ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Push Ridge Wilderness Area Overnight Hike - Still possible?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
C AZ

PostPosted: 1/8/2010, 8:20 am    Post subject: Push Ridge Wilderness Area Overnight Hike - Still possible? Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm in Tucson in two weeks and have reserved two days for hiking. I'm pondering about an overnight hike in Push Ridge Wilderness Area (possibly also Mt. Lemmon). Last year at the same time I did a Bear Canyon - Sabino Canyon day hike and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Are there any specific routes you'd suggest? A loop would be nice.

Also what do I have to watch out for in regards to overnight out in the wilderness there? I heard rumors of scorpions, snakes and mountain lions. Are there specific precautions to take? Is a tent necessary or is staying out in the open OK?
Deborah

PostPosted: 1/8/2010, 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Please be advised that the Pusch Ridge Wilderness has 'big horn sheep lambing' restrictions from Jan 1-April . You may not be off trail or it could cost you up to $5,000. The only trails I can think of in the Pusch Wilderness are Pima Canyon, Finger Rock, and Ventana Canyon. They are very steep, and as you gain elevation you will need to remember to bring warm clothing, and sleeping equipment.
You can make loops with these trails.

Yes, Mountain lions have been spotted in these areas.

Please check out the Catalina Ranger District website for more restrictions on the Pusch Ridge Wilderness.

Deborah Moyer
Tucson
Deborah

PostPosted: 1/8/2010, 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just thought of another good loop hike that two of my friends did last weekend. Esperaro Trail to Bridal Veil falls.. water was found to pump near the falls. Night 1 at the falls. It is cold!!!!! - Cathedral Saddle down to the West fork of Sabino with an over night at Hutch's Pool.
They did a two night backpack. Water was available in most of this area.
We have seen definate mountain lion activity in these areas!

If you search for the Forest Service Web page it's the Santa Catalina Ranger district.

Not too much helpful on their web page ,I just checked it out.

Deborah
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/8/2010, 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cats don't attack stationary prey, generally, and if you're in a tent they are not like grizzly bears: they won't claw apart the tent to get at you. At least, that's my opinion.
C AZ

PostPosted: 1/8/2010, 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just called the Catalina ranger mainly to verify about the restrictions. The person never heard of a big horn sheep lambing restriction. There are restrictions to reduce the size of the group (not an issue for me) and one should not camp closer than 100ft from the trail but not further than 400ft. She also mentioned that scorpions and snakes should not be an issue at this time of year. Looking at this pdf I think the 400ft rule is in regards to the big horn sheep that you have mentioned. However, 400ft should allow me to find a place to set camp.

I've have been eying the Esperero-Cathedral Rock-West Fork (Hutch's Pool) - Sabino Canyon loop myself. Would the Mt. Lemmon area be more interesting or just colder and more risky with encountering snow?
Deborah

PostPosted: 1/8/2010, 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

In my opinion I would do the first choice. Not much on Mt .Lemmon unless you want to hike the AZ trail.

Not many loop choices.

Have a nice trip!
beckett

PostPosted: 1/8/2010, 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Be sure to come back to the site and write up your hike. I'd be interested in reading about your hike.

Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 1/8/2010, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

C AZ wrote:
I just called the Catalina ranger mainly to verify about the restrictions. The person never heard of a big horn sheep lambing restriction. There are restrictions to reduce the size of the group (not an issue for me) and one should not camp closer than 100ft from the trail but not further than 400ft.

The 400 ft rule is one of the restrictions in the Big Horn Sheep Management Area. The following links provide more info including a map:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TucsonHikers/message/3300
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TucsonHikers/message/3301

Bill
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/9/2010, 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

C AZ wrote:
I just called the Catalina ranger mainly to verify about the restrictions. The person never heard of a big horn sheep lambing restriction.

What? A Forest Service information receptionist who doesn't know anything? How can that be? Rolling Eyes

I agree with the above writers, I'd do the Esperero loop.
C AZ

PostPosted: 1/20/2010, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So I was planning to do the Esperero-Cathedral Rock-West Fork (Hutch's Pool) - Sabino Canyon loop this Saturday & Sunday. Staying overnight near the Bridal Veil Falls or along the Cathedral Rock trail. But now I see the weather forecast. Shocked

My estimates are that it will get 27 degrees at night and at least the Cathedral Rock Trail will be snow covered. Are these assumptions correct and are my plans null 'n void?

Unfortunately I only have this Saturday and Sunday available and will need to know tomorrow evening if I should pack my backpacking gear since I'll by flying in. So I'd appreciate any additional info or alternate routes that are possible this weekend. Man I was so excited about the hike.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/20/2010, 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hear there is snow right now at Romero Pass, which is near there and at a similar elevation.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 1/20/2010, 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

C AZ wrote:
So I was planning to do the Esperero-Cathedral Rock-West Fork (Hutch's Pool) - Sabino Canyon loop this Saturday & Sunday. Staying overnight near the Bridal Veil Falls or along the Cathedral Rock trail. But now I see the weather forecast. Shocked

My estimates are that it will get 27 degrees at night and at least the Cathedral Rock Trail will be snow covered. Are these assumptions correct and are my plans null 'n void?

The snow looked high today and the weather and temps wonderful but the forecast is;

Saturday
Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers. Snow level 4000 feet. Highs 49 to 54.

That area you want to do is beautiful but in places the trails have some steep pitches and are very rocky. If snow does lower to 4000' just about that entire route will be affected. Not good to take a tumble on those steep rocky trails. Some sections are just long angled granite slab and some with boulders sticking up all over. I have this friend, wont mention names but she take the occasional tumble when its dry. Jumping she tends to bounce well though.

These storms have been bringing very high winds from the south and southwest and will slam that face. I like snow but not like that. shivering Some dig it but we have been caught out in some of it that we did not like. Tis the season. Bummer on the timing for your time here.

You can just keep checking the forecast as it totally changes down this way. Today was sunny and mild, not the pounding rain they forecast a couple days ago.
C AZ

PostPosted: 1/20/2010, 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

[quote="BoyNhisDog"]
C AZ wrote:

Saturday
Snow level 4000 feet.

Yeah that doesn't sound good. Neither does low temperatures and rain up in the hills. Unless the forecast improves or someone can tell me about a nice hike with overnight option at low altitude I'm going to leave the tent and sleeping back at home. I tried to find something at low altitude around Tucson but all overnight hikes I found seem to go up into the mountains.

I guess I can pack snow pants and ski goggles instead and go skiing on Mt Lemon. Sunday might be nice enough for a small day hike.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/21/2010, 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here's a nice low elevation hike but it looks as though they may not allow backpacking there: http://www.pima.gov/nrpr/parks/cienega_creek/index.htm

This one does allow backpacking. You can hike for miles along the San Pedro. However, all of these creeks and rivers are prone to flooding. http://www.sanpedroriver.org/hike2010.pdf
Deborah

PostPosted: 1/21/2010, 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sorry the weather had bad timing for your trip.
Good Luck.
SNP East has some up and back trails one to douglas springs campground . No dangerous creek crossings about 6 miles to to campground from the End of Speedway.
You will have to stop at the East visitor center to get a permit.
Catalina highway may close if the weather is too bad, although by Sunday it probably will be reopened if the conditions are clear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: