ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Possible EPIC Hikes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizard

PostPosted: 12/4/2003, 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

On consideration, about half the hikes on my list are cross-country. While they may be "epic," it is not a good idea to take a group of the size you guys are considering on an off-trail hike.
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
Hnak

PostPosted: 12/4/2003, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Another candidate for Grandcanyon epic Kaibab-Tonto-B.Angel loop. This is logistically quite easy as a day trip.

Again this allows for a graduated EPIC...

1) S. Kaibab - Tonto - B.angel
2) S.Kaibab - River- B.Angel
3) Ofcourse...Rim-Rim-Rim

One way to make this a bit more interesting is to peel off the S. Kaibab just below Skeleton Point, turning left through the notch and head down to the Tonto. From there head over to the Prospectors route down to the river and thence to Phantom Ranch.

On the way back up the B.A. it is fun to take the old abandoned route between the slope just below Jacob's Ladder up to the Tonto Trail, just below Indian Garden.... Just an idea.... Hank
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/4/2003, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hnak wrote:
desertgirl wrote:
Another candidate for Grandcanyon epic Kaibab-Tonto-B.Angel loop. This is logistically quite easy as a day trip.

One way to make this a bit more interesting is to peel off the S. Kaibab just below Sleleton Point, turning left through the notch and head down to the Tonto. From there head over to the Prospectors route down to the river and thence to Phantom Ranch.

On the way back up the B.A. it is fun to take the old abandoned route between the slope just below Jacob's Ladder up to the Tonto Trail, just below Indian Garden.... Just an idea.... Hank

Folks... we've just met our first Grand Canyon based alien...

rofl
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 12/4/2003, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would love to do Mazatzal Peak. U have read up on it and that would be increadible. Nice mention Lizard.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 12/4/2003, 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hnak wrote:
desertgirl wrote:

One way to make this a bit more interesting is to peel off the S. Kaibab just below Sleleton Point, turning left through the notch and head down to the Tonto. From there head over to the Prospectors route down to the river and thence to Phantom Ranch.

Ok
Hnak

PostPosted: 12/5/2003, 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
Hnak wrote:

.... Just an idea.... Hank

Folks... we've just met our first Grand Canyon based alien...

rofl

Aw, shucks (now everybody knows...) Rolling Eyes
charles97

PostPosted: 12/9/2003, 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mount Graham: Ash Creek Trail top to bottom.

Start at Columbine Visitor Center, down Ash Creek Trail, past Oak Flat, down to desert floor, then back up. There's a loooong steep section in the middle of this trail that just rocks (or kills, depending on your perspective)!
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 12/9/2003, 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So close and yet so far... I always hate it not achieving the goal bu JW made the right decision to turn back at 2pm. We could not believe how quickly it got dark once we looked back. Sure glad we did the trail run, otherwise we might been hiking in the dark.

Let's put this one on the list to do it again and this time complete it. Smile
k9hiker

PostPosted: 12/9/2003, 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wounldn't suggest all of the Highline. At least a quarter of the total 52 are burned and not very pleasant. On section form the Dude fire in 90 or 91 and the other from a couple of summers ago, I think near Washington park TH. The rest is really nice though and if you go at the right time you can have wild strawberrys!

PostPosted: 12/12/2003, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hellsgate. Access along Tonto creek. This makes West Fork seem like a walk in the park.
Jeff12633

PostPosted: 12/30/2003, 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here are a few epic ideas, though none particularly original:

Humphreys Peak from the Inner Basin, particularly during early Winter when the I.B. road is closed but there's no snow yet.

Humphreys Peak in Winter, especially postholong waist-deep in the snow in February.

Traverse of the Superstitions--up Siphon Draw, down the Peralta Trail. I don't know if this can be done without technical climbing, though.

A trail-less ascent of Newman Peak, the highest point of the Picacho Mountains.

Traverse of the San Fransisco Peaks, starting and ending in Lockett Meadow.

A 3-way simultaneous ascent of Humphreys Peak--one group each ascending the IB trail, the Weatherford Trail, and the Humphreys Peak Trail, and each group descending a different way from their ascent.
evenstar

PostPosted: 12/30/2003, 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think it wise to remember that "Epic" is in the eye of the beholder; what might be Epic for our resident aliens would probably kill off 90% of our members; and what might be epic for that 90% would be a walk in the park to the aliens. Do we please only the aliens? Or do we seek a happy medium that most members can enjoy?
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 12/30/2003, 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

resident aliens

Isn't this an oxymoron? Chin Scratching
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/30/2003, 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Quote:

resident aliens

Isn't this an oxymoron? Chin Scratching

It depends Mike. I know of, and have verified, at least a half dozen aliens in this community alone who are pretending to be "residents" of Arizona.

Beam me up Beam me up Beam me up Beam me up Beam me up Beam me up
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 12/30/2003, 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
I think it wise to remember that "Epic" is in the eye of the beholder; what might be Epic for our resident aliens would probably kill off 90% of our members; and what might be epic for that 90% would be a walk in the park to the aliens. Do we please only the aliens? Or do we seek a happy medium that most members can enjoy?
I think we're already doing this. We have a number of hikes on the calendar, and they're of a variety of levels. Practically every weekend, there are multiple hikes planned. I enjoy the epics, I love the challenge and the adventure. But I also enjoy doing a moderate hike with a great group of friends. Is there some reason we can only plan one kind of hike here? Why not all kinds of hikes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: