ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
How to repair an MSR Dromedary water Bag ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/12/2010, 8:59 am    Post subject: How to repair an MSR Dromedary water Bag ? Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had meant to post this right after my hike down Tanner but am getting to it just now...

We stashed some water in a 4L MSR Dromedary sack at the top of the redwall for our Dry camp. Some darn mice munch a hole in it & decided water was not what it was looking for ....

Anyways, we lost a bit of water ( we boiled the rest and used it & are still here) but I am left with a sack that has a hole in it. I dedided I'd repair it ....

Have you repaired one of these and what's the prognosis... Confused
Should I even try ?
Wreckchaser

PostPosted: 1/12/2010, 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How to repair an MSR Dromedary water Bag ? Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
I had meant to post this right after my hike down Tanner but am getting to it just now...

We stashed some water in a 4L MSR Dromedary sack at the top of the redwall for our Dry camp. Some darn mice munch a hole in it & decided water was not what it was looking for ....

Anyways, we lost a bit of water ( we boiled the rest and used it & are still here) but I am left with a sack that has a hole in it. I dedided I'd repair it ....

Have you repaired one of these and what's the prognosis... Confused
Should I even try ?

Can you get the bladder out of the cover and is it made out of a soft rubber type of material? If it is anything like a Hydrostorm or Camelbak soft rubber type bladder, you can use a simple bicycle patch kit to repair the leak if the hole is not too large. I repaired a Hydrostorm bladder a couple of years ago and it hasn't leaked a drop since. If the bladder unit is made of a smooth clear plastic material that is somewhat rigid, then I don't believe that you can repair it.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 1/13/2010, 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have repaired my (fabric & rubber type, effectively just like a dromedary bag) drybag with this - it has remained airtight (and thus watertight) since. -> http://www.mcnett.com/Seam-Grip-Field-Repair-Kit-P134.aspx
If it's merely a small hole you might try just silicone first - you may already have some around the house.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 1/13/2010, 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. Never thought about trying to fix mine. Didn't think they could be fixed? Mine seems to have a leak in the seam. I'll have to check this out.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 1/13/2010, 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How to repair an MSR Dromedary water Bag ? Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
I am left with a sack that has a hole in it.

...hehe

(Sorry, but I've waaay too mature lately)

Kerouac
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 1/14/2010, 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

wanderingsoul wrote:
.... Mine seems to have a leak in the seam.

Michelle,
Is this a canvas/rubber fabric 'dromdary' bag like this?

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 1/14/2010, 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Now I have to go check it out. It is a fabric one (canvas?) maybe. looks like these only without the side grommets. Think it only has the grommet at top.
Let me go check. But I think it is like these.

Ok, it is a cheaper version of those. It is a fabric outside with a rubbery coating on the inside. Doesn't have a rubber bladder inside. Lookes like it might just be heat sealed around edges. Probably not something fixable or maybe I can just put a cloth over edge and run a hot iron to reseal the edge. I can see where the edge doesn't have as wide a seal as the other side and has a very small separation, just enough to leak. Worth a shot I guess.

Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/14/2010, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have one of these that I've abused for 5+ years. Never leaks, and after I run a bit of water thru it, no off taste either. I have used others but they leak. Well worth the investment.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 1/15/2010, 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

wanderingsoul wrote:

Ok, it is a cheaper version of those. It is a fabric outside with a rubbery coating on the inside. Doesn't have a rubber bladder inside. Lookes like it might just be heat sealed around edges. Probably not something fixable or maybe I can just put a cloth over edge and run a hot iron to reseal the edge. I can see where the edge doesn't have as wide a seal as the other side and has a very small separation, just enough to leak. Worth a shot I guess.

Michelle,
If yours is an MSR brand and it failed on the seam, they will likely warranty it as they offer a lifetime warranty.
The only reason I didn't mention that to Ambika is that hers was chewed, not likely a valid warranty claim

Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/15/2010, 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ambiki, these things are to haul water in, not something for dinner.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 1/17/2010, 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Cynhikr,
It is an MSR, and I didn't think of that. I only bought it as a secondary holder at camp. I'll have to check that out and maybe get one of the better ones also.

azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/18/2010, 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ravens also are bad about poking holes in those things. I always put mine in rock crevices, and cover with rocks so they aren't visible to the winged rats...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: