a woman would be comfortable at). The EN rating doesn't tell you what you will be comfortable at, but now we have a way to compare bags from different companies, at least the companies that are using it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: