ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
INSANE River Data
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/21/2010, 6:29 pm    Post subject: INSANE River Data Reply to topic Reply with quote

Insane river data right now, and this is only the beginning? It keeps going up by the minute, especially Tonto Creek. As I'm posting this:

Verde below Tangle Creek, 31,600
Tonto Creek above Gun Creek, 34,000
Agua Fria River, 21,000
Cherry Creek, 6,000
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/current/?type=flow
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 1/21/2010, 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here is Tonto Creek near Roosevelt that I have watched from time to time.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/uv?09499000

Scroll down to the gauge height graphic. To hike the Del Shay trail you must cross Tonto Creek at the 76 Ranch. This gauge must read under 2 feet for that to be possible. It is now at 14 + feet and climbing. I bet the 76 Ranch itself is flooded. These are incredible numbers.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/21/2010, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Check the one for Cave Creek, below Cottonwood Canyon. 9700??! Can that be right, the normal flow below Page on the Colorado is less than that.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/21/2010, 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, all the values should be right. Cave at 10,800, Tonto at 51,500, Cherry at 10,000, Verde almost 50,000, Black 10,000, etc. If you look at the chart every 15 to 30 min some of the values are rising astronomically.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/21/2010, 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
Yes, all the values should be right. Cave at 10,800, Tonto at 51,500, Cherry at 10,000, Verde almost 50,000, Black 10,000, etc. If you look at the chart every 15 to 30 min some of the values are rising astronomically.

VERDE R BLW TANGLE CREEK, ABV HORSESHOE DAM, AZ. 01/21 22:00 MST 20.26 65,000

TONTO CREEK ABV GUN CREEK, NEAR ROOSEVELT, AZ. 01/21 21:50 MST 15.71 52,800

Wow, thats a lot of water coming in.

GTG
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/21/2010, 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's raining up here, too, melting the snow, and that'll be going down the Black (already up) and LCR. LCR does not show any real big rise. I am not sure if this is a true value or if the gauges are messed up.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/22/2010, 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SRP started release water on the Verde System yesterday and probably the Salt today. Noted barometric pressure was 23.08" at Clints Well yesterday, powerfull storm. 4' of snow on the ground at Forest Lakes yesterday at sundown. Also had two tornado alerts last night for Scottsdale and Mesa Gilbert.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/22/2010, 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

All the river data values are up this morning. School cancelled here in Round Valley due to snow, so I don't have to drive the bus. So I am going to try to drive just to the edge of town to go skiing. I could ski right from my house, though. But it is not really that deep, maybe 5 inches on the street. And it is too warm. We need some really cold temps in order for it to stay around. Temp on my front porch right now hovering at about 32 degrees. Way too warm. It will be a lot colder in Greer and Alpine of course, and the snow is likely to be three feet deep, too! I seriously doubt I could even get to those places if I wanted to right now.

Just now, at almost 8 a.m., I stepped outside and it is silent. Usually at this time there is traffic noise. Maybe I will ski from home after all! Then I won't have to clean off the car or try to drive on unplowed streets!
Deborah

PostPosted: 1/22/2010, 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lucky Bum! I want a rain day! Some days it pays to have a truck since the roads in Tucson turn to rivers with the right amount of rain! I left for work 15 min. early this morning so I would make it on time.
The Riallto river was running pretty good , although I didn't see much since it was dark and I was driving at 6:15 this AM.
My husband reports every wash and gully is running high out in Avra Valley, floodplain USA.
He has built some canyons on his land that have filled up with water.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/22/2010, 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

INSANE Alright!
I am sure many a new record will be set with these flows ....
I did set a my own record of 4 inches of standing water in my back yard Sad No flooding but I have 2 very unhappy dogs...
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 1/23/2010, 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mt Baldy snowtel indicates nearly 6ft of new snow with a 7ft base... Suspect snowy parts of Baldy got over 7ft on new snow.

ADOT was even reporting new snowfall totals of 6-7ft on some of the snow prone highways such as around Forest Lakes and on Hwy 191 which remains closed in the area with the most snow.

Greer Lodge is suppose to be closed until Wed as I suspect power/road/staffing won't to avail till then? Suspect they have been hurting for business anyways as they've been cutting prices so probably little reason to rush their re-opening?
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 1/23/2010, 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suspect if it hadn't rained Flag would of gotten a ton of snow! Heard the rain has caused alot of issues including ice dams closing I-17.

The storms now ending might go down as the second-snowiest stretch for Flagstaff on record -- second only to the famously heavy winter of 1967.

"It's one of the top snowfall-producing storms we've had in history already," said Daryl Onton, meteorologist at the National Weather Service office in Bellemont.

As of Friday morning, Flagstaff had received 45.7 inches of snow since Sunday night, with more to come.

The record for one period of snowstorms is 84.6 inches of snow, set in 1967.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/23/2010, 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Greer, Alpine, Nutrioso and Blue have been evacuated to Round Valley Middle School, which is just down the street from me, due to several days of being without power or phone. I suspect, though, that many people who have woodstoves, kerosene lamps, etc, or generators, would probably elect to stay and enjoy being snowed in. I know I would if I lived in a cabin!
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 1/23/2010, 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Any ETA on power for Greer and/or Sunrise Ski?

Report was 373 being closed due to lines being down too.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 1/23/2010, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the reports from your territory guys!! You two are much better then Channel 3 or the other local TV news stations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: